Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 and UTV Ireland the saga continues

Options
  • 12-07-2016 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

So just to join the two mega threads together as we are going to be posting the same info in both for the next while.

So what will TV3 do versus what they probably should do?

TV3 have already commissioned Red Rock for a full 52 weeks in 2017. Though they will probably reduce their independent productions overall once they get the ITV programmes back. They will also probably retain their in-house news docs. All of which bar IACGMOH will be on TV3.

UTV Ireland will be re-branded leaving the daytime intact, I imagine it will be even closer to ITV during the day. Rather than keeping ITV Dramas, I can see them put repeats of the soaps on UTV Ireland after 9, while also dropping Ireland Live (rather than dropping TV3 docs and using Ireland Live staff to produce a Newsnight type programme).

I can't see 3e changing all that much. Unless Virgin Media start providing them with more first showings of US programming and decide to use it as the Sports channel, which it may have to do with ITV not having access to Champions League.

Overall TV3 will see an increase, but with no indo productions it won't gain as much as it should, Red Rock will certainly see an increase with the help of the ITV Soaps. 3e will retain its audience but the New UTV Ireland (aka 3U) will be down.

This is based on the both channels inability over the last year and a half to produce creative programming and schedules.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

mmm, sage and onion...

(bit of a topic typo)

I don't see this getting regulatory approval - that they owned both private PSB-alikes before won't really impact much in wanting to own all 3 particularly with the cuts that would be inevitable. That was also before Liberty with its other media holdings were involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

L1011 wrote: »
    mmm, sage and onion...

(bit of a topic typo)

I don't see this getting regulatory approval - that they owned both private PSB-alikes before won't really impact much in wanting to own all 3 particularly with the cuts that would be inevitable. That was also before Liberty with its other media holdings were involved.

yes I do mean saga...

Like ITV takeover of UTV Ireland and Virgin Media's of TV3 the Regulators have no choice. If the do denie the takeover, UTV Ireland shuts up shop and ITV sell their products to TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

For TV3, it'll be back to schedule of 2 years ago. Jeremy Kyle back in 10am, The Chase will alternate with Tipping Point at 1pm. Late Lunch Live will return to 3:30. The soaps will dominate 7-9. Maybe even move Red Rock to Mon & Fri at 8pm, and take complete advantage of Coronation Street lead-ins. A mixture of big ITV dramas and entertainment alongside TV3 documentaries should bring good ratings.
    There has been a slowdown on home-produced programming (probably to do with the uncertainty of the takeover). Be good to get some quizzes and panel shows in the HD studios.

3e - will continue with 3kids in the morning, and then use ITV daytime shows to populate the rest of the schedule like Dickinson, Judge Rinder, Tipping Point and The Chase. Don't see then touching This Morning or Loose Women one bit. Put Big Brother, CBB, IACGMOOH exclusively on 3e as well.

UTV Ireland - rebrand quickly as possible if they are keeping it. Get it away from the UTV brand, so people will stop comparing the channel with ITV and UTV NI. 3drama, 3encore, 3life, 3star, 3iller (maybe that one is pushing it too far :D)
    Hard to even know what to show here, that would give an alternative to 3e and TV3. Horseracing during the day would help, and then go ITV3/4 in later evenings with classic Morse, Touch Of Frost, Bad Girls, Agatha Christie etc. 9pm could be devoted to new ITV or US drama. Unsure how to 'Irish' it up though.

3U i tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Elmo wrote: »
    3U i tell you.

iTV3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I can't see why they'd keep UTV Ireland when the channel has been tainted with failure from literally Day 1 and they already have TV3 and 3e.

I'd imagine the headline shows will go to TV3, the rest to 3e (as sort of an ITV2/4), with the UTV staff split between both stations or made redundant.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I can't see why they'd keep UTV Ireland when the channel has been tainted with failure from literally Day 1 and they already have TV3 and 3e.

I'd imagine the headline shows will go to TV3, the rest to 3e (as sort of an ITV2/4), with the UTV staff split between both stations or made redundant.

To retain viewers. UTV is only tainted because of the bad press that TV3 put out about it, TV3 acted as if they where doing really much better than UTV Ireland which was not the case. If they close UTV Ireland I'd imagine TV3, 3e, UTV Ireland's audience would fall even further, than with a re-brand to 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Radio Gold

It would just make sense to Keep the Soaps on what is Currently Utv Ire. The 7 O'clock show is on Tv3 is quite popular and also Tuesday Night is the Champions League. It would only cause more confusion if the Soaps are moved back TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

To retain viewers. UTV is only tainted because of the bad press that TV3 put out about it, TV3 acted as if they where doing really much better than UTV Ireland which was not the case. If they close UTV Ireland I'd imagine TV3, 3e, UTV Ireland's audience would fall even further, than with a re-brand to 3.

Disagree... UTVI failed because it was a stripped-out, watered-down shadow of the channel it replaced and 2 soaps aren't enough to carry a channel.

They got the line-up wrong, the branding wrong, and even their headline act, Pat Kenny wasn't used properly (he's actually very good in current/political affairs but nope...)

Those that have stuck with this channel did so because of the aforementioned soaps in the main, and will follow them to TV3, leaving... what?

Radio Gold wrote: »
    It would just make sense to Keep the Soaps on what is Currently Utv Ire. The 7 O'clock show is on Tv3 is quite popular and also Tuesday Night is the Champions League. It would only cause more confusion if the Soaps are moved back TV3.

The Seven O'Clock Show has done dreadfully over the past year.
    Disagree... UTVI failed because it was a stripped-out, watered-down shadow of the channel it replaced and 2 soaps aren't enough to carry a channel.

They got the line-up wrong, the branding wrong, and even their headline act, Pat Kenny wasn't used properly (he's actually very good in current/political affairs but nope...)

Those that have stuck with this channel did so because of the aforementioned soaps in the main, and will follow them to TV3, leaving... what?

I agree the use of the brand was wrong, but TV3 play up the idea that programmes like The Seven O'Clock Show were doing excellently, when in reality TV3 was just as striped of ITV as UTV, just instead they had the Reality Shows.

UTV Ireland if TV3 do it correctly could be home to new ITV Drama's that don't get a showing on TV3 and Daytime ITV. The amazing Seven O'Clock Show with its massive following may move to UTV Ireland, though other programmes would suit.

• Advertisement

iseegirls wrote: »
    For TV3, it'll be back to schedule of 2 years ago. Jeremy Kyle back in 10am, The Chase will alternate with Tipping Point at 1pm. Late Lunch Live will return to 3:30. The soaps will dominate 7-9. Maybe even move Red Rock to Mon & Fri at 8pm, and take complete advantage of Coronation Street lead-ins. A mixture of big ITV dramas and entertainment alongside TV3 documentaries should bring good ratings.
    There has been a slowdown on home-produced programming (probably to do with the uncertainty of the takeover). Be good to get some quizzes and panel shows in the HD studios.

3e - will continue with 3kids in the morning, and then use ITV daytime shows to populate the rest of the schedule like Dickinson, Judge Rinder, Tipping Point and The Chase. Don't see then touching This Morning or Loose Women one bit. Put Big Brother, CBB, IACGMOOH exclusively on 3e as well.

UTV Ireland - rebrand quickly as possible if they are keeping it. Get it away from the UTV brand, so people will stop comparing the channel with ITV and UTV NI. 3drama, 3encore, 3life, 3star, 3iller (maybe that one is pushing it too far :D)
    Hard to even know what to show here, that would give an alternative to 3e and TV3. Horseracing during the day would help, and then go ITV3/4 in later evenings with classic Morse, Touch Of Frost, Bad Girls, Agatha Christie etc. 9pm could be devoted to new ITV or US drama. Unsure how to 'Irish' it up though.

I would be happy with that schedule!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Aquarius, Poldark, Rectify, Endeavour, A Touch Of Frost, Cracker, Inspector Morse, Cold Feet, Victoria..... just some of the drama available under the ITV Studio content agreement to TV3/Virgin... there is plenty to create decent channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

I don't know why they would associate with the U from UTV when they can be associated with ITV

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭mike2084

In regards to UK horseracing from previous thread and RTE having exclusivity, Setanta as it was had the same Racing UK coverage as RTE, although I accept that's not terrestrial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

I hope we don't lose ITV 4, love all the old shows and movies they show..

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

I don't know why they would associate with the U from UTV when they can be associated with ITV

Hope they get rid of the U and make a fresh start or shut the channel altogether.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yeah I reckon the best thing is to get rid of the U as well, everything to do with the UTV brand just did not work here, time for a fresh change. At this stage the further they remove themselves from the ITV network the better as too many people are comparing it to a highly watered down version of ITV.

Hope they get rid of the U and make a fresh start or shut the channel altogether.

The only reason I suggest 3U is because TV3 have no imagination and have proved it time and time again. The same goes for the management at UTV Ireland, who will keep their jobs more than likely.

TV3 needs a complete new branding. Particularly 3e, which since its rebranding and takeover by TV3 has been pitiful.

The channel will stay, as pointed out there is no reason why TV3 would have bought the channel just to close the channel. It'd be easier for ITV do announce the closure and TV3 to announce they had struck a deal with ITV for UTV Ireland shows. They will rebrand the channel as a TV3 channel. It will be very lazy choose (my bets are on 3U, or something like more3, 3xpose, 3today etc etc).

The other reason is to retain viewers, if they close UTV Ireland it is likely that TV3, UTV Ireland and 3e would loose 4% share of the market. Because of management at TV3 their only sencible move will be to keep UTV and see a drop of 2%.

The other reason I think it will be 3U is because of the kind of opinion spouted in the media about the takeover by people formally involved with TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

They really need to drop the U. No matter what spin is put on it, U = Ulster.

JDxtra wrote: »
    They really need to drop the U. No matter what spin is put on it, U = Ulster.

U for you!

You'd think that UTV Ireland was a total disaster and that TV3 had had a successful 1 and a half, IMO TV3 = junk bonds.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I dunno if TV3 will hold onto UTV Ireland, may just close it down as all the content can easily fit on TV3 and 3E, but agreed TV3 needs a whole rebrand, it looks cheap and tacky and one one step above the awful UTV branding.

TG4 branding is surprisingly really good, looks very modern and fresh. Now that TV3 have a very wealthy parent company they can easily transform to a much better professionally branded range of channels.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I dunno if TV3 will hold onto UTV Ireland, may just close it down as all the content can easily fit on TV3 and 3E, but agreed TV3 needs a whole rebrand, it looks cheap and tacky and one one step above the awful UTV branding.

TG4 branding is surprisingly really good, looks very modern and fresh. Now that TV3 have a very wealthy parent company they can easily transform to a much better professionally branded range of channels.

both the original TV3 and Channel6 logos look ten times more modern than the resulting efforts.

TG4 brand is from 1999 and still looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,388 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The TV3/3e branding, and the attrociuous quality of transmission (of 3e on Sky, and TV3 on saorview - I have Sky HD) really make it look like a cheap channel. Even the Vincent Browne studio looks tacky and crap... It's all about appearances!

391699.jpgthis is how lazy I think they will be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

I think Virgin Media are mad to pay €10million for UTV Ireland. As mentioned earlier, UTV Ireland was doomed from the start - because of the name. Whether they meant it or not, by calling it UTV Ireland, it automatically meant people would compare it to UTV NI. I might have been naive, but when I heard UTV Ire was launching, I thought it would be like the old UTV but just with Irish ads.

I think TV3 needs to find its place in the market. They have big shows like Big Brother, the euros etc which is great, but other weeks it is very very poor. Which is a pity because I actually like TV3 and would like to see it doing well.They need to be consistant

UTV Ireland I think has improved since it started. Although if they didnt have Emmerdale and Corrie, it would have closed down before now. The only real show I watch on it is Ireland live news at 5.30. The 5:30 is great on tv3 and would be my first choice but on UTV they give more news and less sport which I prefer.

I think now is the time for a fresh start. If the take over goes ahead, keep all 3 channels but have a clear plan for all 3. And yes the logos and slogans need a huge revamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

391699.jpgthis is how lazy I think they will be :)

I fear your prediction could very well come true if UTV Ireland is re-branded to something like the "3u" concept you have suggested. I think that the overall branding of the independent tv channels here (i.e.) TV3, 3e and UTV Ireland in particular have shown little inspiration and there seems to be a lack of imagination and depth in these brands unlike the channel TG4 for instance.

That said, I thought TV3 had done relatively well against UTV Ireland when it first came on the scene on 01/01/2015. TV3 lost such a huge amount in their prime time schedules to UTV Ireland and given their precarious commercial position after the advertising downturn post 2008, TV3 took a huge gamble in commissioning a new drama in RedRock which is now airing on BBC One's daytime schedule since last Monday at 1:45pm. TV3 also did pretty well when they secured and broadcast Rugby World Cup coverage in my view given their limited financial resources at the time. But yes, there is always room for improvements.

My biggest issue with 3e would have to be it's cheap programmes such as "Uploaded" as the picture quality of much of the content aired is sub-standard for broadcasting on a linear TV channel in my view. The material is really more suited for a small screen device.

Whoever came up with the promo showing Vincent Browne sitting alone in a room alongside a lampshade? To me, it looks like Vinny B is coming directly from a Retirement Village/Nursing Home in that promo - not clever from a sales/marketing point of view as the Tonight with Vincent Browne programme is a staple in the TV3 late evening schedule and is often quite lively depending on the news events of the day, topics, guest panellists/contributors and so on etc;

If Virgin Media decides to stick with the whole "3" branding across TV3, 3e and the recently acquired UTV Ireland (subject to receiving all the regulatory approval) then they need to do more than a little tinkering around the edges of the branding/scheduling across all of their TV stations. Otherwise, you will have a repeat of the UTV Ireland fiasco which was forced to undergo a mini-rebrand not too long after their initial launch only months earlier. I'm sure they thought once you stuck the colour green all over their branding/home produced programmes, this would be sufficient to attract mass viewership across the Republic of Ireland!

Gosh, the next 12 months should be interesting with all these changes in the TV/Radio media ownership landscape between TV3/3e/UTV Ireland and eir sport 1/eir sport 2 etc;

Could they not just rebrand all Three Channels?

Virgin 1,2,3

Would be more powerful and give them a bigger platform than RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

Virgin 1,2,3

I was thinking that aswell. Would be promoting the virgin brand more aswell like what Eir are doing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Virgin 1,2,3

Of course they could.. but you would probably need to consider the following:

I'm not sure how well the Virgin brand is regarded in the Irish market these days? Down through the years, we've had Virgin Records, Virgin Megastores, Virgin Cola, Virgin Radio, Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Media.

Would the Virgin 1,2,3 branded channels be considered as just new channel idents just to replace TV3, 3e and UTV Ireland OR; would there be a comprehensive shake-up of much of the current content across all three existing channels with new content to be added at a later stage?

Would the removal of the TV3 brand altogether be wise as I imagine the station has probably developed much goodwill since it's inception in the Irish market back in September, 1998? Many observers felt that the whole UTV brand identity was powerful enough to launch and carry the new UTV Ireland channel here in the Republic but they were highly unsuccessful because they thought the UTV name along with broadcast rights for both Emmerdale & Coronation Street would be enough to win sufficient market share - the rest is history - the channel has only been bought twice and it's only a year and a half on air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭political analyst

dave98 wrote: »
    I think Virgin Media are mad to pay €10million for UTV Ireland. As mentioned earlier, UTV Ireland was doomed from the start - because of the name. Whether they meant it or not, by calling it UTV Ireland, it automatically meant people would compare it to UTV NI. I might have been naive, but when I heard UTV Ire was launching, I thought it would be like the old UTV but just with Irish ads.

I think TV3 needs to find its place in the market. They have big shows like Big Brother, the euros etc which is great, but other weeks it is very very poor. Which is a pity because I actually like TV3 and would like to see it doing well.They need to be consistant

UTV Ireland I think has improved since it started. Although if they didnt have Emmerdale and Corrie, it would have closed down before now. The only real show I watch on it is Ireland live news at 5.30. The 5:30 is great on tv3 and would be my first choice but on UTV they give more news and less sport which I prefer.
    But TV3 doesn't bother with news at weekends (except for summaries on the weekend AM programmes) or on bank holidays.

Advertisement