Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Half way through the year ... how's the training going?

• 01-07-2016 7:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭

Six months of the year gone and I'm tracking ahead on all my annual targets - 500 hours / 10,000 kms / 150,000 mts climbing. Training for a MTB marathon in October so spending more time on the mountain bike than road bike consequently average speed is a bit down and elevation is way ahead! Strava summary attached.
    How's everybody else getting on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭saccades

Doing the road miles (commute to work) quite well (ave 130km a week), but have really slacked off on the mtb skills/miles (30km a weekend). I'm "training" for a 12 hour mtb challenge :facepalm: fortunatly it's a tame enough course.

New PB's on the commute in and out, new PB's on mtb trails so it's working but I'm constantly hungry and drinking way too much (been an ace summer for social stuff) so weight hasn't shifted (change in body shape though) and climbing is a drag.

Plus spending a fortune on tyres and grips ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭C3PO

saccades wrote: »
    Doing the road miles (commute to work) quite well (ave 130km a week), but have really slacked off on the mtb skills/miles (30km a weekend). I'm "training" for a 12 hour mtb challenge :facepalm: fortunatly it's a tame enough course.

New PB's on the commute in and out, new PB's on mtb trails so it's working but I'm constantly hungry and drinking way too much (been an ace summer for social stuff) so weight hasn't shifted (change in body shape though) and climbing is a drag.

Plus spending a fortune on tyres and grips ;)

We probably have a fair bit in common - I also commute about 120kms per week (on a single speed) and keeping the weight down is a constant struggle! I was 107kgs when I started to cycle about 7 years ago and found the first 10-12kgs really easy to lose - after that it's about diet and loads of hours on the bike! I'm down to <81kgs now and will be 79-80kgs by the time the Marathon Nationals come up in September. But every year the "Festive Season" destroys the good work and I inevitably start the New Year at about 90kgs!! With regard to feeling hungry all the time I've found that changing my diet by significantly reducing carbs (particularly sugar) and increasing fat and protein has really helped me not to be constantly eating the contents of the fridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

On target with mileage and elevation, although my totals are a fair bit below yours. A decent increase in FTP and fitness all round. PRs on most spins, not massive improvement on most but steady. I don't feel the need to kill myself training but I am pushing harder bit by bit.
    I'm training for a "holiday" in September with a lot of climbing. I should probably have more done but I have been stepping it up a bit over the last few weeks. I have a few sportives coming up between now and then that I'll be using as a gauge of my progress.
    Overall I'm happy enough and if I can keep going as I am i should be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Slightly ahead of last year but I hadn't set any specific mileage targets for this year and I've been off the bike a lot over the last weeks trying to recover from a badly placed cleat!

BkSdm7U.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭C3PO

For the 1st time I've actually passed all of my annual cycling targets - 10,000kms/500hours/150,000mts ... and with a couple of months to spare! It's been my biggest year on the bike by some distance! I've split the cycling approx 50/50 between road and mtb so consequently average speed is quite low but I've done loads of climbing (166,000mts ytd!). Probably finish up somewhere in the region of 12,000kms/580hrs and 180,000mts of climbing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 ADW1

I'm similar to yourself splitting spins between road and mountain bike.
    2016 year to date
    Distance
    11,846.1 km
    Time 448h 50m
    Elev Gain 123,972 m
    Rides 181
    How did the Marathon go in October?
    Did you do the Nire Valley drop,? Great day out on the bike.

Advertisement