Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭hargo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Comerman

One of the first attempts in the new koda 16 using ooni's cold ferment dough BUT There was a "gumline" that ruined it. Is the gumline caused by too wet a sauce or what? Any advice appreciated 👍

Do you mean bu gumline not cooked at the inner crust? Could be just too many ingredients not allowing it to cook out. The dough may have been too cold. A high Hydration dough will produce a light airy crust. I can't recommend Vito poolish dough enough.

https://youtu.be/u7Hd6ZzKgBM

Dough was at room temperature for around 5 hours, I'd reckon it's too many ingredients and too much sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Could be that the base was too heavy/thick as well, what weight were you dough balls?

In all cases, there's very little wrong with turning off the flame (or turning it down extremely low) and letting it cook for another few minutes.

• Advertisement

I think my balls were around 250g 😄 almost certain it was too many toppings

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭budgemook

Hi, I know there has been chat about this but I just have a specific question. I am going to buy a gas burner for my Ooni Karu 12 - I just want less hassle on pizza night. My question is about the regulator - do I need to buy the Ooni one or can I just use the one I have for my camping stove? It's a standard orange pipe with clips that tighten with a screw and a regulator for campingaz gas. I am considering getting a regulator for patio gas as the campingaz is expensive but I suppose the same question would apply. Thanks in advance.

the Karu gas attachment comes with a regulator fitted and it fits the Patio gas cylinder

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

Anyone ever try to make their own??

looks good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anyone got a good recipe for a same day pizza dough? I usually use the Vito Iacopelli one with poolish but would like to make a pizza tonight

The Karu gas burner arrived the other day so I tried it out this weekend. Like a fool I thought I had to buy the regulator separate so I have two regulators now :|

I found the gas to be far more convenient than trying to maintain a small wood fire at the back of the oven but it certainly has some downsides. I found that the toppings were cooking quicker than the crust so it's harder to get that nice crispy crust. I guess it's because the crust gets cooked beside the fire when using wood and the toppings from the heat above where it's both getting cooked from the heat above with gas. Not sure, it might be just getting used to it.

Any tips on getting best results using gas?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Try turning the gas down to its lowest setting just after you've launched the pizza. It gives a more even cook for both base and toppings overall imo

Yeah I'll try that - but I suppose this means the pizza will take a few minutes to cook?

yes it does take longer, Ive never timed it but its approx 3 minutes total cooking time at a guess. But doing it that way means the base is sitting on the hot stone longer crisping up while the toppings and cheese are cooking at a slower rate and take much longer to burn with the gas flame turned down to its lowest setting. Another advantage of the gas being on low is you can throw on some basil leaves for the last 15-20 seconds and they wont shrivel up and burn almost instantly like they do when the gas is at its full flame and raging hot.

I know there is this thing in pizza folklore with the 90 second Neapolitan pizza done at 500c but in my experience with the Ooni turning the heat down upon launch means both elements of the base and the toppings come to being completed at the same time without one burning before the other is done. Like cooking Neapolitan pizzas in 90 seconds is possible in one of those giant brick ovens you see in pizza restaurants but with the Ooni yes you can cook something in 90 seconds but its unlikely that both toppings and base will be done to a satisfactory doneness, the toppings like pepperoni will be burning and the cheese will be like molten lava while the base wont be crisp enough. So give it a try with a low flame and let us know how you found it.

Cheers - I will do this. I am planning on doing a more New York style for a while anyway.

I get what you're saying, but I found with a good hot fire in the back of the oven the base and toppings cooked evenly in even less that 90 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Try leaving the gas on full tilt for a while longer before you launch your pizza then lowering. In my experience the reason the base tends not to cook is it genuinely needs heat from below (the stone) so if possible get the middle of your stone to 430 - 440 and see how that goes. Also leave a few mins on full between pizzas for the stone to recover.

If it gets too hot the flour and or semolina and base may burn so there’s a little trial and error, especially if you don’t have an infrared thermometer handy.

Are people mixing by hand or using a stand mixer?

I'm gradually improving using the Vito Iacopelli next level dough recipe with poolish but still find it a bit messy.

I've tried both stand mixer and doing it by hand - I thought the stand mixer would make less of a mess but the dough still seems quite sticky once I'm finished in the mixer so I end up still working it by hand a bit.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong with the mixer, or maybe I should just stick to doing the whole thing by hand?

• Advertisement

I make the same recipe and use a stand mixer. But yes it is a messy, sticky dough becasue it is 70% water. I dont pour all the water into the stand mixer in one go, I hold back 100ml of the 400ml and add it gradually. Even then though it can turn into a load of gloop, I think it is to do with the relative humidity in your house which effects how much water the flour can absorb. So the same brand of flour could behave differently in summer than it does in winter when we get a lot of moisture in the air. So with that in mind sometimes Ive gone to just 67% or 68% hydration and not used every single drop of the 400ml water as I know from looking at it that adding all the water will result in an unworkable dough that then needs more flour to fix it.

Even in perfect conditions 70% hydration dough is tricky to work with. Covering your hands in oil does help though and the slapping technique he shows helps get the dough smooth. Another trick is if the dough is not smooth enough to cover it in cling film and let it relax for 45 minutes and it will get smoother. Have no ideas why that works but it works very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

20% off Gozney Roccbox for black friday

What's in the box

• Portable stone floored oven
    • Professional grade pizza peel (worth €79)
    • Detachable gas burner
    • Bottle opener
    • Manual

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Speaking of gozney. I have a real hankering to treat myself to one of their dome ovens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

They look great but not sure what the delay is - they've been "coming soon" for about 2.5 years now, not sure if they were ever on sale

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Thud

They were on sale in the UK and US and then they rolled out Canada. Seems like the EU is either not a priority or too difficult from an export point

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

20% off Ooni ovens for Black Friday starts Nov 21st but use this code for early access - VIPizza7WZGSMM5 (i'm assuming that's not a one time code but it might be)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bamayang

Lads were losing our mind here making bad dough after bad dough. Can’t seem to be able stretch it at all without tearing. And when we do cook, we get a layer of uncooked pizza in the middle of the crust, which to me says we’re not stretching it enough.

is there anyone here with the most foolproof of dough recipes? It’s starting to become a strain on our lives at this stage!!

I add wheat gluten to my dough and it really helps with stretching etc which allows me to leave a very thin base

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

check your yeast if its not dead!

i follow the pizza app mix of ingredients and proving. Few tips.

Mix everything and let it rest for 30 mins

knead for 15 mins let it rest again…

Fold(not knead) after window test passes

Advertisement