Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horror games

Options
  • 15-06-2016 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭

So having read the Resident evil 7 thread, aul Johnny reminded me of the existence of PT, and having never player it I'm wondering if its still possible to obtain/play?

Knowing Konami lately, i predict no :(

Anyway i decided to start a new thread to discuss and or bring to light/recommend any good horror games of recent years.

I'm hungry for a good horror game you see, i havent played many over the last decade having being let down by the resident evil series since resi 4 and favoured multi player games since.

Although i have played the from software games, DS1,2,3, bloodborne etc

Anybody know any good horror games worth playing? I have a Ps4, WiiU and PC.

Edit: ohhhh i havent played silent hill series, bar a demo back in the PSX days, any of these still knocking about anywhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

It's possible to obtain PT but it's a very convoluted process

I highly recommend checking out The Evil Within as a very easy to find and very fun recent-ish horror game

Until Dawn is a bit of fun too, it's very much in the style of crappy slasher/killer in the woods type films

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

If you had downloaded PT you can get it, if not then you can't.

Outlast, Amnesia, Dead Space come to mind after checking my Steam

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I found Evil Within so bad I had to stop playing it. Wouldn't recommend it at all.

Until Dawn is fun but very much B-movie fare. It's really badly done with just a load of crappy jump scares and even crappier plot twists... but that's kind of what B-movies are about. Worth it if you can get it cheap.

The best horror game I've played recently was Soma. Excellent game and a wonderful piece of hard sci-fi mixed with horror. It's got a cracker of an ending as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Fear ( first one is good)
    Dead Space

My fave.

Alien Isolation. Headphones in, Dark room, amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Alien Isolation is really good if you're an Alien fan. If not.. it's just ok.

Outlast is also ok.

Amnesia is really well done. Quite scary for first playthrough I found.

The Black Mirror has incredibly good creepy atmosphere that just builds and builds.

The Cat Lady is interesting psychological horror I can recommend. Unique in that it makes one feel vulnerable and immune, in control and powerless at the same time. Cool stuff.

Penumbra is a classic. Isolation horror at its best. Y'know... with stuff to actually do other than just walk around a 3D modelling portfolio.

Saya No Uta... handle with care. Quite disturbing. Multiple endings VN. I felt a little bit sick during and after it. Awesome! (might need Japanese Locale to fix the text on windows. Equivalent fix on mac/linux).

Harvester. The king of messed up horror games. Abandon all sanity from here on in. Gameplay is a little dated at this point. Nothing a compact reference guide on the side won't help with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

F.E.A.R was a very good FPS. The gunplay was very satisfying and at the time it boasted very good graphical effects even if the environments were bland and repetitive as hell. Horror wise its inspired by the likes of The Ring but it really relies on jump scares. Nothing however is as horrifying as the god awful character that is Norton Mapes, up there with Jar Jar Binks.

Dead Space is pretty good game overall. Pretty cool and unique UI. The horror element is quite strong for the opening few hours until you get use to dealing with the Necromorphs.

Resident Evil series. To be honest going back to these games even the ones I enjoy I find the horror element utterly tame. These games can do tension though. The best of the early games are Resident Evil Remake, Resident Evil 2, and Resident Evil: Code Veronica X. Nemesis is more action orientated but getting chased by the Nemesis is pretty damn tense. I liked Zero as well but the character swapping system is cumbersome and it really saps the pace of the game.

Amnesia: The Dark Decent
    Play a bit of this and it is pretty scary. Impressive opening hour or so where the scares are all implied rather than seen. Your pretty much defenceless throughout the game and need to hide to survive. From the reading the reviews of this this, its apparent they can't keep up the horror element and its an issue the developers have said is an issue with horror games in general how to keep up the element of horror without players getting use to it.

Soma
    Was made by the same developers as Amnesia. Its not meant to be quite as good as Amnesia and requires a fair bit of patience regarding A.I patrol patterns but overall is still meant to be quite good.

Alien Isolation.
    This is meant to be great and very faithful to the Alien movie. Heard complaints its overlong though, a lot of the middle section could of been pruned and on higher difficulty levels it can feel a bit unfair. But hiding from the Alien who can adapt to your methods is suppose to be an extremely tense affair.

The Evil Within
    I really liked this, its like a rerun of Shinji Mikami's greatest hits. Its a really solid third person shooter but in terms of actual horror elements its pretty light on scares, with one or two brief exceptions. It relies more on blood and gore and grotesque monsters to be unsettling but it doesn't really succeed on that count. Its a lot like the old style Resident Evil in that the tension comes from being low on ammo and having to scavenge for bullets and health and never knowing when your going get jumped by monsters. Storyline wise its pretty B-Grade but it starts getting really interesting with the excellent DLC packs the Assignment and the Consequence which are both great, really enhance the story and change up the gameplay as well as being more scary than the main game.

Silent Hill 2
    Apparently the best of the Silent Hill games. Never played any. Its quite old, so I don't know if it holds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Good list of horror games that are currently out or are coming out.

PS4
    Until Dawn
    SOMA
    The Last of Us
    Kholat
    Daylight
    Resident Evil 7

Cross Console
    The Park
    Outlast
    Alien: Isolation
    Among the Sleep
    Dead Island 2
    Dying Light
    The Evil Within
    Layers of Fear

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thought Layers of Fear was awful. Nothing but lazy jump scares that come with such frequency that they are more boring than scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Keep em comin! I should add I'm not too keen on the passive horrors like alien isolation, and im a big aliens fan. Maybe i just didnt play it long enough but the idea of constantly hiding just seems too boring to me :(

I need to be fighting back! :pac:

The evil within to me looks like OTT gore, lacking a good story? as in interaction with other characters..

I never played dead space, but fear it might be dated?

I enjoyed the first FEAR, bit short but enjoyable, again i fear thats dated also :(

EDIT: dated graphics wise i mean

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

nix wrote: »
    The evil within to me looks like OTT gore, lacking a good story? as in interaction with other characters..

It has a pretty decent story, think like Resident Evil but a bit more psychological.

I didnt think it relied on gore too heavily, it's proper survival horror and achieves a lot of its scariness from feeling vulnerable. There's a great sense of picking your fights yknow? Like you can fight back but you dont want to bite off more than you can chew

• Advertisement

Alien Isolation, Soma and Amnesia are all in the passive horror category.

Sieghardt is accurate in his assement of The Evil Within. I'll add that the combat feels weighty and satisfying. I'll also liked the upgrade system. Having said that I found the story pretty so so in the base campaign, but I think the DLC packs really fleshed it out and left me genuinely interested in seeing how it progresses if it ever gets a sequel.

Was a few years back when I played Dead Space. So its hard to tell. It does look to have aged some what graphically. Gameplay should hold up fine though. If your playing on PC, I'd recommend using a gamepad by the way, the mouse controls have far to much of a null zone when V-Sync is enabled and turning off V-Sync breaks the QTE if I recall correctly.

F.E.A.R's gameplay should hold up. The game was praised for advanced A.I. so in terms of gameplay will probably hold very well if you can get over the graphics from 2005.

I forgot about Doom III

It got flak for not being a Doom game in terms of speed and enemy numbers but was a technical marvel at the time but looks fairly so so now. It was pretty scary at the time but to achieve that it relied on darkness and shadows and a high number of cheap jump scares with little nooks and crannies that exist solely for monsters to jump out from and ambushes from walls collapsing as you go by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Yeah, The Evil Within is one I absolutely adore, but it's a very love-it-or-hate-it experience. As someone who loved the original Resident Evil and Silent Hill games, it hit a sweet spot for me, because it felt like the type of survival horror I've not played in ages, have a safe room where you could save, scraping by with very little health, but there's some pretty good weaponry available so you don't feel completely vulnerable, and there is some amazing boss encounters. Also, I really love the way you need to burn the bodies:

7YcesZh.gif

Nice, is there an edition of the game that comes with the DLC? I might check it out. I've kinda ran out of console games to play in between overwatch sessions.

I'm kinda kicking myself now that i didnt pick it up when it was dirt cheap in argos not too long ago, now its not even on the site :(

I really loved the old resi evil games, RE1-RE:CV. I hated the change RE4 brought :mad:

EDIT: only €15 in CEX, it'd be rude not too

I hated the change RE4 brought :mad:

Actually, I do hear Evil Within compared to RE4, though I've not yet played 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,845 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

So having read the Resident evil 7 thread, aul Johnny reminded me of the existence of PT, and having never player it I'm wondering if its still possible to obtain/play?

Knowing Konami lately, i predict no :(

Anyway i decided to start a new thread to discuss and or bring to light/recommend any good horror games of recent years.

I'm hungry for a good horror game you see, i havent played many over the last decade having being let down by the resident evil series since resi 4 and favoured multi player games since.

Although i have played the from software games, DS1,2,3, bloodborne etc

Anybody know any good horror games worth playing? I have a Ps4, WiiU and PC.

Edit: ohhhh i havent played silent hill series, bar a demo back in the PSX days, any of these still knocking about anywhere?

The last horror game I played was some Japanese thing where you had a camera and were wandering around an old house and woods.

It was pretty good as far as I remember.

Edit: It was Fatal Frame Crimson Butterfly on the Xbox.

EDIT: only €15 in CEX, it'd be rude not too

Oh! If you have a decent PC, it's gone for €8.99 on Steam previously, and there'll be a Steam sale next week. ;)

Links234 wrote: »
    Oh! If you have a decent PC, it's gone for €8.99 on Steam previously, and there'll be a Steam sale next week. ;)

Yeah my friend just sent me a link, game + season pass for $9.79 :(

I really wanted it on the Ps4, does the DLC add much to the game? is it long?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    The last horror game I played was some Japanese thing where you had a camera and were wandering around an old house and woods.

It was pretty good as far as I remember.

Edit: It was Fatal Frame Crimson Butterfly on the Xbox.

Yeah i remember seeing it awhile back when i first got my WiiU, and forgot the name till i skimmed the wiiu games earlier and found it. Took me a bit as its called something else in other countries. Looking at a youtube vid, it didnt look like my cup of tea, again too passive. :(

does the DLC add much to the game? is it long?

I've not yet played the DLC, but as far as I know there's a good few hours in them, The Assignment and The Consequence are two parts of a new story, and The Executioner you get to play as one of the boss characters from the main game and it's meant to be very different.

The Executioner got reviewed poorly, its not a story based DLC pack but I think something more along the lines of an arcade style get the high score arena mode. I do highly recommend the other 2 DLC campaigns, you should get 8-10 hours out of them combined, more if you want to do new game plus or the pitch dark mode.

I think The Evil Within is what Resident Evil fans want from future RE games but with a higher emphasis on puzzle solving as well.

As for Resident Evil 4, its arguable the finest 3rd person shooter ever made in terms of gameplay. Its opening village sequence is one of gaming's most tense game play moments. The story is not going to be winning any Oscars but you will finding yourself grinning at how cheesy it all is. I can see why its disliked at the same time, it moved away from static camera pre-rendered environments of the old games and had greater emphasis on combat although ammo still had to be conserved. While you could call it a survival third person shooter you would struggle to call it survival horror, there is little horror in at all although it has one or two moments like fighting the Regenerators.

Completely forgot about the STALKER series.

The first game Shadow of Chernobyl was excellent but very rough around the edges in terms of technical polish and presentation. But its very atmospheric. The Lab X-18 section was genuinely scary, and I don't say that too often about a video game.

The A.I in the game was very impressive. Was also quite a challenging game, particular at the start when your guns are rubbish.

Its prequel Clear Sky was meant to be quite disappointing but its sequel Call of Pripyat is equally highly regarded and its apparently a much more polished affair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Links234 wrote: »
    I've not yet played the DLC, but as far as I know there's a good few hours in them, The Assignment and The Consequence are two parts of a new story, and The Executioner you get to play as one of the boss characters from the main game and it's meant to be very different.

The Assignment and the consequence help you to be able to understand the main story which was a complete head scratcher at the end. Only a read of the plot synopsis on wikipedia when I finished helped me to understand what had actually gone on. I enjoyed the Evil Within but it can be quite frustrating at times and at the end of the day, it really isn't any more than some set pieces strung together by a very flimsy storyline.

The Executioner is one of the worst DLCs I ever played. Absolutely terrible. The other two were great. They are stealth based so you mightn't be a big fan of them if you didn't like Alien Isolation.

It's a pity that PS4 isn't backward compatible because Siren: Blood Curse on PS Plus for PS3 at the moment is one of the best horror games out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

If you want good modern horror game then dead space 1 and dead space 2. You will hear moaning about how bad dead space 2 is, but trust me, it's still great horror game amd connects nicely with first game. 3Rd game never existed. Don't even Google it. I mean it.
    Resident evil revelations and revelations 2 are actually decent horror games. They got back to old school Re formula. And if that's not enough resident evil zero an resident evil 1 got a HD remake.
    Silent hill 2 and 3. I am yet to finish them... I am too chicken **** for them. Someday I will sit my misses next to me and I'll do it. :)

F*cking Outlast.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭venomousfrog

For me it was the following :

Dead Space 1,2 & 3 ( just went back and started 1 again )
    Alien Isolation ( loved it, its a long game but worth it )
    Layers of Fear ( cool arcade type game )
    PT ( Pity they didn't release this, great demo )

Azza wrote: »
    Completely forgot about the STALKER series.

The first game Shadow of Chernobyl was excellent but very rough around the edges in terms of technical polish and presentation. But its very atmospheric. The Lab X-18 section was genuinely scary, and I don't say that too often about a video game.

The A.I in the game was very impressive. Was also quite a challenging game, particular at the start when your guns are rubbish.

Its prequel Clear Sky wasn't to be quite disappointing but its sequel Call of Pripyat is equally highly regarded and its apparently a much more polished affair.

This.

The Stalker games are fantastic and pant wettingly scary.

For me it was the following :

Dead Space 1,2 & 3 ( just went back and started 1 again )
    Alien Isolation ( loved it, its a long game but worth it )
    Layers of Fear ( cool arcade type game )
    PT ( Pity they didn't release this, great demo )

Is the upcoming game with Kojima and Remus not going to be essentially the full version of PT?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I enjoyed the first FEAR, bit short but enjoyable, again i fear thats dated also :(

EDIT: dated graphics wise i mean

Graphics wise it's still pretty sharp. One of the fewer games where your body is rendered even in first person, shadows and all.

ltyeey.gif

tzzmvi.gif

Lots of props with their own physics, decent gore. Jump kicking through a window at some guy's head while firing dual pistols in slow motion, seeing all the shards of glass, computer parts, papers etc fly through the air. Pretty damn graphically impressive. And still delivers on the horror. :D

I'd avoid The Evil Within if I were you. It's not scary, disturbing or interesting. Crappy corridor shooting and booh haunted house with edgy plot. I played it for free on a friend's steam shared library. Got about 75% through and just gave up. Not worth it for free let alone money.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭venomousfrog

Is the upcoming game with Kojima and Remus not going to be essentially the full version of PT?

It was my understanding that they pulled this from development. However the new game with Norman Reedus and Kojima (Death Stranding) looks like a standalone game, but, I could be wrong. :P

It was my understanding that they pulled this from development. However the new game with Norman Reedus and Kojima (Death Stranding) looks like a standalone game, but, I could be wrong. :P

Oh yea, standalone, because I'm assuming that Konami retains all the rights to the Silent Hill franchise, of which PT was meant to be a part of, but hopefully it'll give us a glimpse of what is to be expected.

• Advertisement

Probably not. PT was a separate project from Silent Hills made with very little involvement from kojima and was mostly the work of a few Kojima Productions staff goofing around with the fox engine in their free time.

I don't know how you could stretch PT out to be a full game anyway. it only really worked because it was the perfect length as is.

Advertisement