Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which laptop to get, I'm starting a degree in computer science

Options

Comments

Big hello to all. I am starting a degree in comp. science. And I was wondering what spec on laptop I would need. Such as processor, RAM, and battery life. Thanks for any advice you all can give.

I'd reckon something with an I5, 8 gb ram minimum and battery life depends on you..... How often will you be near a plug charger etc.

What is your budget? Hard to pick something out for you, if you are not giving an idea of what kind of money you want to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Joejoanne123

Budget is 600-800. Not overly familiar with Windows 8 or 10. So which is best in your opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I have been working of this machine for the last 2 years. It'd an absolute beauty. It's cost me around €700, you can buy it on amazon for £350

Thanks for that Hollister. Though the battery life seems a little short as I don't know how easy it will be for charging it while in college.

Thanks for that Hollister. Though the battery life seems a little short as I don't know how easy it will be for charging it while in college.

Battery life on it is ****. I never bring it to college, as we're in computer labs for every class, and the libary as plenty of computers.

I just use it at home.

• Advertisement

What are you studying yourself?

What are you studying yourself?

Computer Science.

Where at, if you don't mind me asking? And what year are your on?

I am very new to boards.ie. Is there anyway of adding friends on here. As I would like to add you if that is okay with you.

Where at, if you don't mind me asking? And what year are your on?

I'm in the National College Of Ireland. I have just finished 2nd year, heading into 3rd year in September.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your replies. I am very new to boards.ie. Is there anyway of adding friends on here. As I would like to add you if that is okay with you.

I am very new to boards.ie. Is there anyway of adding friends on here. As I would like to add you if that is okay with you.

If you click into my profile on the desktop site, there should be an option.

One step ahead of ya. Have already made a request. Have you had many people drop out of your course?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

69081459.jpg

One step ahead of ya. Have already made a request. Have you had many people drop out of your course?

30/80 dropped out/failed first year. I expect 15 - 20 to do the same now.

Have had a look at that laptop you suggested. It looks great though I have heard the Lenovo support is #<%~!

I'm off to IT Sligo myself as a mature student. Start 29th August. Excited and worried😕😄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

Should get a tb of storage. Is imagine a CS student could be running a few virtual machines. Lirs of ram too. 8gb minimum. More of you can stretch.

I'm off to IT Sligo myself as a mature student. Start 29th August. Excited and worried😕😄

I was the same. I was 18, excited to go off to college, and new nobody. But I love it so much, and have never missed a day.

Yea the laptop is really good, bar the battery.

What series is the processor in that i7 of yours. Is it 5th series?

• Advertisement

What series is the processor in that i7 of yours. Is it 5th series?

4th AFAIK

bren2002 wrote: »
    Should get a tb of storage. Is imagine a CS student could be running a few virtual machines. Lirs of ram too. 8gb minimum. More of you can stretch.

It runs virtual machines just fine.

Any use in looking at these refurbed machines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Does the OP really need that powerful a PC to run computer science tutorial programs? 8GB is more than enough. 4 would do but you're on the lower end but it'd do it your budget couldn't stretch.

Refurbished machines are perfect. They are just returned faulty machines that have been fixed.

So you get a new machine at a discounted price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I remember I used a Dell Precision M90 and later a Dell XPS M1710 (shows how old I am now) which looking back was probably overkill at the time. Everyone else had at the time had an Inspiron 6400, Acer, Toshiba etc

Equivalent today would be €2-3k

i5 above and you'll be fine. Just don't go for a notebook with a soldered processor.

If you can get a decent deal, then why not.

Keep an eye on the model you choose to see if it's soon to be replaced by an updated version. You might prefer to wait until the upgrade comes.

Just don't go for a notebook with a soldered processor.

I think a Notebook would be perfect for Uni. Easy to carry around, light. I'd throw caution to buying a large screened, heavy laptop for academia.

Hey Grab, how will I know if it is a soldered processor?

• Advertisement

I think a Notebook would be perfect for Uni. Easy to carry around, light. I'd throw caution to buying a large screened, heavy laptop for academia.

Not really powerful machines generally though.

Advertisement