Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! LC Applied Maths 2016 Before and after

Options
  • 22-06-2016 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

I'm optimistic about it. Hoping for an a1 but I will be content with a b1 and up

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mrBigDiCk

Which questions are everyone doing?
    Im covering 1-5 , 7 + 10 hopefully - depends on how much I can cram into 2days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

mrBigDiCk wrote: »
    Which questions are everyone doing?
    Im covering 1-5 , 7 + 10 hopefully - depends on how much I can cram into 2days!
    with your username I hope you can't cram a lot :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

I'm doing 1,2,3,4,5,10 maybe 9 also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

1,2,3,4,5 and 10.

7 is an option!

Anyone have decent Rigid Body Notes to share? The proofs are fine but can't wrap my head around the whole inertia thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭onlinenerd

Doing 1,2,3,4,5 and 10. Hoping for an easy paper since I dont finish till like half 7 on Friday and the last thing I want to do is tear my head on calculus

• Advertisement

onlinenerd wrote: »
    Doing 1,2,3,4,5 and 10. Hoping for an easy paper since I dont finish till like half 7 on Friday
    hmm? It's the last exam. you're finished at 4:30pm like the rest of us? No?

hmm? It's the last exam. you're finished at 4:30pm like the rest of us? No?

Nope I do applied maths at 5 because I do religion as well

Nope I do applied maths at 5 because I do religion as well
    But won't you know what's on the paper?

But won't you know what's on the paper?

Nah its only like a half hr difference between the exams and I am supervised by the school

• Registered Users Posts: 23 saif.khalid14

Does anyone had any 2016 mock paper (deb or exam craft) if so could you please forward it to me thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Feel like I know nothing for Applied Maths :embarrassed: Really getting stressed about it now!

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Feel like I know nothing for Applied Maths :embarrassed: Really getting stressed about it now!

I'm going over 6 q's between today tomorrow and friday morning. Theres still loads of time so just keep at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

Gonna be doing a lot of maths tomorrow now... Better be a good paper haha, could get anywhere from 70-99% depending on the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Misty_01

Does anyone had any 2016 mock paper (deb or exam craft) if so could you please forward it to me thanks

If you don't mind, please send it to me too ! Thanks

Here's hoping for a good final paper for all of us.

adam240610 wrote: »
    Here's hoping for a good final paper for all of us.

indeed.
    q1 can be difficult so i will do it last
    q2 can be difficult. i hate it
    q3 is usually ok
    q4 is usually ok (No wedges please!!)
    q5 easy to set up but there can be difficulty in angles
    q10 was very nice last year. keep it up SEC!!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭iFergal

Hope this is a nice paper. I have q1-6, 8 and 10 prepped very well, hopefully the 2 options will come in handy if we get a bit of an odd paper! :P

Then finally free for the whopper sesh.

iFergal wrote: »
    Hope this is a nice paper. I have q1-6, 8 and 10 prepped very well, hopefully the 2 options will come in handy if we get a bit of an odd paper! :P

Then finally free for the whopper sesh.

Can you pm any inertia notes please for Q8? :o

Damn, you couldn't have been more unlucky... one of my friends couldn't find his and took them off me a few hours ago because I was finished revising it.

There isn't a whole pile of variance in the question B's, so it might be worthwhile looking for some different questions and having a look at marking schemes. In particular, the older papers with hand-written solutions - they can be difficult to read but have more detail.

Basic concepts would be based around knowing where to set the standard position from where to measure heights for potential energy - this will always be the lowest centre of gravity (careful of point masses) - then gain in kinetic is equal to loss in potential. If they are set up right, they are hard to mess up.

If you need to find period, for the mgh bit underneath the line: turn the system on it's side with the axis at one end and add up all the moments (force [mg] by distance from the axis).

Nice tip to remember is if you have a triangle (of say 3 rods joined together), the centre of gravity will be a third of the height. C.O.G = median = bisector of altitudes. Altitudes bisect each other in the ratio of 2:1, hence h/3.

Anything that is moving, be it down an incline or a pulley system will have regular kinetic energy of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fz3LzbzKrQ&list=PL63819923917D99C0&index=46 this might help but im not sure

• Advertisement

Damn, you couldn't have been more unlucky... one of my friends couldn't find his and took them off me a few hours ago because I was finished revising it.

There isn't a whole pile of variance in the question B's, so it might be worthwhile looking for some different questions and having a look at marking schemes. In particular, the older papers with hand-written solutions - they can be difficult to read but have more detail.

Basic concepts would be based around knowing where to set the standard position from where to measure heights for potential energy - this will always be the lowest centre of gravity (careful of point masses) - then gain in kinetic is equal to loss in potential. If they are set up right, they are hard to mess up.

If you need to find period, for the mgh bit underneath the line: turn the system on it's side with the axis at one end and add up all the moments (force [mg] by distance from the axis).

Nice tip to remember is if you have a triangle (of say 3 rods joined together), the centre of gravity will be a third of the height. C.O.G = median = bisector of altitudes. Altitudes bisect each other in the ratio of 2:1, hence h/3.

Anything that is moving, be it down an incline or a pulley system will have regular kinetic energy of course.

I can do the compound and simple oscillations and all that, but can't wrap my head around how you obtain the moment of inertia.

I thought I knew how and was doing well for simple questions, but looking at the marking scheme it just confuses me.

For example, the moment of inertia of a square lamina with axis to the perpendicular... In the marking scheme, they did (2)(4/3)ml^2 but that's for a rod no?

With the guaranteed proof it's an easy question to obtain most marks in.

I can do the compound and simple oscillations and all that, but can't wrap my head around how you obtain the moment of inertia.

I thought I knew how and was doing well for simple questions, but looking at the marking scheme it just confuses me.

For example, the moment of inertia of a square lamina with axis to the perpendicular... In the marking scheme, they did (2)(4/3)ml^2 but that's for a rod no?

With the guaranteed proof it's an easy question to obtain most marks in.

Moment of inertia of an axis on the plane of the lamina (through it's centre-line) is 1/3ml^2, just like a rod. What you need to do is get one horizontal and vertical along the plane (both 1/3ml^2) and then use the perpendicular axis theorem. Ia + Ib = Ic. So the moment of inertia about an axis perpendicular to it's centre is 1/3ml^2 + 1/3ml^2 = 2/3ml^2. Then you will often be required to move it using the parallel axis theorem to one of the vertices.

Moment of inertia of an axis on the plane of the lamina (through it's centre-line) is 1/3ml^2, just like a rod. What you need to do is get one horizontal and vertical along the plane (both 1/3ml^2) and then use the perpendicular axis theorem. Ia + Ib = Ic. So the moment of inertia about an axis perpendicular to it's centre is 1/3ml^2 + 1/3ml^2 = 2/3ml^2. Then you will often be required to move it using the parallel axis theorem to one of the vertices.

Ah that makes sense now. So all lamina use the same moments of inertia as the rod.

Makes sense now! Thanks. :)

indeed.
    q1 can be difficult so i will do it last
    q2 can be difficult. i hate it
    q3 is usually ok
    q4 is usually ok (No wedges please!!)
    q5 easy to set up but there can be difficulty in angles
    q10 was very nice last year. keep it up SEC!!

I'm gonna try do it in order, how I always do it, might do 10 first if it looks okay.

1-3 are normally pretty easy for me, 4 is grand with no wedges, 5 is good too but they can get quirky. 6 is very easy every few years, otherwise pretty hard. I do 9 and 10 as well, which have both been pretty easy last few years

Would take last years paper any time though

hoping for nice q2 and q10 and q5b but otherwise hoping for a B

Hoping for a B1 minimum, that or over and I'll be happy, otherwise i'll be counting english for points I'd say.

Likewise. If you get less 20/50 in any one question you have lost the A1. If there are two part b's that I find very tough I probably won't get an A1. I'm going to make sure that I'm writing for the whole 2 and half hours though. You get can do any question any amount of times wrong but if you get it right even once or are on track to get it right you will get most of the marks. Also in previous tough app math papers any sort of attempt which is usually 4/10 marks went up to 7/10 while a good attempt which is usually 7/10 went up to 10/10. So try to stay optimistic while you're in there. And stick to your timing!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 chris241111

Could someone tell me what 'relative to the ground means' again just having a mini meltdown :/

Likewise. If you get less 20/50 in any one question you have lost the A1. If there are two part b's that I find very tough I probably won't get an A1. I'm going to make sure that I'm writing for the whole 2 and half hours though. You get can do any question any amount of times wrong but if you get it right even once or are on track to get it right you will get most of the marks. Also in previous tough app math papers any sort of attempt which is usually 4/10 marks went up to 7/10 while a good attempt which is usually 7/10 went up to 10/10. So try to stay optimistic while you're in there. And stick to your timing!

Didn't know applied maths even had attempt marks!!! :o

• Advertisement

Could someone tell me what 'relative to the ground means' again just having a mini meltdown :/

you are looking directly overhead the cars, aeroplanes or ships.

Advertisement