Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Labour on engine replacement

Options
  • 07-07-2016 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has a rough idea on how much it would cost to replace the engine on a 2007 Freelander 2. 2.2 diesel engine. rough idea will do. thinking about buying one that needs engine replaced.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Just wondering if anyone has a rough idea on how much it would cost to replace the engine on a 2007 Freelander 2. 2.2 diesel engine. rough idea will do. thinking about buying one that needs engine replaced.

Thanks in advance.

Had the engine replaced by a main dealer on my 2010 Scenic 1.5 Diesel about 3 months ago. All in all it cost just shy of €3100. They even replaced the clutch for me without me giving the go ahead (long story) but the price they charged me was the price that they quoted me before the job started so I don't know if I got the clutch free or they initially over-quoted the price in the first place and knew I didn't mind the over estimated quote.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 Nidge Murphy

Labour four hours max, €250-€300.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭as_mo_bhosca

Thanks for the replies. Def won't be going to main dealer. That sounds like a reasonable price. Hopefully be able to source a reasonably priced 2nd hand engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Labour four hours max

Fair dues to ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

I want to see a complete unedited video of a 4 hour engine swap... from scratch.. not with all the ancillaries already gone... that I would pay good money for. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

TrailerBob wrote: »
    I want to see a complete unedited video of a 4 hour engine swap... from scratch.. not with all the ancillaries already gone... that I would pay good money for. :D
    Remember,thats 4 hours MAX.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭tom_k

Shure it's only a few minutes job at most. You'd be longer changing a bulb.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

TrailerBob wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Get in touch with a few local mechanics and get quotes.
    Prices given here may vary greatly from what someone in the real world will tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jones 19

In a 00 Punto ya
    You'd manage to get the engine out of a freelander in 4 hours and prep for for the replacement to go in. Id say all done in 8hours. At 60 an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kildarelad

Labour four hours max, €250-€300
    lol you have obviously never done an engine change old one has to come out before the new one goes in .I would estimate the labour to be close to 600 and engine to be 600-700 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Hahaha haha '4 hours - max'

OP, you'll be looking at a full day to remove & refit and another half day fettling. Labour will run 600-800 from a reasonable independent.

Is this any more complex than say a trooper, cruiser, Pajero or ford ranger engine swap?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Is this any more complex than say a trooper, cruiser, Pajero or ford ranger engine swap?

Its transversely mounted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If you don't know why are you trying to give advice on a motoring forum? How does pulling an unrealistic time like 4 hours from your arse help the OP?

If you don't know why are you trying to give advice on a motoring forum? How does pulling an unrealistic time like 4 hours from your arse help the OP?

This would be the time scale on the above jeeps, what's this faux outrage about?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This would be the time scale on the above jeeps, what's this faux outrage about?

Its not outrage, just recognition that speaking from ignorance doesn't help, it hinders.

He asked about a freelander.

A classic mini could probably be done in an hour, so why didn't you say an hour? Seeing as it's just as relevant an answer as a pajero/whatnot to the question asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

It's about as irrelevant. Nidge, if you can do an engine swap on a 2.2 Freelander in 4 hrs then go for it. I'm sure OP will only be delighted with the savings. What's your garage called?

Alright lads thanks for all the input and interesting videos! 8 hours @ 60 would grand if I could get it. If only I could source an engine for under a grand like someone has suggested. If anyone knows of one going..... Only one I've sourced so far in Ireland is 2k. Much cheaper than UK though, those lads are having a bloody laugh! 2.5k sterling cheapest from there!

• Advertisement

Possibly pub-talk but wasn't there a Ford transit that was treated to the same 2.2 lump as the freelander & some defenders??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Have you applied Eds position on wheeler dealers?

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Possibly pub-talk but wasn't there a Ford transit that was treated to the same 2.2 lump as the freelander & some defenders??

It seems to be the same engine in a lot of cars. Would the bare engine be the exact same? Here's a list from Wikipedia on where the engine was used,

Ford: Mondeo, S-Max, Galaxy, Landrover: Range Rover Evoque, Discovery Sport, Freelander 2; Citroen: C5, C6, C8, C-Crosser, Fiat Ulysse. Peugeot: 407, 607, 807, 4007.
    All the above are 2.2 engine models obviously, ranging from 2006 to present. (Some much later years, e.g. Mondeo 2008 to present)

Anybody know if an engine from a Mondeo would do? Providing it's the same 2.2 pda dw12? One of those available at half the price of one from a freelander.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

It seems to be same engine in ford/Peugeot /citroen cars.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratorq_engine#2005_TDCi_.28PSA_DW_Based.29

i might be wrong but i think the engine sits a different way in those cars than the freelander so even though the code is the same the block will be different as its moubted differently

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

The engine block/head will be the same, it's all the engine mounts and bolt on auxiliaries that make it unique to each chassis.

If I get a Mondeo engine could all the ancillary parts be swapped over? A lot more labour I know, but surely less than 1 to 1.5k worth?

The engine block/head will be the same, it's all the engine mounts and bolt on auxiliaries that make it unique to each chassis.
    Today 20:52
    not always for example some of the vw passat and golfs had the same engine code but blocks weren't interchangeable heads were

• Advertisement

Anyone want to have a look at the two of these and see if they look like the same engine?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/152161439945?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/281988386531?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

To my untrained eye they look the exact same! Won't be pulling the trigger on anything until I get a mechanic to say so.

Advertisement