Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Dunleary!! WTF?
    You can click the link in the lower right corner to "Improve this map" if you spot an error.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Had my first proper go of Zwift this morning. Have to say I was fairly impressed with it. Sitting in my living room cycling around London, up and down Box Hill a couple of times.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

42km today and had a little spill after the coffee stop at Tara, checking on a car coming up behind me and the front wheel dropped into a rut at the side of the road and turfed me off. Banjoed my right hand finger and some road rash but nothing too bad. First thing I thought of was my hip after the last crash

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Borderfox wrote: »
    42km today and had a little spill after the coffee stop at Tara, checking on a car coming up behind me and the front wheel dropped into a rut at the side of the road and turfed me off. Banjoed my right hand finger and some road rash but nothing too bad. First thing I thought of was my hip after the last crash

Hope you're feeling better. Nothing worse than coming off while clipped in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

97k lap round the homeland in donegal. Grey, windy, but relatively dry and warm. Lovely desolate roads, plenty of sheep, ****e and waterfalls. bonked badly after 2 hrs, coupled with a headwind on the descent into doochary had me pedalling squares for half an hr and dropped the avg speed to a measly 22kph

https://www.strava.com/activities/870657974

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Just back from 51Km of NCD. Wasn't as cold as I expected and so was a little overdressed.
    Had company from a workmate who leaves me for dead on the hills, but was good to have company for a change and it made me work a bit harder

https://www.strava.com/activities/871006432

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭secman

Bit of a loop around d24 and on out to Brittas, left for Manor Kilbride and back road to Blessington . Left in Blessington and small loop and back main road to home. 51 km Avg 26.6 kph. Lovely mild morning and dry too.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

After a few nightshifts it was after 3 when I headed off. 43km around NCD, no overshoes, kneewarmers, no winter tights. Happy days!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Devil's Elbow both ways.......the Enniskerry approach, not having done it in years seems to be much tougher.

So, coming across Glencree Valley (bottom of Long Hill) via Knockree Hostel, Devil's Elbow and up Burrow road had me hoping that I'd done a 1000m cycle.
    Not to be :) Close but no cigar.

https://ridewithgps.com/users/74539/activities

51+k for about 925m.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Up that way myself with a crew organised by Bikerbhoy including Rollingscone and a bunch of others, only one way on the Devil's Elbow coming from Glencree. 62k with 1040m up at a relaxed pace for what was a very enjoyable social spin.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

That's alot of uphill ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Been putting a lot of kms in the bank lately building up to the Tour de Connemara but today I experienced puncture city. 8kms into the ride, I had a puncture in the rear wheel, my first in over three years. Wheel off, old tube out, check the tyre, nothing found, new tube in and off I go, at least for about two hundred metres when the rear wheel went flat again. So repeat, wheel off, check tyre, nothing there so instead of replacing tube again, I repaired it and as I was putting it back in, I rechecked the tyre in the exact spot where I'd patched the tube. There was a tiny thorn embedded in the tyre that was only noticeable when I bent the tyre inside out which forced it out of where it was hiding in the rubber. Ok, lesson learned. Check more thoroughly in future instead of just lashing in a new tube. Then off I go again nice and smug that I'd learned my lesson only for the front tyre to deflate after another five kms. Ok, so wheel off and check and nothing visible but checked, checked and checked again and finally I found another tiny thorn embedded in the tyre. Got it out eventually by flexing the tyre. Patched the tube and off I went again but decided to cut things short as the wheels weren't as pumped up as well as my track pump ta home can get them and I felt like I was cycling through mud. Just 30kms in 70 minutes not including the time spent fixing the punctures. Still, it was a nice spin and I got some useful practice in puncture repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Today was to be the first spin for the Summer/racing bike with new bits and pieces, power meter plus a semi compact set up but for one reason or another LBS won't have it ready till later this week. Disappointing......

Club spin with today being a somewhat lumpy spin. We had one lad turn back up the My Rd with sickness and two more dropped out soon after for different reasons.
    This left 7 of us and all better climbers than me so when one or two efforts were put in I was suffering a bit but overall it was a good enjoyable spin.
    I let loose on way home on easier territory and was pumping 40km speed into a stuff headwind for 3/to near home. Eased the pain of lumpy efforts earlier!!

Finished with 110km at 29.1 avg with 915m of up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Not my spin but.....

Two idiots on the M1 southbound, just before the M50 interchange at around 9:30 am this morning.

Seriously WTF??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭secman

Headed from house to Killenagh, ballycanew, Gorey, out old n11 to inch, Arklow and on up to Woodenbridge and out the Aughrim road for a bit. Stopped to have my home made banana jacks :). Headed back to Woodenbridge, Arklow but took the left turn out to rock of Arklow, and back the coast road to Castletown, Tara hill, Ballymoney, courtown and back to Ballygarrett, Killenagh and home. 86 km Avg was 25.5 kph.
    Never knew that a Jack Russell whose arse was barely 2 inches from the road surface could get up to 35 kph... I had to get nearer 40 kph to drop the bastard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

106kms between yesterday and today. Both great days for cycling and considering I hadn't done basically anything for the previous 3 weeks I actually felt great too!

https://www.strava.com/activities/871933042

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Have a bit of a cold so I decided against going with the fast group on the club spin. As it turned out, the other group was a bunch of solid riders so we all tipped along at a nice pace but well within ourselves. I've been blasting around the place on Zwift the past few weeks doing fairly high intensity work and I think it paid off a bit as I was never under any pressure when we were on the few bits of hills on the route.
    I think I probably enjoyed the spin more for being able to chat away with the others instead of swinging off the back of the racing group gasping.
    The weather was very mild in comparison to the last few weekends I've been out. 7-9 degrees with no sleet or hail seemed positively balmy. Got a nice tailwind for the last 30 km home too.

A very enjoyable and fairly flat 93km @28.8kmh

https://www.strava.com/activities/871970060

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

much damper than expected this morning; only 40k in NCD, felt like i was cycling through a clod for much of it. legs were not fully playing ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Club spin of 6 of us out this morning, out to Tara and back to Dublin. We looked like we were dragged through a ditch by the end, extremely mucky. Nothing too eventful beyond a couple of punctures.. led to very stiff legs by stopping and starting.

averaged 29.9kph over 98km, not bad given the small group and the wind.

Though the one thing that sticks in my mind is the amount of angry motorists, normally you get the odd car horn blowing on a spin but we must have been beeped at 10+ times with quite a concerning number of close passes. We are a respectful bunch and we single out when needs be... so i dunno... seems to be a growing hostility among motorists.

• Advertisement

jon1981 wrote: »
    Club spin of 6 of us out this morning, our to Tara and back. We looked like we were dragged through a ditch by the end, extremely mucky. Nothing too eventful beyond a couple of punctures.. led to very stiff legs by stopping and starting.

averaged 29.9kph over 98km, not bad given the small group and the wind.

Though the one thing that sticks in my mind is the amount of angry motorists, normally you get the odd car horn blowing on a spin but we must have been beeped at 10+ times with quite a concerning number of close passes. We are a respectful bunch and we single out when needs be... so i dunno... seems to be a growing hostility among motorists.

I'm starting to think the same but maybe it's the sheer volume of cyclists certain motorists meet on a Sunday that gets them wound up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Stepaside to Blessington and back. 69.8km on my heavy winter bike with Dynamo. Beautiful day. Three weeks off the bike (skiing)band noticed the drop in fitness. But working back from a long layoff due to injury so fitness is lower than normal.

https://www.strava.com/activities/872281068

Thanks to Unknown Soldier, without whom I would have had to cycle home on a flat (I could not pump up my rear wheel after a flat) and he had stopped to see if all was ok. He also gave me a spare tube as I had only one tube with me today Many, many thanks. I owe you one! Hope your own cycle was not impacted by your generosity!

Awesome Canyon (lighter than my Carbon), and brilliant camera set up. I will definitely be getting a mobius for the helmet and a fly 6 for peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

dahat wrote: »
    I'm starting to think the same but maybe it's the sheer volume of cyclists certain motorists meet on a Sunday that gets them wound up.

It's just down to a lack of respect and people not being prepared or wanting to slow down. It's nuts the number of close and senseless passes being undertaken. All for a perceived few seconds gained - seconds that mean nothing in real time but could be the difference between safety and injury. Had one towards the end of my spin and the car that did it knew they were going to have to stop for the lights at lambs cross 150m later, and still did it. No gain at all. Stupid!!

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    It's just down to a lack of respect and people not being prepared or wanting to slow down. It's nuts the number of close and senseless passes being undertaken. All for a perceived few seconds gained - seconds that mean nothing in real time but could be the difference between safety and injury. Had one towards the end of my spin and the car that did it knew they were going to have to stop for the lights at lambs cross 150m later, and still did it. No gain at all. Stupid!!

It's getting very dangerous out there and each time we head out it's a risk imo. Every spin has at least one close pass each time at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cyclocross!

Strange you should mention close passes. 8 of us out this morning heading from Clane to Sallins. Getting the cars behind us past when we could. No tailback. Some guy comes screaming up behind us revving engine and beeping the horn. Goes by on a solid white line after about 10 seconds. Aggressive pass but not particularly close. Half mile up the road cars suddenly stopped in middle of road. Our same friend had tried to overtake a jeep on a solid white line and hit another jeep, then hit a wall. Nobody hurt thank god but could not help a little smile to myself. Felt sorry for drivers of 2 jeeps.

3rd spin this week in Feb. Terrific mild weather. compared to the miserable weather of the last few years. Loads of cyclists out.
    Was feeling fatigued so did a spin to enniskerry and looped back by Old conna in easy spin mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭fcon

Not so much close pass but outright dangerous overtake for us on spin this morning. The driver was forced to come to a complete halt midway through overtaking our 10 person group due to another oncoming car they hadn't seen prior to the overtake. Luckily the other driver wasn't going that fast or could have ended much worse. You'd imagine that with the increase in cyclists on the road that drivers would have a greater awareness and so be better able to cope in that situation (for example checking to see if the road is clear prior to an overtake) however apparently it's not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

70 km Thursday in tough conditions, got a puncture.

Headed out for a planned 50 today but only got thirty, another puncture so headed home.

Spotted Hole for valve on rim has become jagged and is puncturing tubes, I'll have to do a bit of day and see can I rescue it..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Was off the bike for a week, as I had taken time off to work on the new house. Back in the saddle this morning for my Portmarnock to Fairview commute. I'm glad we're in real jersey and shorts weather, but the wind was killer. Was cursing it on the way in! Still not used to the coastal wind after a month of commuting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Something I'm a bit unsure of in my commute, how should I negotiate this turn?

o1HOUUD.png

I want to go from Heytesbury Street/New Bride St onto Kevin St and head towards SSG. Red is what I usually do- move to the right-turning lane, get in the bike box, then when the light turns green, dash across the junction before cars heading southbound start coming. It always feels a bit dodgy, what would you do to make this turn instead? It's the only part of my commute where I have to cross across incoming traffic so it makes me a bit nervous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement