Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA TV discussions 2017-19

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 iprinter

iseegirls wrote: »
    Can't see anyone signing up for Sky Sports with just the intention to watch their 11 or so games of GAA.

There's way too many games on TV as it is - and the games on RTE are usually the most important ones - Hurling Munster Finals, Leinster Football Final, Semi Finals and Final.

most Sky Sports subscribers don't cancel in the summer months

• Registered Users Posts: 7,848 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

new media deal announced today.
    Newstalk loose radio rights (which is a shock as they did a good job of it if you ask me) but otherwise all the same as before aside from the deal running for 5 rather than 3 years.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/sky-and-rte-to-share-tv-coverage-while-newstalk-loses-out-in-new-gaa-media-deal-35281395.html
    Not a word on any changes, or otherwise, on GaaGo.

but I'd say the properly interesting stuff will be in the fine print
    Will Sky keep big quarter finals exclusively or was there enough unrest to make a change there? (from the number of games being shown, it seems not)
    Will Aer be showing as many division 2 games as previously, or was that even part of their contract?
    Will there be any change in dealing with replays, i.e. if Sky wont show it could RTE ?
    Was there any clip restrictions lifted that might mean more coverage on sky sport news, or have they just no interest in GAA news?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

In general Sky Sports News are only interested in sport being shown on Sky.

But to get back on topic, yeah it's (Newstalk aside) pretty much an "as you were" deal, with no substantial changes from a viewer point of view.

http://www.gaa.ie/news/gaa-confirms-media-rights-arrangements-for-2017-2022/

The clips deal has the potential to be interesting, but it falls down to how bothered users are to accessing them - in the case of the Premier League I sometimes find the Sunday Times highlights rights very useful (you can view highlights from within the match report in the iPad app) but I've never heard anyone else talk about them which leads me to believe they are probably under-utilised.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

icdg wrote: »
    But to get back on topic, yeah it's (Newstalk aside) pretty much an "as you were" deal, with no substantial changes from a viewer point of view.

You mean "move the dial" right? :)

Advertisement