Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

are we in Ireland like the UK citizens?

• 04-07-2016 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

You know how the British are defensive and pashionate of a lot of things like when it comes to the £ currency and keeping it (none of that euro note malarkey) - not wanting to use Kg preferring to use stones and ounces / want to use inches and feet instead of centimetres , not wanting to get rid of their MPH road signage and wanting to stick to driving on the left - and now lately citing one of the reasons for Brexiting because one of the reasons being they want to get their country back (whatever that means) and not being dictated to by Brussels .... are we the same in Ireland on the whole, do we feel as passionate about all things or have we become complacent and just do as we are told? or just go with the flow. With the exception about Water Charges , i cant think what else has really got our backs up and standing up for what we feel passionate about.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

No, our "leaders" bend over for Merkel and company.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

i cant think what else has really got our backs up and standing up for what we feel passionate about.

we literally stood up for the boys in green a week ago... some people

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

And also sat down for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

You might as well speak Chinese or Gaelic to me when you use stones and ounces for weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭ Aleah Old Phlegm

TheDoctor wrote: »
    And also sat down for them

Even took our shoes off for them

• Advertisement

• Ruu wrote: »
    No, our "leaders" bend over for Merkel and company.

I agree that our 'leaders' are chocolate teapots when it comes to having any gumption of fighting our corner, but that spineless buffoon Johnson is a disgrace and should be fired with balls of his own shíte for his conduct. The EU is in need of serious reform and it is rotten with bureaucratic dictatorship who show absolute contempt for sovereignty but leaving the EU was the nuclear option and once he achieved this he walked away from Rome burning. A disgusting coward

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I think a lot of the reasons as to why the UK is so reluctant to let go of things like their currency, imperial systems of measurement etc is down to their emperictic past.

For better or worse they believe that they should be the ones setting the rules rather than following them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I agree that our 'leaders' are chocolate teapots when it comes to having any gumption of fighting our corner, but that spineless buffoon Johnson is a disgrace and should be fired with balls of his own shíte for his conduct. The EU is in need of serious reform and it is rotten with bureaucratic dictatorship who show absolute contempt for sovereignty but leaving the EU was the nuclear option and once he achieved this he walked away from Rome burning. A disgusting coward

Farage has resigned today - lit the nation with his racist posters and views .... now he's buggering off out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

are we the same in Ireland on the whole, do we feel as passionate about all things or have we become complacent and just do as we are told? or just go with the flow. With the exception about Water Charges , i cant think what else has really got our backs up and standing up for what we feel passionate about.
    There's being passionate about something and then just being over nostalgic. Britain wants to hold onto old school measuring systems when the rest of the world has pretty much moved on to a better integrated system. That's just stupid.

Ireland is quite rightly following global trends. If you want to succeed these days as a small nation and no matter how "great" Britain thinks it is it can't survive as an island, it never has, it's always been plugged into a global market now it seems to be throwing it's toys out of the pram because it's not the top dog anymore. Britain's independance day was the most sickening slogan a colonial power could have come up with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

ScumLord wrote: »
    There's being passionate about something and then just being over nostalgic. Britain wants to hold onto old school measuring systems when the rest of the world has pretty much moved on to a better integrated system. That's just stupid.

Ireland is quite rightly following global trends. If you want to succeed these days as a small nation and no matter how "great" Britain thinks it is it can't survive as an island, it never has, it's always been plugged into a global market now it seems to be throwing it's toys out of the pram because it's not the top dog anymore. Britain's independance day was the most sickening slogan a colonial power could have come up with.

Maybe we could meet up for a few 568ml and you could teach me this new fangled metric thingy.

going back a few years in UK this grocer refused point blank to weigh/sell his produce in kg and display it on the board as Kg, put up a great fight... lost in the end though, think he got a pretty hefty fine and a couple of weeks in prison for it as well I think i remember -

makes you wonder now , I suppose when they are properly out of the EU they can if they wish to not have to teach metric in school and go back to feet and inches now and old weights couldnt they? - I think they only had to change to metric because europe dictated that they had to use them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

The UK are not as obsessed about us as some of us are about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

ScumLord wrote: »

Re the global market, isn't that the whole point of Brexit? to trade globally, free from the constraints of the EU ( as the Brexiteers would see it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

The bloody EU - how dare they impose their convenient and logical metric system of measurement on us - the fascist barstards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

I love weighing myself in kilos than stones, it makes me feel lighter...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

makes you wonder now , I suppose when they are properly out of the EU they can if they wish to not have to teach metric in school and go back to feet and inches now and old weights couldnt they? - I think they only had to change to metric because europe dictated that they had to use them

As others have said, why chose the logical, convenient system over tradition? ;)
    I love weighing myself in kilos than stones, it makes me feel lighter...

Do you mean kilos are better than pounds (rather than stones)? For example, 10 stone = 140 pounds = 63.5 kg.

• Farage has resigned today - lit the nation with his racist posters and views .... now he's buggering off out of it

Another worm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

I feel more and more the comparisons between western countries no longer holds water

Instead the real comparisons regardless of nationality is between those on the political right and those on the left and/or between those who have (highly educated, professional, or even upwardly mobile/well to do ,etc) and those who have not

I am Irish in London but I fee I have more in common with many Londoners than I have with many Irish , same with Australians, Americans, Europeans

And I think the internet has gone someway to break down borders of nationality and unite/divide in other ways

But of course that does not take away from mine and others pride in being Irish
    However the people I align with in my thinking and outlook are not necessarily categories by nationality

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The decimal system is more logical than the old system,
    easier to use on computers, 10, 100, 1000 .
    And other countrys use it,
    everything changes ,
    We,ll probably use plastic banknotes, and in the future i think more
    people will like apple pay, android pay, than use cash or credit cards .
    A phone is more secure than a card as it uses digital tokens,
    credit cards can be copied or cloned .
    The EU Needs reform as it seems more concerned with the needs of big corporations than ordinary people ,
    as in ttip trade agreement ,isds, new courts for companys to sue governments etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,041 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No we are quiet different in my opinion, but as a landscape we are getting closer to them every year that goes by

I cant remember now but when we were told in 2002 that we would have to change over to yoyo's were we passionate and distressed at loosing the Irish Punt? .... can you imagine what would happen if the UK had to loose their pound notes , even when its been suggested in the past people in the UK have almost had a coronary heart attack at the thought of it and would initiate a WW3 to keep the pound lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I cant remember now but when we were told in 2002 that we would have to change over to yoyo's were we passionate and distressed at loosing the Irish Punt? ....

I wasn't passionate or distressed when we changed over to euros on New Year's Day 2002. I was as hungover as fcuk and just thought 'oh new money' when the girl in the shop handed me over euro for change when I handed in punts while buying a breakfast roll.

The euro changeover here was pretty smooth, and I remember lots of people queuing at banks in the first week or two of January to get their money changed to euro as quickly as possible. Didn't see much distress there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Why stop there? My car gets forty rods to the hogshead and that's just the way I likes it

just to think , in the future some time brussels could dictate to Ireland (ROI, you know the Europe part of Ireland hehe) that we will all have to drive on the other side of the road ... but Britain who will be out of the EU will be able to still drive on the left. That will be fun crossing the border from republic to nor'n ireland haha :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

just to think , in the future some time brussels could dictate to Ireland (ROI, you know the Europe part of Ireland hehe) that we will all have to drive on the other side of the road ... but Britain who will be out of the EU will be able to still drive on the left. That will be fun crossing the border from republic to nor'n ireland haha :)

Lets not get too sensationalist huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

In Thailand, they drive on the left hand side. 90% of its borders are with countries that have right hand drive. They make it work, and there are other parts of the world that do it too.

Would you advocate the UK keeping it real by going to pre-decimal currency? I bet you 2 bob you wouldn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I cant remember now but when we were told in 2002 that we would have to change over to yoyo's were we passionate and distressed at loosing the Irish Punt? .... can you imagine what would happen if the UK had to loose their pound notes , even when its been suggested in the past people in the UK have almost had a coronary heart attack at the thought of it and would initiate a WW3 to keep the pound lol :D

Irish people were very enthusiastic about the Euro introduction (what are yoyo's ? And why does it have an apostrophe?).

Shows the difference in attitude and we all benefit when we travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Agreed^ we also talk about going for a pint and how much mileage is clocked up on our cars and about how many 'quid' that will cost. I've even seen people counting their pennies on the shop counter (cents).

Advertisement