Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noob to PC gaming/building. Advice needed please.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Xbone controller - PC version has a dongle thing.

A cheap mechanical keyboard if you can get one and any ol mouse you fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Xbone controller - PC version has a dongle thing.

A cheap mechanical keyboard if you can get one and any ol mouse you fancy.

The upcoming revision of the Xbone pad will be using standard Bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Cheapest mechanical is going to be crap

A) Get something cheap

B) Get a quality one

Both will game the same, quality is just way more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Lads, super excited now, all ordered!

Next up IS the GPU. Any recommendations yet?

Rx 480 at the end of the or a GTX 1070 right now. Given the 480 is AMDs best value card once it's less than €350 for the 8gb version and the 1070 is just an animal I don't think there's point in picking anything older up

• Advertisement

Rx 480 at the end of the or a GTX 1070 right now. Given the 480 is AMDs best value card once it's less than €350 for the 8gb version and the 1070 is just an animal I don't think there's point in picking anything older up

So the GTX 1070 would set me up for a few years yeah?

At 1080p or 1440p yeah.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_1070_review,13.html

Bunch of benchmarks here. All at max settings, so if GTAV max hits 150fps I'd say it'll be a while before you've to play anything at medium 60.

This is all educated guesswork as obviously I've no idea how game requirements are going to change in future but it's a safe enough bet that unless you need max settings and over 60fps, the 1070 will last you a long while at AAA games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Hehe PC bug is a worse than drugs!

Pretty much all the cards won't be shipped until the end of the month. BE CAREFUL with the GPU height in that case!

Hello again! So there was a problem with that corsair case, as in the guy took my money on amazon but never posted it while he marked it as dispatched. Got in contact an him, got my money back.

So after all that hassle and mindfactory only sending all the other parts yesterday via ups which I most likely will not be around to sign for for the next 7 days, I see trouble ahead with this.

So, where, in Dublin can I get another case that will fit everything in nicely, anyone know?

I saw someone on another thread recommend this case https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B00BTQD40W?pc_redir=T1&tag=pcp05-21 but they don't post to Ireland, and it looks a little big to put under TV.
    The one recommended above, the corsair one, is in Maplin, but I don't really want to give them my money, they over charge.

Any help would be tops, thanks!

Checked Adverts?

• Advertisement

Nope, I'm buying from a store or online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Nope, I'm buying from a store or online.

There is a small shop that sells parts out in dun laoghaire, but from looking in the window it is probably over priced as well similar to maplin. Do pcworld have any cases?

Lu Tze wrote: »
    There is a small shop that sells parts out in dun laoghaire, but from looking in the window it is probably over priced as well similar to maplin. Do pcworld have any cases?

They might do, I'll have a check.

I did see this one that is compatible with everything I'm gonna put in in maplin, and not expensive, but I'm wondering if there is a reason for the cheaper price http://www.maplin.ie/p/corsair-carbide-series-88r-microatx-mid-tower-case-a11uu hmm...

They might do, I'll have a check.

I did see this one that is compatible with everything I'm gonna put in in maplin, and not expensive, but I'm wondering if there is a reason for the cheaper price http://www.maplin.ie/p/corsair-carbide-series-88r-microatx-mid-tower-case-a11uu hmm...

It's web-only, but a good price otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Maplins cases aren't actually as criminal as some of their other stuff. Depends on the case but some of the Corsair ones that would be €40/€65 online were €65/85 in Maplin last time I checked. Not really robbery considering you can walk in and buy it there and then.

Eh, having a panic here guys! Got all the bits, only getting round to it the past few days. So I put it all together, turned it on on Saturday and it was working.

Turned in on just now to get stuck into it and as I was just adjusting the screen size (which is a massive pain in the hole on Windows 10 and on the GTX 1070 for some reason) I heard a crackle, looked at the case and a bit of smoke was coming out the back, panicked, pulled the plug, opened the case and there was smoke inside too. No idea if it was the psu or mobo or (god forbid) CPU. Gonna let it cool down for a few mins and take it all out.

The psu wouldn't work for me on Saturday so I had a look online, nearly everyone recommended the paperclip method, so I did that and sure enough the psu started up. Now I'm thinking I shouldn't have done that. Starting to have buyers regret here lads. Expensive smoke machine :(

WTH is the "paperclip method"? :confused:

Just sounds like you got a bad PSU and/or it's shorting somewhere (e.g. errant screw).
    Contact the seller for a replacement.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    WTH is the "paperclip method"? :confused:

Just sounds like you got a bad PSU and/or it's shorting somewhere (e.g. errant screw).
    Contact the seller for a replacement.

This is the paperclip thing.

http://youtu.be/tqPTD6LXQsg

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Hmm...if the PSU is working then I suggest unplugging the GPU and see if the PC turns on fine. If it doesn't, you should hear some beeps from your mobo.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭finlaycm

Ouch, any update?

I'm not a complete expert but, in my experience it's probably the PSU. Dunno what else could actually cause smoke. Rip it out and get it replaced. Any chance you changed the voltage to 115V on the back, I know I did that before and it ended in disaster.

• Advertisement

finlaycm wrote: »
    Ouch, any update?

I'm not a complete expert but, in my experience it's probably the PSU. Dunno what else could actually cause smoke. Rip it out and get it replaced. Any chance you changed the voltage to 115V on the back, I know I did that before and it ended in disaster.

No, didn't change anything like that. Just connected it is all.
    Was onto the seller, posting it back for a replacement, so that another 2 or so weeks wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭thegreenbean

No, didn't change anything like that. Just connected it is all.
    Was onto the seller, posting it back for a replacement, so that another 2 or so weeks wait.

Bummer dude. Goodluck with the build.

Well, I got the new PSU and everything is running amazingly, it's a beast of a PC, thanks guys for all your help in putting it together with me.

I am going to get a PCI card at lunch, but I'm not sure which one to go with. Using that pcpicker site, it recommended this http://www.maplin.ie/p/tp-link-single-band-n300-pci-express-wireless-adapter-n23nf seems good. What y'all think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

We tend to recommend homeplugs: http://www.maplin.ie/p/tp-link-tl-pa4010pkit-av500-powerline-kit-n68qt
    Though amazon would probably have a better price than maplins.

Wireless card should work fine in anycase though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Xenoronin wrote: »
    We tend to recommend homeplugs: http://www.maplin.ie/p/tp-link-tl-pa4010pkit-av500-powerline-kit-n68qt
    Though amazon would probably have a better price than maplins.

Wireless card should work fine in anycase though.

cheaper homeplugs if the pass through is not required
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5742734/Trail/searchtext%3EPOWERLINE.htm

Advertisement