Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultan Dillane a potential Paul O'Connell for Ireland?

Options
  • 11-06-2016 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Seeing Dillane's outstanding performance for both Connacht(I'm a munster fan btw, but have been watching Ultan) and Ireland and also hearing other people's opinions, do you think he has the potential to be the next Paul O'Connell for Ireland? Sad he isn't playing for munster, he would probably be the next Paul o connell for them too. Although CJ Stander has an excellent performance record also so Munster seems to be covered.

Like, I mean Dillane is a power engine like Stander. They both keep driving through defense lines tackles and also make the best of all gaps they see.

So is Dillane the next Paul O'Connell and if not who else do you think? Stander for both Munster and Ireland. Not trying to compare everyone and definitely not trying to forget the legend that is O'Connell. All opinions welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

It's too early to say for sure how far Dillane can go but, with both him and hopefully James Ryan emerging alongside Henderson in the next couple of years, things are now looking a hell of a lot better for us in the second row than they were a year ago.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Obviously he's a physical beast, and will be more so when he grows into his legs, but how's he technically?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Dillane has a huge ceiling I think, excited to see how high he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭MadDog1999

It's too early to say for sure how far Dillane can go but, with both him and hopefully James Ryan emerging alongside Henderson in the next couple of years, things are now looking a hell of a lot better for us in the second row than they were a year ago.

Ya I suppose. He is only new to the scene for Ireland anyway. Ya I agree. There needs to be more than one person to fill the gap Paul O'Connell left behind. Is that where you were coming from? Ya our second row is definitely much improved now.
    CatFromHue wrote:
    Obviously he's a physical beast, and will be more so when he grows into his legs, but how's he technically?

Technically, we won't know yet really. I think he has used his skills pretty well so far even sadly though that most of his caps were in losing games so far but that is rugby and life. He is second row so when it comes to scoring tries and everything near the back of the field second row isn't the most technical position when it comes to that end of the field, the most technically suited positions there would of course be the backs thinner, more agile and speedy. Well he is still developing as far as I can see so maybe we can come back in maybe next season or a year and we will probably know for sure then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭clsmooth

He's answered every question that's been put to him so far, never looking out of his depth in any situation he's been thrown into over the last 6 months which is impressive given how little professional rugby he's actually played in a position where experience counts a lot. He's been a class act so far.

I reckon he's the real deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

No one needs the pressure of being the next O'Connell, but I saw 4 young Irish locks today who looked absurdly full of potential.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

CatFromHue wrote: »

His skill set is great good in the line out passing and tackling are great and he has a good impact in the Scrum.

He's not a lineout technician yet he doesn't call the line out still needs to learn to read opposition lineouts. In Connacht that was Muldowneys job and will more than likely pass to Browne next season

clsmooth wrote: »
    He's answered every question that's been put to him so far, never looking out of his depth in any situation he's been thrown into over the last 6 months which is impressive given how little professional rugby he's actually played in a position where experience counts a lot. He's been a class act so far.

I reckon he's the real deal.

This is my exact point! Thanks for posting this. I'm definitely not the only one who thinks ultan dillane is as good as I think or should I say I know he is! Maybe I watch him play much too much :rolleyes: This are things I won't be able to get back in my life but sure what harm. Nothing wrong with observing dillane for his performance and his potentials.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Do we have to label every young potential star the "next <insert legendary player in that position> ?? The next BOD, the next POC... how about we just allow them to develop without that pressure. He's the next Ultan Dillane, superstar. Is that good enough?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Zzippy wrote: »
    Do we have to label every young potential star the "next <insert legendary player in that position> ?? The next BOD, the next POC... how about we just allow them to develop without that pressure. He's the next Ultan Dillane, superstar. Is that good enough?

But but but how will we hype someone up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

But but but how will we hype someone up?

Billysaysno looking into rugby career? Any hype?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Zzippy wrote: »

you'll never be the next Awec with that attitude!!

:D

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

Billysaysno looking into rugby career? Any hype?

The next george hook perhaps ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ian Henderson is our next Paul O'Connell.

Ultan Dillane is our next Ian Henderson.

John Madigan is our next Ultan Dillane.

James Ryan is our next John Madigan.

Zzippy wrote:
    Do we have to label every young potential star the "next ?? The next BOD, the next POC... how about we just allow them to develop without that pressure. He's the next Ultan Dillane, superstar. Is that good enough?

Good point I suppose Zzippy. Maybe instead we can use this thread just to discuss about Ultan Dillane and his performances etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Not a bad summary. The first bit is definitely correct. Henderson has been groomed as O'Connell's successor quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

We have riches at second row now and on the way up that are extraordinary. James Ryan is as close to a shoe in as I've seen since Henderson was as close to a shoe in as ...err well you know.
    If only we had such a bonanza in other positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

He's going to be the next Ultan Dillane and we're going to love every minute of it! He's got massive potential and has risen admirably to every challenge put to him so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Treadhead wrote: »
    He's going to be the next Ultan Dillane and we're going to love every minute of it! He's got massive potential and has risen admirably to every challenge put to him so far.

His future won't be confined the the 2nd row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Great to see a Kerry man making some noise. Just need JJ Hanrahan to make his way back now.

• Advertisement

Hagz wrote:
    Great to see a Kerry man making some noise. Just need JJ Hanrahan to make his way back now.

Ya! I am from kerry also so that is why I follow him closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

Cillian Gallagher is your next James Ryan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

What does that make Ross Molony?

Our next Leo Cullen?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mareegoo

MadDog1999 wrote: »
    Seeing Dillane's outstanding performance for both Connacht(I'm a munster fan btw, but have been watching Ultan) and Ireland and also hearing other people's opinions, do you think he has the potential to be the next Paul O'Connell for Ireland? Sad he isn't playing for munster, he would probably be the next Paul o connell for them too. Although CJ Stander has an excellent performance record also so Munster seems to be covered.

Like, I mean Dillane is a power engine like Stander. They both keep driving through defense lines tackles and also make the best of all gaps they see.

So is Dillane the next Paul O'Connell and if not who else do you think? Stander for both Munster and Ireland. Not trying to compare everyone and definitely not trying to forget the legend that is O'Connell. All opinions welcome :)

Yes he is the real deal but he has some BALANCE for a giant - almost sean o brien like going through tackles.

Ryan, madigan etc mentioned

but watch out for Cian Romaine he is bulking up big time hopefully he can kick on great potential

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I didn't really know who he was prior to the 6N. He's a very impressive, young player.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

CatFromHue wrote: »
    you'll never be the next Awec with that attitude!!

:D

Nah. I'd never fit into skinny jeans!

(or be seen dead in them)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I didn't really know who he was prior to the 6N. He's a very impressive, young player.

James Ryan has been on the HagzList for years. We were all warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Toner and Henderson as lock combo for this tour and for the future.

Dillane to integrate over time.

Advertisement