Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a PC for Video and Photo Editing

Options
  • 21-06-2016 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭

A recommendation for elsewhere on boards.ie has brought me to here.

I'm considering building a PC for photo and video editing. I've taken the liberty of copying and pasting the questionaire from the sticky thread on this forum. So, here goes, and apolgies in advance for any ommisions.

1. What is your budget? Up to €1500

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Photo and Video editing. But, for example, I want to be able to move around a multi-layered image file in Photoshop (2-4GB in size) without blinking. No spinning wheels! :)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? I have Windows 10 Pro x64 on my existing machine. Can I use that?

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. n/a

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    [1920x1080] [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Bank transfer or Credit Card

9. When are you purchasing? Well, I want to build, so I'll be purchasing the parts. But, in the next month.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City]

On the issue of storage, I'd like one drive for OS and programs (SSD?), and two other drives for storing image files - one RAW, one Edited. That's the setup I've had for the last few years and it works very well. Each of these two other drives would need to be 2TB.

Any other questions?

Thanks in advance.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,702 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Something like this?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant[..........]
    [see below]

Total: €1135.71
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-21 17:27 CEST+0200
    +whatever case you want.

Not sure where you stand on your Win10 Pro license - AFAIK if you have full version install discs, you can transfer it, but if it's pre-installed/OEM you can not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'm not going to pick on all your builds Kiki but do you need 32gb RAM OP? How much are you rocking atm.

Regardless, Xeon is an i7 without an integrated GPU, makes no odds here. You'll have a cooler, quieter PC with very high quality parts if you follow Kikis links.

My main gripe would be to get a Skylake CPU and DDR4 but I'll wait for someone who knows more to have a word on that befor I recommend it.

I'm not going to pick on all your builds Kiki but do you need 32gb RAM OP? How much are you rocking atm.

Regardless, Xeon is an i7 without an integrated GPU, makes no odds here. You'll have a cooler, quieter PC with very high quality parts if you follow Kikis links.

My main gripe would be to get a Skylake CPU and DDR4 but I'll wait for someone who knows more to have a word on that befor I recommend it.

I was going by PugetSystems' RAM recommendations:
    https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photoshop-CS6-Memory-Optimization-182/page4
    also
    https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-Photoshop-139/Hardware-Recommendations

However I will revise it based on further articles.
    *edit*
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant[.....]

[see new post]

Expandable to 64Gb RAM in future.
    Might be worth it to look at price/power usage of AMD RX 470/480 4Gb (out next week)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks a million for the spec.

In terms of quality (as opposed to speed/capacity/performance etc.) how do the individual parts rate? I would be happy to spend more in order to ensure inbuilt longevity and reliability. (I know this is never guaranteed no matter what you spend, but nevertheless.) For example, I currently store RAW files (far more important than Edited files) on an internal 2Tb drive. They are also stored on an external 10Tb LaCie drive, and some files are stored in the Cloud. The 2 x 2Tb I have are both Western Digital and have served me very well. How do Seagate compare?

Can you please add a sound card to the spec.

Is there a headphone socket?

How many USB points would it have? What would be the 3.0/2.0 breakdown?

When it says "taxes included", does that include VAT for importing the parts? Or, indeed, is there any Irish VAT applied?

What's my next step? Order all the parts and then....look dazed and confused...? :) Seriously, I'm really getting into this. My summer project!

Thanks again, Kiki.

D.

Edited: Also, DVD/CD reader/burner combo. Though I could probably survive on just DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Dinarius wrote: »
    Can you please add a sound card to the spec.

Is there a headphone socket?

That motherboard comes with 8 channel on board audio.
    How many USB points would it have? What would be the 3.0/2.0 breakdown?

4 x USB 3.0 and 2 x USB 2.0

• Advertisement

mordeith wrote: »
    That motherboard comes with 8 channel on board audio.

4 x USB 3.0 and 2 x USB 2.0

mordeith,

Thanks for the reply.

So, I take the headphone socket as a given.

Is USB 3.0 backward compatible?

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

mordeith,

Thanks for the reply.

So, I take the headphone socket as a given.

Is USB 3.0 backward compatible?

Thanks.

D.

Yes and yes

Have a look at a few "How to build a PC" videos on YouTube and get your hands on a Philips screwdriver, that's all you need to build a PC

I'll have another look at the hard drives, think i may have messed up the recommendation. :(

After looking at Backblaze's reliability charts, I will switch my HDD recommendation to Hitachi-brand.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V5 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (€270.45 @ Mindfactory)
    CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 45.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (€20.71 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X150M-PRO ECC Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€111.82 @ Mindfactory)
    Memory: Crucial 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€109.33 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€212.52 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€66.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€66.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB Superclocked Video Card (€195.89 @ Mindfactory)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (€85.82 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€90.92 @ Mindfactory)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0 DVD/CD Writer (€14.59 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €1245.85
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-22 15:37 CEST+0200

• Advertisement

Kiki,

Many thanks for the update.

I presume you feel the same way about the other components - i.e. no need to review.

I would still be interested in some further input from others on this forum.

Many thanks.

D.

All solid as far as I'm concerned.

Why a 960 though?

All solid as far as I'm concerned.

Why a 960 though?

OP mentioned using 2-4Gb Photoshop files, and Puget Systems recommends a 3-4Gb VRAM GPU in such scenarios.
    This also informed the recommendation for a 4core/8HT Xeon CPU, and 32Gb RAM (expandable to 64Gb).

However I would also reiterate it might be worth it to wait on prices/power consumption of the 4Gb AMD RX 470 / RX 480.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I don't know where Puget are getting their info, but AFAIK Photoshop doesn't use GPU processing at all, or if it does it's minimal - as in like a few filters might use it. I've edited a 4-5gb PSD on my macbook pro which has a 2012 i5 with Intel HD4000 graphics.

I'd agree with the high RAM and decent CPU alright. I believe the GPU would probably be more beneficial in video editing, although I've no experience with this so can't really comment.

On a side-note - I'm curious how you'd be hitting such large file sizes on a regular basis in PS. The image I mentioned above was something along the lines of a 70-image RAW stack, with probably another 30 layers for good measure.

Thanks for your input.

My basic photo file size would be 220Mb. It's easy to stack up from there.

As for video, as far as I can see, the more grunt all round, the better. So, I'm happy to over spec a little.

D.

I don't know where Puget are getting their info, but AFAIK Photoshop doesn't use GPU processing at all, or if it does it's minimal - as in like a few filters might use it. I've edited a 4-5gb PSD on my macbook pro which has a 2012 i5 with Intel HD4000 graphics.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photoshop-CS6-GPU-Acceleration-161/

GPU processing started with CS6.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

Re Samsung SSD, is there much performance/longevity difference between the 850 Evo vs 850 Pro?
    - The Evo is about 35% cheaper...

zbluebirdz wrote: »
    Re Samsung SSD, is there much performance/longevity difference between the 850 Evo vs 850 Pro?
    - The Evo is about 35% cheaper...

There's a reason the Pro is more expensive ;)

It should (theoretically) last ~2x longer.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    There's a reason the Pro is more expensive ;)

It should (theoretically) last ~2x longer.

Ah go away, in two years my gaming SSD, which has seen a lot of chopping and changing of files has had about 3Tb total written to it. At that rate I have another 98 years minimum before the drive goes tits up according to Samsung. Even if it was to fail in a third of the time it should be good for I'd still have 30 years left.

Save yourself the few euro OP, it can be better spent elsewhere.

I understand OP will be writing to disk a lot more than I will but even at 10x the rate I do he still has 15 years from an Evo

Ok guys and gals, for various reasons I haven't been able to address this issue over the last two months.

Now that summer is over and I have the time, I want to go ahead and put together a new computer.

For convenience, here is KO Kiki's build spec from his post of June 22nd last. (Thanks)

Am I right in thinking that, in the intervening period, the cost of the build has fallen from €1245.85 (as mentioned in his post) to €861.36 now?

If so, happy days. Equally, should I be reconsidering anything in the spec? (I'm looking for a Porsche with a keyboard! :))

Thanks in any advance for any feedback.

D.

• Advertisement

Your RAM, GPU and PSU aren't in that price

Your RAM, GPU and PSU aren't in that price

Doh! Silly me! :rolleyes:

Anyway, back to the drawing board...spec still ok?

Thanks.

D.

Looks good to me. I'm on mobile so can't fix the list sorry

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V5 3.4GHz Quad-Core OEM/Tray Processor (€267.84 @ Mindfactory)
    CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 45.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (€24.92 @ Mindfactory)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X150M-PRO ECC Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€111.77 @ Mindfactory)
    Memory: G.Skill Aegis 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€140.37 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€148.94 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Hitachi 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€148.22 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Hitachi 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€148.22 @ Mindfactory)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 460 4GB Video Card (€135.12 @ Mindfactory)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (€86.32 @ Mindfactory)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€51.80 @ Mindfactory)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0 DVD/CD Writer (€18.89 @ Mindfactory)
    Total: €1282.41
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-11 18:23 CEST+0200

*Buy the case on Amazon*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Maybe swap the evga psu for the be quiet 7 500w. Is 6 euro more.

Maybe swap the evga psu for the be quiet 7 500w. Is 6 euro more.

Not sure what you're referring to.

Thanks.

D.

Not sure what you're referring to.

Thanks.

D.

In koki's build above . The power supply is evga 500w bronze. Swap for the be quiet 7 500 silver. Is only a few euro more.

In koki's build above . The power supply is evga 500w bronze. Swap for the be quiet 7 500 silver. Is only a few euro more.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't realize that 'be quiet' is a brand! redface.png

Please indicate which one you're referring to on the be quiet website.

Thanks.

D.

Be quiet system power 7 500w silver.

Or just type in geizhals.de be quiet 7 500w you will get a hit.

57.85 mindfactory.

Don't forget as koki said get the case on Amazon. There is a hefty premium for buying on Mindfactory.

Speaking of computer case. Get the fractal design define r5 instead of r 4. Pretty much same price on Amazon. Around 105 euro.

Above is all just nit pickey but slight improvements on an otherwise solid build. if the budget is getting tight leave it as is.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice.

No issue with budget - within reason - this is a total tax right-off. So, any further suggestions, I'm all ears!

Thanks again.

D.

Advertisement