Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build help please

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Just waiting on the cpu to arrive. It's due tomorrow. What are the odds on it coming with thermal paste already applied?

I would hate to have all the parts ready to go minus the thermal paste.

AFAIK, Intel only pre-apply TIM on their coolers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    AFAIK, Intel only pre-apply TIM on their coolers

OK. What brand do you recommend and where can I buy it ?

OK. What brand do you recommend and where can I buy it ?

Literally any TIM works, difference between cheap and expensive brands is <2C

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

It's applied on the cooler, if you have a third party cooler there should have been paste with it.

I'm reusing an old cooler.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I'm reusing an old cooler.

Does it fit?

Does it fit?

It's not something I checked but at the mo I don't see why it wouldn't. I'm transferring the new motherboard into the old case. Thought the cpu would have arrivied today. Hopefully tomorrow.

Old chipset coolers mightn't be compatible with new boards

1st Gen i7 should be fine though.

You will need new paste though

Ok. It turns out the bracket holder part of the coolermaster does not fit. Its out by a few mm. How do I go about buying one to fit my new board? msi h97 gaming 3

Ok. It turns out the bracket holder part of the coolermaster does not fit. Its out by a few mm. How do I go about buying one to fit my new board? msi h97 gaming 3

What's the cooler model name/number?

• Advertisement

What's the cooler model name/number?

I'll find out asap and get back to you. All I know for now is that it's a cooler Master.

This any use

http://ev9pjm.png

^ that's only the fan, doesn't help us find the model of the cooling tower :(

^ that's only the fan, doesn't help us find the model of the cooling tower :(

Ah christ. I won't be able to check till later. As far as I can remember the aluminum part hadue no model number stamped onto it.

Am I right in saying I need to find a cooler based on a lga1150 motherboard

LGA1150 yep

Ok panic over. It turns out the bracket for the cooler was adjustable. The new cpu came with a heatsink and fan anyway. Nearly finish installing Windows etc. Now to wait for these new amd gfx cards to be released

I had my new parts fitted and all was well until my hanns-g monitor packed in. It was 9 years old in fairness. I have ordered a benq RL2255HM 24" 60hz.

Now I just need a new graphics card to complete my build. Considering I'm coming from radeon hd6870 I'm sure the rx480 will be a big jump. I have been reading reviews and I think the rx480 will suit my needs just fine. With technology advancing so fast there will always be the better card just around the corner.

So before I hit the buy button will someone confirm the rx480 is compatible with my new system.

All GPUs are compatible, you just need to worry about the power supply but realistally you'll never need more than 500w for a single card now, unless its something ridiculous.

So yeah a 480 is sound

All GPUs are compatible, you just need to worry about the power supply but realistally you'll never need more than 500w for a single card now, unless its something ridiculous.

So yeah a 480 is sound

Unless you run R9 390/390x

Both will run fine on a 500w PSU?

• Advertisement

I understand now about the AIB cards but I went ahead and ordered the reference card from amazon.

I dont plan on overclocking. I'm shocked at how quite my 550w psu is. I'm not concerned about the difference between he noise levels of the reference and aib cards.

Roll on next week when it will hopefully be all set up.

I installed the rx480 today. I gave gta v a blast and it was amazing. I don't have a clue what most of the in game graphics mean but I put most things up and it was still smooth with no glitches.

Thanks to all for the help and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Unless you run R9 390/390x
    Correction: Unless you run an OCed 390X with an OCed FX-8350, as that draws around 484W with a HDD and SSD.

Advertisement