Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC Fight Night: MacDonald vs Thompson

Options
  • 12-06-2016 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

76f46be5f87336e5d10809358f2badfe.png

Date: Saturday 18th June
    Times: Fight Pass Prelims (11:45pm, Fight Pass), Prelims (1:30am, Fight Pass & BT Sport 2), Main Card (3:30am, Fight Pass & BT Sport 2)
    Venue: Ottawa, Canada
    Odds: MacDonald (11/10) vs Thompson (11/12)

Note: This event will mark the promotion's inaugural fight in the women's flyweight division as former UFC Women's Strawweight Championship challenger Valérie Létourneau will face Joanne Calderwood. Despite that, a formal introduction of the division has not yet been made since promotion officials are still determining whether or not to permanently add the division (Wiki).

How will the main event be decided? 40 votes

MacDonald by KO/TKO
    0%
    MacDonald by Submission
    30%
    CarrollersmilerfaarondocshocksyUseful.Idiotdaniels.ducksAndy Magic[Deleted User]jousting with chairsSaipanneSubcomandante MarcosAll Americans Sound Camp 12 votes
    MacDonald by Decision
    7%
    callaway92Deppclever user name 3 votes
    Thompson by KO/TKO
    30%
    mdwexfordKJxtal191killwill[Deleted User]Zero-CoolMr. Managershrewdnessmartyos121John_D80adcakeslougal88 12 votes
    Thompson by Submission
    32%
    slicus ricuspadzerHokipudzey101EuskalHerriaJoe MusashimartinbeASOTdarcedakelly02TimRigginsYerMasYerDahis holiness captain caveman 13 votes
    Thompson by Decision
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I tried to post a poll and selected the option but it didn't bring me to the post poll screen. :(

Can a moderator do the honours please?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Dont rate Calderwood at all Valerie will absolutely merk her she gave Joanna a serious rattle in Australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Paully D wrote: »
    I tried to post a poll and selected the option but it didn't bring me to the post poll screen. :(

yeah yeah BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PAULLY BBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I would thought after taking a few weeks off you would have came back full pelt instead you give us this half arsed event thread. I take back everything I've said about you in the past! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Heading over to Ottawa for this , hoping for a good card - the main event shouldn't disappoint anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Thompson by KO/TKO
    Definitely not a card I'll wait up for, other than the main and co-main, there's just not much to it.

I'm a bit surprised Wonderboy is the favourite though, he's the better striker without a doubt but Rory could wrestle his way to a decision and after all the damage he took in his last fight I don't think he'll be as willing to stand and trade anymore. Wars like that have changed fighters in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

martyos121 wrote: »
    Definitely not a card I'll wait up for, other than the main and co-main, there's just not much to it.

3:30am for the main card will be a tough stint.

The main event is possibly the fight of the year id stay up and watch that alone at 5am.

Thompson by KO/TKO
    I'd usually wait up for any card as anyone would see from the event threads but there's just no way I'll suffer through this one.

For that reason alone, it'll probably be the event of the year. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Thompson by KO/TKO
    I'm baffled Rory isn't a strong fav for this fight.

Wonderboy is amazing to watch and a huge talent but the only top guy he's beaten was Hendricks who hasn't been at his best in quite a while.

Rory is a genuine top notch well rounded fighter who would be champion now if his nose hadn't given up on him vs Lawler.

I'd make Rory about a 2/5 shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Gonna be very interesting to see how Rory has recovered since that war with Robbie. Definitely not a card I'll be staying up for though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

mdwexford wrote: »
    I'm baffled Rory isn't a strong fav for this fight.

Wonderboy is amazing to watch and a huge talent but the only top guy he's beaten was Hendricks who hasn't been at his best in quite a while.

Rory is a genuine top notch well rounded fighter who would be champion now if his nose hadn't given up on him vs Lawler.

I'd make Rory about a 2/5 shot.

His nose didn't "give up on him" ffs. There was another guy, tough as both iron and old boots, inside the cage with him punching him in the face to make it give in. Rory had chances and couldn't put him away.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,154 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

His nose didn't "give up on him" ffs. There was another guy, tough as both iron and old boots, inside the cage with him punching him in the face to make it give in. Rory had chances and couldn't put him away.
    Nobody suggested his nose spontaneously exploded on it's own accord.
    He's pointing out that Rory was winning the fight, had he made it to the end of the round he's be the current WW champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Thompson by Submission
    I love Rory but I think Wonderboy is on a different level to most WW's in the striking department and has excellent defensive wrestling to go along with it. Dangerous with kicks and an excellent left hand. Think it'll be a late TKO.

Wonderboy is an outstanding striker but I think people are underestimating Rory's boxing,he is clinical in his boxing and muay thai especially with elbows everyone thinks he's going to grapple Wonderboy but I think he will surprise a few people and go toe to toe with him to test himself,wonderboy train gets derailed here,

Worth noting Rory is fighting for his future here as its the last fight on his contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

hard to call this one, really like both guys would like to see Wonderboy progress for a title shot or eliminator.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Worth noting Rory is fighting for his future here as its the last fight on his contract.
    I can't imagine an outcome where his contract isn't renewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

MacDonald by Submission
    Was he not saying something along the lines of he would only negotiate a new UFC contract if he got the terms he wanted, which would probably hinge on the result of this fight? He wouldn't have as much negotiation power if he lost again. He would go to Bellator if they were offering the money he needs probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Thompson by Submission
    This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Paully D wrote: »

Poll added.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

MacDonald by Decision
    going with my heart and not my head here, definitely think rory has the advantage on the ground and as long as hes not two depleted by the lawlor fight still i think hes tough and skilled enough to stand with wonderboy till he can get it to the mat and get the sub

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

wow, UFC have decided to run the new California weigh in system for this weekends card! Seems like a smart move and healthier for the fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

MacDonald by Submission
    I'm thinking Rory will get inside the pocket without getting rocked, take Wonderboy down, smother him and perhaps finish him with a G&P TKO. Rory's camps are always very methodical so he'll know how to get around Wonderboy's striking. Think he's training with some high level karate guys with similar stances.

Also I can't imagine Rory being the kind of fighter who would've been negatively affected by a war like his last fight. If anything it would make him hungrier to prove himself. He has the will of a champion.

Wonderboy keeps his hands down by his side,I can see him getting ko'd with that approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

MacDonald by Submission
    Apparently Rory has been sparring with a few people like Michael Vemom Page, a WKU kickboxing world champion and some sports karate guy a lot for this camp to get used to the weird movement and blitzing.

Been training with Raymond Daniels the flashiest kicker in combat who has beaten Wonderboy in chuck norris's kickboxing tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

I want wonderboy to win this one so he gets a crack at the belt. Big fan of Rory too but i guess its time we had some new contenders up there. I believe the only reason Tyron Woodley is getting a title shot ( despite not fighting for soo long) is because there isnt any noteworthy opponents in the top 5 that Robbie havent beat. Damian Maia is an awesome fighter but i think UFC isnt pushing him enough. Would be great to see him go against Robbie next

jmx009 wrote: »
    I want wonderboy to win this one so he gets a crack at the belt. Big fan of Rory too but i guess its time we had some new contenders up there. I believe the only reason Tyron Woodley is getting a title shot ( despite not fighting for soo long) is because there isnt any noteworthy opponents in the top 5 that Robbie havent beat. Damian Maia is an awesome fighter but i think UFC isnt pushing him enough. Would be great to see him go against Robbie next
    Maia needs to beat a top 5 guy then the shot is his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

MacDonald by Submission
    Mellor wrote: »
    Maia needs to beat a top 5 guy then the shot is his.

In fairness he has funked up everyone the UFC has thrown at him.

Thompson by KO/TKO
    It's going to be hard to find him a fight next. Rest of the top 5 are tied up including the champ. Condit is linked with fighting Nick Diaz next, but he may retire instead if past comments are anything to go by. Hendricks and Gastelum are fighting each other in a few weeks. He's already beaten the next five guys down the rankings (Magny, Brown, Kim, Story, Nelson). That leaves Tarec Saffiedine and Thiago Alves as the highest ranked guys he could face anytime soon.

Looks like it could be a long layoff for him in that case. If Woodley of all people gets a title shot, Maia 101% deserves one next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

MacDonald by Decision
    wouldnt mind seeing maia face off against diaz now you mention him!

Advertisement