Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 6 Episode 10 "The Winds of Winter" - "Non book readers"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I think part of the strong reaction to Cersei's revenge (whatever that was exactly, it was purposefully left to the viewer to fill in the horror blanks) is in part because at first the viewer is a bit "yeah, finally a bit of revenge on that evil nun! Ha! Wineboarding, how Cersei! ... oh she's not letting her die now, ooooh, she's going to lock her in this room and let her starve to death, that's pretty evil but good enough for the evil nun.... oh wait... no.... WTF... why is the Mountain here.... oh God... what's he going to do! God damn you Cersei you evil masochistic b*tch!" .... so IMO, the viewer goes very quickly from being on board (i.e. complicit) in the revenge to realizing they are on board with a mad woman who has no depths to the horror she will inflict on others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Bacchus wrote: »
    I think part of the strong reaction to Cersei's revenge (whatever that was exactly, it was purposefully left to the viewer to fill in the horror blanks) is in part because at first the viewer is a bit "yeah, finally a bit of revenge on that evil nun! Ha! Wineboarding, how Cersei! ... oh she's not letting her die now, ooooh, she's going to lock her in this room and let her starve to death, that's pretty evil but good enough for the evil nun.... oh wait... no.... WTF... why is the Mountain here.... oh God... what's he going to do! God damn you Cersei you evil masochistic b*tch!" .... so IMO, the viewer goes very quickly from being on board (i.e. complicit) in the revenge to realizing they are on board with a mad woman who has no depths to the horror she will inflict on others.

Exactly!

Moral ambiguity is GoT 101. Cersei is a thundering cow. But her humiliation, imprisonment, torture and the sexual violence of having her walk through the streets naked whilst being lambasted and assaulted by the mob - you can't help but feel she deserved some payback against the petty zealot who took great pleasure out of hurting her.

And then, just as you cheerfully get sucked in, you realise what a deeply vile person Cersei. That her time spent as a victim taught her nothing other than she needs to be the one dishing out the pain and hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

leggo wrote: »
    They're one in the same point. Why do you think I made the point that rape is never justified? I didn't think that needed expansion, but was opposed in that viewpoint so provided it. Where's the confusion?! :confused:

And, yes, veterans would probably have to make personal judgement calls before watching episodes like that, but fortunately it's well telegraphed with such catchy episode titles as 'Battle of the Bastards', so they can do so.

My point, since my first post here, was that the tone of this scene was near celebratory in nature as the bad guy was getting her comeuppance from the (relative) 'good guy' that they had wronged, then the idea of rape was so suddenly and harshly introduced. I'm not opposed to rape being used as a plot device, in fact I defended specific uses of it in this show previously, but I felt this was one bad judgement call in an otherwise amazing episode.

I'll say it again: it's infuriating being patronised and then having to explain the same point again because you didn't understand what I was saying. It's like I tell my little sister when she gets cheeky: a crucial part of being a smart-arse is that you're actually being smart in doing so, or else you're just being a bit of an arse.

Oh I get what you're saying I just think it's the usual high horse tripe that's in vogue.

Ser Zombie getting all rapey with Sister Stern in that scene makes perfect sense if you're actually paying attention as opposed to already being up on your high horse and ready to charge

Rape as a plot device is no more different to any of the other grisly, violent scenes that crop up on the show, there's no need for the writers to take into account the views of the league of moral arbitrators on what the appropriate tone is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

But he was already married.....

A love affair seems a more likely option.
    The very first King of The Seven Kingdoms, Aegon I Targaryen had two wifes, his sisters, Visenya and Rhaenys.

Aegon_And_His_Sisters_by_Amok..png

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Did she actually get raped though? I think the screams happened so quickly, that he was torturing her. He's in a full suit of armour, we only see the helmet coming off. Plus he's 'undead'. I, personally, think that he was torturing her, but that remains to be seen. Hopefully, will be cleared up next season.
    Personally I think being trapped in a room with an animated monster who is the antithesis of her faith is mental torture for the Septa. As the door closes we dont see Ser Gregor making any further movement. For the Septa to to trapped and forced to stare at that zombie would be mental torture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Tenger wrote: »
    would be mental torture.

As apposed to the severe, prolonged mental torture suffered by Theon. Oh, and having his meat and two veg hacked off.

I have no problem with GOT's use of rape as a tool of war. But I didn't think it was rape till I read it here. He doesn't move and I just figured she was screaming from fear at his grotesque features and realization that she was in for days or weeks of agony.

The talk of where the line is is a bit moot by the end of season 6 anyways. Genital mutilation, child marriage, torture, rape and rape as a weapon of war still happen today. People who can't handle seeing it on tv would have stopped watching ages ago.

I also think it's a bit rich for feminists to be up in arms. Even a couple of episodes ago, Theon was being laughed at for losing his dick and it's all grand. Whereas the same women are advocating and end to female genital mutilation. They likely don't even see the parallel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I have no problem with GOT's use of rape as a tool of war. But I didn't think it was rape till I read it here. He doesn't move and I just figured she was screaming from fear at his grotesque features and realization that she was in for days or weeks of agony.

The talk of where the line is is a bit moot by the end of season 6 anyways. Genital mutilation, child marriage, torture, rape and rape as a weapon of war still happen today. People who can't handle seeing it on tv would have stopped watching ages ago.

I also think it's a bit rich for feminists to be up in arms. Even a couple of episodes ago, Theon was being laughed at for losing his dick and it's all grand. Whereas the same women are advocating and end to female genital mutilation. They likely don't even see the parallel.

but we dont know it is rape. some people have assumed it is. it could quite easily be simply torture. i think they deliberately left it up to the viewers imagination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I thought the facts that he was undressing, that Cersei had been deliberately caressing the Septa, that Gregor Clegane has been established as a rapist and Cersei's "Shame, Shame, Shame" as she smirked her way down the corridor telegraphed what was happening in the room pretty clearly.

Cersei promised the Septa that she wouldn't be dying that day and, lets face it, the mountain wasn't exactly the sort you'd trust to prolong someone's death even before he was zombified... one would imagine Qyburn would be the pawn she'd use for that kind of torture.

I think it was fairly clearly spelled out what was about to happen tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,220 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It's easy to assume because it's Gregor Clegane.

In season one, a peasant told Ned how Clegane and his men raped women before killing them while on their rampage throughout the Riverlands. He gladly told Oberyn just before he popped his head that he raped Elia Martell and smashed her head in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Sleepy wrote: »
    I thought the facts that he was undressing, that Cersei had been deliberately caressing the Septa, that Gregor Clegane has been established as a rapist.........

All I saw was him taking off his helmet, he then stood over the table. As the door closed I didnt see hom making any other movements.

Not to mention the entire army of unsullied.

Everyone is treated equally badly in GoT :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

leggo wrote: »
    Yeah, I do appreciate that, and it also established how she'd become consumed by revenge so much she pulled The Mountain away from watching Tommen which allowed Tommen to kill himself. But it kinda plays into the criticism of Beinoff and Weiss from last year about them using rape as a plot device when it should really be used as an end game.

Again, I love the show and I'm not trying to kill the buzz, this was one of the top 5 episodes they've done easily, but that one scene made me uneasy in a bad way when they brought rape into it unnecessarily.

They haven't brought rape into it though. It's left up to the viewer to decide and interpret it. You're the one who has decided that for you, it's rape. Given what's happened the Mountain, I'm not sure that sort of thing would interest him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I asked before and I'll ask again -- how does an essentially reanimated corpse with very little (if any) autonomy even get an erection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Billy86 wrote: »
    I asked before and I'll ask again -- how does an essentially reanimated corpse with very little (if any) autonomy even get an erection?
    By getting presented with a hottie like Septa Unella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Sleepy wrote: »
    I thought the facts that he was undressing, that Cersei had been deliberately caressing the Septa, that Gregor Clegane has been established as a rapist and Cersei's "Shame, Shame, Shame" as she smirked her way down the corridor telegraphed what was happening in the room pretty clearly.

Cersei promised the Septa that she wouldn't be dying that day and, lets face it, the mountain wasn't exactly the sort you'd trust to prolong someone's death even before he was zombified... one would imagine Qyburn would be the pawn she'd use for that kind of torture.

On the contrary, the Mountain was well known for torture he committed, keeping his victims alive so they'd endure more pain.

He wasn't "undressing", he took off his helmet. He may have raped her, he may not have done. If you've decided that he has, that's up to you (not you specifically Sleepy).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

The very first King of The Seven Kingdoms, Aegon I Targaryen had two wifes, his sisters, Visenya and Rhaenys.

Aegon_And_His_Sisters_by_Amok..png

That is interesting. I doubt lyanna would be happy being a 2nd wife but I'd say we will see some twist in this story. It is weird that fans have become obsessed with it as ultimately, does it make a difference....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

You could stop the question at "how does an essentially reanimated corpse?" and the answer is, "It doesn't. It's not real or possible. They can make up any rules they want because it's their concept."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,596 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Joffrey didnt need an erection to do some of the raping that he got up to.

Anyway, torture is less worse than rape now?

Are we really having this argument?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Nunny is a puritanical zealot

Cersei is a sociopathic libertine

Cersei knew that torturing a zealot to death is'nt really much of a revenge, they don't mind being martyred for their beliefs. Nunny actually spelled that out to the viewer

That's why Cersei let Nunny know events were about to take a turn for the worse on the chastity front courtesy of an undead monster. Because she knew that was just the ticket for her revenge.

That's why she starts repeating nunnys "shame" line as she leaves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

By getting presented with a hottie like Septa Unella.

Damn right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

They blew the CGI budget for Season 7 already!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭dimwittedrep

Bacchus wrote: »
    "God damn you Cersei you evil masochistic b*tch!"
    Er, not that I'm an expert in these matters, but aren't you mixing up sadistic with masochistic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,336 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

That is interesting. I doubt lyanna would be happy being a 2nd wife but I'd say we will see some twist in this story. It is weird that fans have become obsessed with it as ultimately, does it make a difference....

Whether someone is a potential king or a bastard makes a huge difference tbh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Er, not that I'm an expert in these matters, but aren't you mixing up sadistic with masochistic?

Sorry yes, should be sadistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tringle

What to do at 9pm tonight?

tringle wrote: »

Wait for another 5 hours and sit on the sofa feeling bereft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

tringle wrote: »

CmcZGWMXYAUzz82.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭CdeC

Rigor mortis my dear friend.

Also Zombies are not real so physiological rules wouldn't really apply here.

Advertisement