Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Between €1000 - €1400 to get a child back to school? Who are they chatting to?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

FortySeven wrote: »
    In my kids school they read out all the kids names that didn't pay the 'voluntary' contribution in assembly to shame them.

Charming.

Seriously???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Seriously???

Yes.

Yes.

That's sickening alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

That's sickening alright.

Yeah, for the mugs that do have to pay to keep the school afloat having to hear the names of the pricks that would rather waste the money than contribute to their kids education it sure must be sickening alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,941 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

In my kids school they read out all the kids names that didn't pay the 'voluntary' contribution in assembly to shame them.

Charming.

jesus, i thought those days were long past ireland!

• Advertisement

Yeah, for the mugs that do have to pay to keep the school afloat having to hear the names of the pricks that would rather waste the money than contribute to their kids education it sure must be sickening alright.

That's a bit harsh.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    jesus, i thought those days were long past ireland!

It's a brand new school with a very young team of management and teachers.

That's a bit harsh.

In what way? That the usual scroungers get away with paying nothing?

It's a brand new school with a very young team of management and teachers.

sounds like they have a lot to learn about running a school and teaching kids

In what way? That the usual scroungers get away with paying nothing?

Perhaps the Catholic church could make up the shortfall. Call it an indoctrination tax?

• Advertisement

Perhaps the Catholic church could make up the shortfall. Call it an indoctrination tax?

Why the fluck should the Catholic Church pay for the Dutch Gold swigging,layabouts,kids education?

Yep there are people that waste money rather than contribute to their kids education. But your generalisation is either trolling or pure unadulterated ignorance of real life.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Try €325 for a more accurate figure.

Kids and back to school equals cost but what could easily be done without is the logoed uniforms, coats and sports gear. Doubling at least the cost of uniforms.

Unless you're flying then back to Zürich how are you spending €325 in back to school transport?

Why the fluck should the Catholic Church pay for the Dutch Gold swigging,layabouts,kids education?

WTF are you on about. I know people with two incomes and all the usual bills of running a home that struggle to pay school contributions, but you cant see past your bitter twisted view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

My kids primary school has the school crest embroidered onto the jumper and are €50 a pop. School tracksuit is the same and cost €65. I have 3 kids so x3 for just those items. I get away with tesco shirts, polo shirts n school pants, cheap but i find the last better than others.

Then its €60 per child for arts n crafts materials but because i have 3 i get a €10 discount. €40 per child "voluntary" contribution. Then there is the cost of the school bus, gymnastics, music (both compulsary) and a miriad of other little charges along the way.

The school has a book rental scheme but the bill hasn't arrived yet, last year was €150 for all 3.

After that its stuff like school bags, lunch boxes, pencil case and the bits to put in it.

Unfortunately a lot of the above costs are unavoidable but i swear whoever came up with the embroidered school crest scam deserves a kicking.

Saying that the school is brilliant amd my kids love it there

Owryan wrote: »
    My kids primary school has the school crest embroidered onto the jumper and are €50 a pop. School tracksuit is the same and cost €65. I have 3 kids so x3 for just those items. I get away with tesco shirts, polo shirts n school pants, cheap but i find the last better than others.

Then its €60 per child for arts n crafts materials but because i have 3 i get a €10 discount. €40 per child "voluntary" contribution. Then there is the cost of the school bus, gymnastics, music (both compulsary) and a miriad of other little charges along the way.

The school has a book rental scheme but the bill hasn't arrived yet, last year was €150 for all 3.

After that its stuff like school bags, lunch boxes, pencil case and the bits to put in it.

Unfortunately a lot of the above costs are unavoidable but i swear whoever came up with the embroidered school crest scam deserves a kicking.

Saying that the school is brilliant amd my kids love it there

whats your total costs per year?

WTF are you on about. I know people with two incomes and all the usual bills of running a home that struggle to pay school contributions, but you cant see past your bitter twisted view.

Yes and they are the people who don't mind paying the contributions because they have now freed up a serious amount of money as they no longer have creche fees.
    Generally the ones who moan are the people that had their kid in a subsidised creche for twenty quid a week to "give them a break"from being a "full time mammy xoxo"and are sometimes "in a relationship" with a "full time mad bastard".

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yes and they are the people who don't mind paying the contributions because they have now freed up a serious amount of money as they no longer have creche fees.
    Generally the ones who moan are the people that had their kid in a subsidised creche for twenty quid a week to "give them a break"from being a "full time mammy xoxo"and are sometimes "in a relationship" with a "full time mad bastard".
    And all this nonsense has exactly what to do with publicly shaming children?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    whats your total costs per year?

Very roughly and excluding lunches, school trips and the school bus (no cost yet) im looking at about €1500 between the 3 of them. Could be a little less after i see what they have from last year that isnt destroyed.

And all this nonsense has exactly what to do with publicly shaming children?

Nothing. Its just an excuse for a bitter rant about the class of people that sponge.

• Advertisement

Nothing. Its just an excuse for a bitter rant about the class of people that sponge.

Not really,I'm applauding the school with the balls to name the freeloaders.
    In fact I think it's a bargain to get your child educated, clothed,fed and looked after for up to seven hours a day for 1000-1400 euros per year.
    Compare that with the United States where a lot of my friends have kids in school.It's about a tenth of the price.

With 5 kids, we have never spent €1000 per child to go back to school. Only 1 child exceeded this amount when starting secondary school due as he had to get an iPad and all the school books on it, so that was €750. However the second and third year costs are reduced as a result and he doesn't have to carry ridiculous weight of books to school.
    The school books are something of a joke though, they release new revisions of books that contain only minor changes and then the school insist on using the new revision instead. It's a pure ripoff.
    We get all the uniforms from M&S online at the start of summer when they have the 20% off sale. These uniforms might be a little more expensive but have proven to significantly outlast their cheaper counterparts.
    Shoes and runners are a bit of a killer as kids feet keep bloody growing and they can be expensive. However Clark's in Kildare Village have good bargains.
    My 14 yr old is 195cm tall, so buying uniform for him is a challenge.
    I take issue with including transport and lunch as a back to school cost. This is a weekly expense.
    Luckily none of our schools ask for the voluntary contribution in Sept, it's usually later in the year and is between €50 in primary and €150 in secondary.
    My total cost per Year might not even average €1000 per child to keep them in school. School is cheaper than having to keep them at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Surely parents would have to feed, clothe, buy shoes, etc for children whether they went to school or not? I agree the uniforms can be expensive, but so is buying regular childrens' clothes that do not need to be bought when they are wearing the uniform.

How much of these yearly "education" (I use the term loosely) expenses would covered by saving the monthly Child Benefit for "Back to School" expenses?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

In our school , children can wear plain black tracksuit bottoms , the PE top is O'Neils and really good quality . €28 . Any white polo top and that's the PE uniform done. Formal uniform has a crested jumker but the crest is available to see onto a generic one . We hold a sale of second hand uniforms in Jund each year . Book rental schemes for all classes . The DES gave us no funding whatsoever to help the rental scheme , we had to fundraise ourselves . Stories like this one drive me nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I don't mind paying the contributions for my children it's the school book cartels that annoy really me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

In fact I think it's a bargain to get your child educated, clothed,fed and looked after for up to seven hours a day for 1000-1400 euros per year.
    Compare that with the United States where a lot of my friends have kids in school.It's about a tenth of the price.

Naming the freeloaders is one thing.

Naming the kids in front of their classmates, singling them out for humiliation in a school assembly is an entirely different matter.

Easier said than done, I'm sure, but I'd be complaining about that to the principal/board of management. It's a bloody horrible practice.

I'm applauding the school with the balls to name the freeloaders.

How do you know they are all freeloaders? In fact do you know if any of them are free loaders?

Educated and clothed, yes. Food has nothing to do with the cost and School is not a babysitting club, its a requirement.

You still sound like a bitter "squeezed middleclass person". A phrase and social class that actually contradict themselves over and over. But I think you are a single childless young lad, who wants to troll or is just angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

In our school , children can wear plain black tracksuit bottoms , the PE top is O'Neils and really good quality . €28 . Any white polo top and that's the PE uniform done. Formal uniform has a crested jumker but the crest is available to see onto a generic one . We hold a sale of second hand uniforms in Jund each year . Book rental schemes for all classes . The DES gave us no funding whatsoever to help the rental scheme , we had to fundraise ourselves . Stories like this one drive me nuts!

I believe that if schools with compulsory uniforms were forced by the government to provide those uniforms to pupils free of cost, we would soon see a sharp decline in the crest nonsense and other uniform based ridiculousness. Same with school books.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

smash wrote: »
    And out of that list, the back to school cost is actually just:

Gym gear: €74
    Fees/contribution: €113
    Uniforms: €183
    Books: €146

Which is a total of €516. Now lets consider that most schools have a book rental scheme, the cost comes down to €415. And lets be realistic about the uniform, as it's really just a jumper and everything else can be got in Dunnes for the square root of fcuk all, the cost comes down to €295. Voluntary contribution? Maybe you don't want to pay it... €260 ish. New bag and lunch box €25 so that's €285 now. That's a long way off the tripe that the papers are putting out there.

Smash those are very average figures there, if I thought Id get away with that Id be very happy lady. While I agree there are ways to cut a few corners, it's not always possible.

My children are in a school ,and while it's not a private school, it's not cheap to school them there. Only school approved clothing are permitted, which includes crested jacket, tie, and jumper. The shades of shirts and trousers that are recommended by the school are branded, and differ to the generics you can buy in dunnes or tesco. And what is worse is, you would notice.

The cost for gym gear alone, forget your figure of €74 because there is no designated gym gear. This is worse again, because there is competition between them for the best clothing and trainers.

School fees are higher in the school, and no rental scheme I'm aware of.

While I'm telling you all of this about their school, I must stress that I was aware fully of this when I registered them for enrollment. Where they went to school, the schools reputation, the principal himself, and everything in between mattered to me for their future. I'm not complaining about cost for that reason, but I just wanted to point out that school school fees aren't the same.

• Advertisement

The media are arseholes - lazy, predictable and creatively-challenged ones. Same non-story each and every year.

Advertisement