Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to Aviva Stadium

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,321 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is there a city centre bus that goes near Aviva also or is Dart train best?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

4/7 leave you a 7 minute walk, both have stops on O'Connell Street and O'Connell Bridge, though if you're getting on there you'd be as well getting the DART at Tara Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Dart is quickest - especially with the never ending Luas works in city centre

If you want to get bus rather than dart for some reason, here's the stops around the area

https://www.dublinbus.ie/Bus-it-to-Events/Venue-Map/?eventID=6024

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If you are going to a match in the Aviva, get the Dart. It stops right outside the stadium. Also, if the the 4 & 7 buses are already full with match goers by the time they reach O'Connell Bridge, they will just keep on going. They won't stop to pick up more passengers. (Had that happen to me a few times & wound up having to walk. :mad: ) If you are heading to the Aviva early, you'd probably be ok. But if you are heading there within an hour of throw in/kick off, odds are all the Ballsbridge bound buses will be full, by the time they get to O'Connell Bridge/Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi. Old thread but posting as it's the same topic.

Going to Aviva on Thursday for Ireland game, kick off 7:45pm. Driving from Galway, happy to be in Ballsbridge anytime from 6pm onward. What's my best route once I hit Dublin please, am I better off parking at Heuston and getting bus/dart/Luas or driving as close as I can get. Rush hour traffic won't help.

Cheers,

Pa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If you can get rid of the car at Heuston, or anywhere out of town, I'd recommend that - traffic around town is bananas the last couple of months at most times of day, and a Thursday evening rush-hour with a (presumably) sold out match to boot will only make it much, much worse.

Park anywhere on the Luas red line, change at Abbey Street and DART out to Lansdowne would be my suggestion

Cheers. Last tram west from Connolly is 7.30 so I'd need to get a bus from near Connolly. Would getting public transport after the game be a nightmare due to the amount of people?

What time does traffic get busy going out of town? If I hit the M50 just before 5, would taking that south and then close-ish to the stadium via Kimmage/Terenure be a good option?

Connolly is only a part-time luas stop these days - Busáras is literally just across the road and has the full luas service. But if you were coming on the DART from Lansdowne, you should get off at Tara St and walk over to Abbey luas stop, that's the quickest and shortest foot transfer.

The M50 at 5pm could well be at a standstill, and getting anywhere near Lansdowne after 5 or 5.30pm is going to be a nightmare, not to mention finding parking.

Now, lots of people do do it, so it is possible - but I wouldn't choose to do it!

Sorry but this info is harder to find than I thought-

Is there easy parking near Heuston station?

From Galway I drive past Heuston so can park there. Will traffic be heavy coming towards Heuston, around 5pm. Would I be better off getting the LUAS at Red Cow or would getting there & then the LUAS to Heuston take longer?

Thanks,

Pa.

There's a paid carpark at the back of Heuston, but I haven't used that in years and years so no idea how full it might be, or how much it costs for that matter. Maybe if you phoned someone might be able to advise?

There are carparks near the zoo in Phoenix Park, or outside Garda HQ, it's about a 10 minute walk back to Heuston from there

Getting to the Red Cow is one junction on the M50, but it's a bit of a lottery how fast that will be moving, and it's a fairly slow run in on the luas from there (not sure how long, but the luas ain't speedy)

And I'm sorry, I sound like the eternal pessimist - but it's due to be a fairly manky evening weather-wise, so traffic will be worse than usual - so leave plenty of time for yourself!

(I today belatedly realised that I have to make Donnybrook for 8pm this evening in the car - so am going to be in the thick of it - not looking forward to it at all!!)

• Advertisement

By chance I bumped into someone I know at one of the Plazas on the motorway.

Took his suggestion- M50 North, Port tunnel & park anywhere you find a spot within 20 mins of the stadium.

Advertisement