Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Desktop Spec & Build help

Options
  • 23-06-2016 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Im in the market to buy a new desktop. Its specifically for running Adobe graphic design products. Here's the details of a post I put up on Adobe, and the response showing the suggested spec.

I want to get the max setup for running for pretty much Photoshop, Illustrator and In Design open all day every day, and hopping between all 3 pretty much all the time.
    Do I opt for higher ram? Processor? I’m assuming a super graphics card isn’t too important as it won’t be for gaming or video processing?

Reply:
    Four core cpu should be enough power, something like the i7-6700 or i7-6700k (the k version might be around 10% faster). if you wanted to spend more on something faster, there are 6 core cpu's, like the i7-6800k. however it needs to be overclocked to get it running fast. some custom pc shops will build it this way for you. 8 cores or higher gets wasteful for the software you mention.

16gb of ram minimum. since you plan on having several programs open at once, chances are decent it will be near or over the 16gb. it will just depend on the media and projects you have. more ram may not be noticed much in performance, it just helps when switching between open applications. 32gb would play it safe, and its not too expensive these days. if you do decide 16gb, just make sure its 2 sticks of 8gb, and the system/motherboard you get is able to hold 4 sticks, so you can add in another 16gb (2x8gb) later if desired.

a gtx 950 or 960 should be ok for a 144hz monitor.

I had been looking at this (attached) from Custompc (yes Ive read the slating here), until I found this forum.

1. What is your budget? €1000

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?
    Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign) several browsers open at once with several tabs each

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need. N/A

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 24" Samsung. Yes

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes

8. How can you pay? Bank Transfer/Credit Card

9. When are you purchasing? ASAP

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Wexford and Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Notice no ssd there deffo would have one for the OS at a minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Intel Core i7 6700 ~€310 (You don't need to overclock it IMO as Adobe scales poorly. The iGPU wil be fine as you don't need a dGPU by the looks of your workloads. If you do, toss in an RX 460 for around €120 when it launches)
    16GB 2800MHz DDR4: €60 (Obviously the more the merrier for multi-tasking. Just be aware that I picked 2800MHz because some reports suggest it aids layer responsiveness)
    Z170 MSI PRO: €105 (A motherboard with a solid amount of connectivity and storage)
    x1 128GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD: €45 (for the OS)
    x1 256GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD: €80 (for the Adobe software suite and current projects)
    x1 2TB HDD: €70 (For strage of completed projects and other stuff)
    A 400W PSU from EVGA or Corsair: €50
    Case: (Pick one of you choice that houses an ATX motherboard and suits your palette)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Go Xeon.

They're binned for reliability & are basically i7s without the iGPU.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057612573

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/6tzmGf

Basically this build with less RAM/HDDs

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

Be careful on Adobe it only allows updates on main OS drive so use at least 250gb SSD it's a known problem with not being able to change default install and update location this is for the cloud setup anyway. I had to change the computer I built hard drive from 128gb to 256gb as it was almost maxing drive with updates making it really slow as not enough room for swap file or whatever Adobe call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    They're binned for reliability & are basically i7s without the iGPU.

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Go Xeon.

I agree with this I went Xeon myself with build last year and 16gb ram it's flying with this and a geforce gtx 660

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Alan666

This all great help folks much appreciated. Thx also for the specific tips on Adobe prefs cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

jhud wrote: »
    Be careful on Adobe it only allows updates on main OS drive so use at least 250gb SSD it's a known problem with not being able to change default install and update location this is for the cloud setup anyway. I had to change the computer I built hard drive from 128gb to 256gb as it was almost maxing drive with updates making it really slow as not enough room for swap file or whatever Adobe call it.

That's still happening? God Adobe, pay your software engineers!

You would have to wonder is today a good day to buy hardware from UK in sterling... hmmm

Not sure if budget will allow Xeon, might have to stop at i7. Should I think i7 over any of the highest spec AMDs? Sorry if dumb question. Cheers again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Quad core Xeons should be cheaper than quad i7s.

Not sure on the AMD v Intel argument outside of gaming so can't answer that

• Advertisement

Alan666 wrote: »
    Not sure if budget will allow Xeon, might have to stop at i7. Should I think i7 over any of the highest spec AMDs? Sorry if dumb question. Cheers again.

AMD CPUs haven't been competitive with Intel outside of low-end since 2years+

Go Xeon/i7.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (€307.68 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Motherboard: MSI B150 PC Mate ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€86.49 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Memory: Kingston FURY 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (€119.03 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Samsung 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€69.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Western Digital Red 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (€92.24 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Western Digital Red 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (€92.24 @ Mindfactory)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card (€117.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Case: NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case (€49.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Power Supply: be quiet! PURE POWER 9 400W 80+ Silver Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (€58.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €992.57
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-20 01:00 CEST+0200

You can replace the card with a 2048MB PNY Quadro K420 , or just remove the graphics card entirely and use the onboard iGPU.

(Didn't realise the previous build I recommended was missing some of the prices.)

Thanks for this K.O.Kiki - just a question I wont need more than 2TB on the HDD, so would there be any noticable advantage to swapping the 5400 for a 7200? Also what about a CPU cooler? And lastly would the 400w Power Supply be entry level, in other words go slightly higher? Thanks again man.
    Oh and lastly wont i need thermal paste and anything else?
    Cheers

Thanks for this K.O.Kiki - just a question I wont need more than 2TB on the HDD, so would there be any noticable advantage to swapping the 5400 for a 7200? Also what about a CPU cooler? And lastly would the 400w Power Supply be entry level, in other words go slightly higher? Thanks again man.
    Oh and lastly wont i need thermal paste and anything else?
    Cheers
    You can read more about WD's different colours here:
    Understanding the WD Rainbow

I gave you 2xTB for RAID 1 setup, but you can also have an external backup instead.

i7-6700 comes with its own cooler. Since the CPU is 65W TDP, I'd say it's grand on the stock cooler.

400W is plenty for a non-gaming PC.

Thermal paste is pre-applied on the cooler, but feel free to buy a tube of paste (e.g. Arctic MX-4) and put 3 lentil-sized dabs on.

Much appreciated, thanks for your time and help. Do you undertake the custom build? Are you located in Dublin (Im in Wexford).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just to note, that the 6700K isn't much more expensive, and while it's really designed to be overclocked, the base clock is actually considerably faster than the non-K 6700 - 4Ghz vs 3.4Ghz. An OC capable mobo would also only be about €20-30 more expensive and means you can leave it at is, or in future, OC it moderately - basic overclocks are fairly simple, and even having it at 4.4Ghz would require zero effort, most boards will have an auto OC function that will do it for you.

Cheers, but some expert guy in Adobe SW said OC wont really make any odds for what Im using it for. Opening, and saving are a real pain point esp for Adobe Illustrator. Saving in particular, even for moderate file sizes (eg 100MB) can be irritating to say the least. Im thinking the WD Red/Re and/or the SSD might help this issue. Sorry, pretty much a newb on the subject of spec.

Just a question on Amazon.de are there any issue sto look out for? I was also looking at an i5 laptop and its considerably cheaper - much cheaper Acer Aspire 260 eur http://amzn.to/2c1LgR3 am I missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That's a scammer. Amazon is rife with them. They try and get buyers to email them and conduct the sale outside of Amazon. If you buy through Amazon, your money won't be taken and Amazon will just delete the sellers account, but they'll just make another one and hope to catch someone else out.

TerrorFirmer thanks very much for that sound advice. Spose its true then, no such thing as a free lunch.
    Wife looking for laptop so was trying to push the spec but keep the price. Only option i see is laptops direct Grade A refurb and take out extra warranty.

Would someone mind throwing an eye over this custom build just before I purchase please?

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/kzfKkT

It will never be used to run a single game (not my thing) its purely for Adobe Suite of Desktop Publishing, Photo manipulation/rendering and Graphic Design. Know its high spec'd but dont plan on upgrading again for a good many years. Cheers

• Advertisement

Would someone kindly cast an eye of this build before I click the Buy button?

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/kzfKkT

It will never be used to run a single game (not mything) used purely for DTP Adobe suite of Graphic design tools, Photo manipulations/rendering - cheers.

Just in case a small tweak here and there might either save a few bob, or maybe make it even slightly more future proofed. I need this to last for a good many years thanks.
    Damn crappy Internet dupe post. Sorry

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (€367.84 @ Mindfactory)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (€37.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste (€13.43 @ Mindfactory)
    Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z270-K ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€147.53 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€93.43 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€80.32 @ Mindfactory)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 460 4GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card (€127.66 @ Mindfactory)
    Case: NZXT Source 530 ATX Full Tower Case (€104.83 @ Mindfactory)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (€87.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card (€35.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan (€24.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Total: €1121.40
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-01 00:19 CET+0100

Pretty sure GPU power is not needed.
    Newer generation CPU + motherboard.
    Seasonic PSU (never heard of NOX - it's not even 80+ certified - AVOID)

Not sure why you'd want a PCI sound card TBH

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Not sure why you'd want a PCI sound card TBH

Cool thanks man - Sound Card perhaps my ignorance, I thought I would need one, but I guess I dont with Motherboard picked??

Cool thanks man - Sound Card perhaps my ignorance, I thought I would need one, but I guess I dont with Motherboard picked??

Motherboard has sound covered.

I forgot to put RAM into the above list - don't forget it.

Removing the sound card would alternatively allow for this configuration:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor (€447.84 @ Mindfactory)
    CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen MAX 97.2 CFM CPU Cooler (€52.22 @ Mindfactory)
    Motherboard: MSI X99A SLI PLUS ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard* (€228.09 @ Mindfactory)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (€207.74 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€93.37 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€80.26 @ Mindfactory)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 460 4GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card (€127.66 @ Mindfactory)
    Case: Zalman Z11 NEO ATX Mid Tower Case (€74.83 @ Mindfactory)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (€87.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Total: €1399.85
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-01 13:08 CET+0100

The i7-6800K is a 6core/12thread CPU which is better for professional use than the 6700K.

*MSI promotion for free Mafia III code, too

Thanks kiki do you know if Mindfactory call out VAT on their invoice (as will be claiming VAT back) and my German isnt all that :-)
    Cancel that, finally found it. Thanks again for your help.

Oh one last question kiki, I didnt mention the monitor I purchased. Its for its excellent colour calibtation I got it so would a higher Graphics card in fact be important? Its a Dell U2715H IPS.

Oh one last question kiki, I didnt mention the monitor I purchased. Its for its excellent colour calibtation I got it so would a higher Graphics card in fact be important? Its a Dell U2715H IPS.

Higher-end graphics cards matter more for 3D pixel-pushing in games.

For 2D work they're essentially all the same.

The RX460 has DisplayPort so can handle your 1440p screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I'd say even internal graphics would be enough to be honest, as the hardware acceleration doesn't even require that much grunt.

Edit: Ignore me, the motherboard doesn't even have a video header so you require a graphics card.

man Im getting an earful from teenage gamer son haha insisting i need the higher GPU and thinks ive lost the plot with 32GB DDR4 - and regards the RAM I got it on good advice from a intense adobe user, if Im gonna have several differnt Adobe apps active at once it will surpass 16 at times so sounds fair to me.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Motherboard has sound covered.

I forgot to put RAM into the above list - don't forget it.

Removing the sound card would alternatively allow for this configuration:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor (€447.84 @ Mindfactory)
    CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen MAX 97.2 CFM CPU Cooler (€52.22 @ Mindfactory)
    Motherboard: MSI X99A SLI PLUS ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard* (€228.09 @ Mindfactory)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (€207.74 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€93.37 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€80.26 @ Mindfactory)
    Case: Zalman Z11 NEO ATX Mid Tower Case (€74.83 @ Mindfactory)
    Total: €1399.85
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-01 13:08 CET+0100

The i7-6800K is a 6core/12thread CPU which is better for professional use than the 6700K.

*MSI promotion for free Mafia III code, too

Just noticed compatability flagged: Some Intel X99 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Broadwell-E CPUs.
    Should I be concerned about that? Thanks again for patience with my newbness.

Advertisement