Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer Recruitment 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 IceOnMeKnee

Just wondering can any answer this...

Prison officers working hours or roster.?
    I'm thinking long term if I'm lucky enough to get in.
    Also payscale as I've been a guard for years so have service built up and also pension .

Thinking of the future and have kids so just wondering what the hours are/days off etc.

Thanks

You work 7 days over two weeks.There is also Overtime, which if doing 360 band, you work 11 extra days (if caught) per quarter..

Shifts are
    8-8
    7:45-8:15
    Nites 8-8
    These are the three main shifts.
    There is also an option to work 8-5 but its not worth it financially...

Im sure youll be able to carry over your built up pension..

• Registered Users Posts: 14 IceOnMeKnee

You work 7 days over two weeks.There is also Overtime, which if doing 360 band, you work 11 extra days (if caught) per quarter..

Shifts are
    8-8
    7:45-8:15
    Nites 8-8
    These are the three main shifts.
    There is also an option to work 8-5 but its not worth it financially...

Im sure youll be able to carry over your built up pension..

Just spotted the original post is over two years old..its been a while since ive been on this thing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Just spotted the original post is over two years old..its been a while since ive been on this thing!!

Mad isn't it. I just thought 2018 deserved a new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ely o Carroll

Still good info to know, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭DeHorse88

The just send an email saying you passed medical and invite you to take PCT

I presume that's all in the one email?? Also who do you meet in the prison service to sign you off and is that usually done before or after PCT??

• Advertisement

You get one email saying you passed medical inviting you to PCT. I cant answer rest of question as I'm doing test on 15th

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Colette1982

DeHorse88 wrote: »
    Just wondering my doctor was suppose to have sent off all medical reports for me a couple of weeks ago. Do they send confirmation that they have received medical reports or do they tell you that you have passed medical and will be invited forward for PCT?

I emailed the recruitment office a few times asking if they have received my medical info. They said they hadnt heard from the CMO as of yet about my results and not to panic as they will be in touch as soon as they get the go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

How long roughtly does it take for Interview results ?

Has anyone any idea how many classes have started this year already ?

Just got word I passed Stage 3... delighted :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Just got word I passed Stage 3... delighted :-)

Good man Tommy. I tried to PM you back but you need to clear space you dirty screw!

Omackeral wrote: »
    Good man Tommy. I tried to PM you back but you need to clear space you dirty screw!

Haha, Yeah I got an email from boards so have cleared up some space now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Am I correct in thinking that once you finish your RPO training you will definitely be posted to a Dublin prison?

Am I correct in thinking that once you finish your RPO training you will definitely be posted to a Dublin prison?

Yes. I'd say 99.99% of the time but even that's below the mark. Usually Mountyjoy, Cloverhill or Wheatfield. The latter two are side by side.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

yes, for at least 10 years by the looks of it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Yes. I'd say 99.99% of the time but even that's below the mark. Usually Mountyjoy, Cloverhill or Wheatfield. The latter two are side by side.
    MIRMIR82 wrote: »
    yes, for at least 10 years by the looks of it now.

I appreciate the replies. That is a deal breaker for my wife & I I'm afraid. We are in the position to uproot our lives for the sake of me moving jobs. Its unfortunate but it is what it is.

I hope it works out for everybody here who is going through the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I appreciate the replies. That is a deal breaker for my wife & I I'm afraid. We are in the position to uproot our lives for the sake of me moving jobs. Its unfortunate but it is what it is.

I hope it works out for everybody here who is going through the process.

To be honest, I think, given that you're married, that you're making the right decision. I honestly couldn't recommend the job to any married people from outside the pale given the wages that are now on offer for recruits.

BTW, the most recent arrivals in Cork have all been in the job for around 12 years. Others, that arrived shortly before Christmas, had been 17 / 18 years on the road. There's plenty more waiting as well who are in around the 10 to 12 year bracket.

If you did go for it then you might get back sooner but I wouldn't be holding my breath if I were you. Good luck anyway, wherever you end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭DeHorse88

Just got date for PCT 22nd March a months notice exactly

Quick question about the fitness please folks. The push and pull test , can someone send me a link of the machine they use to test that please as YouTube give a variety of examples when i look for the ergo concept machine. Cheers

• Advertisement

Thanks so much . Is that the same grip test too ?

yah same grip test. best of luck. you'll fly it

yah same grip test. best of luck. you'll fly it

Grand job. Thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Julygirl105

Hi Folks,

I have applied for this years campaign and we are awaiting the first online assessment links.. I am just wondering can anyone confirm the what type of questions are in the online math assessments? The reason I am asking is that I have read so much about ‘numerical’ assessment but when we received the info they used the term ‘verify calculations’ assessment..

So I’m confused as to whether we will be doing long calculations with graphs and tables as in a ‘numerical’ assessment or short maths as in a ‘verify calculation’ test, like have they just renamed it??

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭User2206

Hi all, I’ve just completed my aptitude tests for stage 1 of the 2018 campaign, I know I’m running ahead of myself here but just curious to know what the medical entails? :)

User2206 wrote: »
    Hi all, I’ve just completed my aptitude tests for stage 1 of the 2018 campaign, I know I’m running ahead of myself here but just curious to know what the medical entails? :)

Medical requires that you take a hearing test and an eye test at your own expense. I reckon seeing your GP could be on the agenda too.

Medical requires that you take a hearing test and an eye test at your own expense. I reckon seeing your GP could be on the agenda too.

Perfect thank you! Does your BMI come into it?

User2206 wrote: »
    Perfect thank you! Does your BMI come into it?

Mine? No. Yours might though.

Ha ha just kidding! I did mine over 10 years ago and all I can recall that was specifically required in writing were the hearing and sight tests. When I trained, there were a few larger lads and ladies there and there wasn’t an issue with any of them.

Ha ha just kidding! I did mine over 10 years ago and all I can recall that was specifically required in writing were the hearing and sight tests. When I trained, there were a few larger lads and ladies there and there wasn’t an issue with any of them.
    Haha quick!

Ah I’m just curious, my BMI is fine I’m just curious to see if it’s more than hearing and sight that’s checked! Don’t want any surprises haha :)

• Advertisement

Yep the bmi has to be 30 or below now.

Advertisement