Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I stayed there in the 90s with my parents so my knowledge of the campsite is probably a bit hazy and out of date 🙂

I do remember that the Landes area gets more rain than areas further north like Charente and Vendee, also the whole stretch from Bordeaux down to Biarritz is a huge pine forest and the beaches are massive with big dunes and rolling waves (good surfing beaches I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

Anyone got any any recommendations for campsites around maseille will be flying and drive but don't mind travelling up to 2 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

• Registered Users Posts: 10,125 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Hi all, 2 adults 3 kids, 11,9,2 looking at possibly doing a holiday in France in may or June or something like that.

Where would you guys recommend?

We are looking for activities for the kids like a pool, kids clubs maybe etc.

We are thinking about center parcs Longford for 4 nights midweek which costs approx €1300 but I wonder how that compares with France has to offer with its beaches and “guaranteed” weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Baybay

@tom1ie By the time you factor in the ferry or flights, possibly double the price but that would most likely be for a couple of weeks instead of the four night midweek break.

Most sites have pools, kids clubs, some sports facilities, maybe bar, restaurant, shop facilities depending on size. The weather tends to be drier & warmer the further south you go but northern France also enjoys lovely summer weather though sometimes with a few more showers.

The Vendee is popular so maybe have a look at some of the sites there. Royan, Île de Re area is lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Jack0125

Few things, kids clubs might not be open in all the campsites that early in season. And even some sites wont have their restaurant, takeaway, shop on full service that early

If ya going that early, weather a thing too, so I would be looking mediterian cost or even spain mainland. And in close proximity of a town for food options

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I would be reluctant to go to France that early in the year. The campsites really yonly ramp up in mid July and then it's 7 weeks of madness.

Unless you go all the way down south, there's no guarantee you'll get the weather either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Kids clubs etc geneally Mid June down around argeles sur mer….. you also have the restaurants along the promenade

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The La Sirene website explicitly states that all services run in low season, with some adaptations.

Getting cheap flights into bourdeaux, any good campsites around there 9 and 11 year old, need plenty of slides and english speaking kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

I was shopping around around at the weekend and noticed this, also flights to Biarritz were quite cheap. I nearly booked Le Ruisseau but in the end decided to give Spain a go! Flights to Girona were reasonable €1000 for 5 in Mid July inc luggage and are going to Castell Montgri. First time in about 10 years we’re not going to France!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Just bit the bullet and booked la rive for middle of July. Fly drive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Who are you flying with? Is it a mid week flight? Very reasonable.

You'll have a great time. Great water Park and lakeside location

Good shop on site for food, beer, wine, good restaurants

Zoo down the road, beaches close by, oysters in archeon bay

Ryanair flights for 2 adults 2 kids 700incl car park and 20 kg bag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭chases0102

Have not booked it yet but always book it through rentalcars and go with cheapest

Auto Europe can be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Charliebull

for kids that age and to keep car journey down id say domaine des ormes, great site for young kids and activites, last time we were there we had a 2 year old (thats 7 years ago mind)

only issue is weather in June is hit and miss I believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Firstly Pin Parasol one of the best sites we have been too (last year was our first time and going back this year)

Puy Du Fou is a brilliant experience, well worth a visit but my kids were 15, 12 and 9

bought the tickets in Pin Parasol reception , bought the fast tract (pass emotion I think it called) well worth the extra few quid as you skip the long ques (and they are long)

brought light snacks and ate on the go, restraunts are busy and over priced

we picked four shows and went to them, saved running around like mad people, last show was the Romans and what a show, went home after that around 4pm and that was long enough to be honest

did not have the translator device, TBH didnt need it as the shows were a visual and you could easily pick up what was going on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,125 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Thanks Charlie- I think centre parcs in June is starting to take preference anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

When searching for car rental, it is well worth looking for the companies who are close to the airport. They will generally have a shuttle bus at the terminal and it’s a 2 minute drive. These are much better value than the bigger companies at the airport terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

I used Virtuo last year from Nice Airport. I couldn’t recommend highly enough. No human interaction at all and you use your phone as the key which I was a bit concerned about but worked fine. They sent me the car park location, I found it and off I went. Much cheaper than the main stream rental companies and a great choice of cars. Not in all airports yet but worth checking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Any recommendations for renting around Bordeaux?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

After a great trip to Spain last year, I was going to skip a year, but as we get closer to the nice weather I'm considering another tour on the bike...

I'm tempted to book the time off to get a ferry to Cherbourg (North France), down Biarritz over a couple of days, stay there for a bit to take in the Wheels & Waves festival, then down into Spain and get the Ferry home to Ireland from Bilboa.

Because of the festival, do I need to consider more demand on campsites? Do I need to book in advance, should I expect inflated prices? What sites should I book into? If I do it I'll probably go solo, use hotels or guest houses mostly, but camping with my own tent in/around Biarritz.

Any advice or recommendations welcome.

I’m afraid I don’t know about the festival you mention but booking ahead for campsites would generally be recommended, especially in high summer. Are there likely to be any Olympic events being held nearby? (I don’t think they’re all around the Paris area but I might be wrong.) That would also have an impact on accommodation availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Hi All, Heading over to saint jean de monts for a week in June, I have a few questions for some regulars to the Rosslare - Cherbourg - Rosslare route. Sorry if they have been asked previous as i couldn't find anything.

1 - Is there products over in France that are alot cheaper in France than Ireland that people usually consider getting there and bringing home? (Anything at all really)

2- Will be stocking up on wine on the way home via Cherbourg, Can anyone recommend a vineyard around saint jean de monts/west nantes or even a place to buy between Renne and Cherbourg.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

we generally buy our wine in the local Hypermarché. There's also a big Auchan on the way into Cherbourg but you run the risk that you might be delayed on the way up and not have time to stop for wine. Wine in a box is great, find one you like and buy a few of them, you can get 3L and 5L sizes and they keep for up to 6 weeks once opened. Easier to pack into the car than bottles as well. Cremant is a good value alternative to Champagne as well.

• Advertisement

Do try to visit a couple of the local vigneron while you’re on holiday. Most are very happy for you to try their wares, some have English if it’s necessary & it’s a chance to try something lovely that you might otherwise miss.

Otherwise the Normandie Wine Warehouse in Cherbourg might be worth a visit.

Advertisement