Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going dairy free

Options
  • 10-06-2016 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

I am attempting to go dairy free due to dairy intolerance and would like some advice. So far I have substitutes for butter and milk (Pure, and Soya/Almond Milk), but I also need to find a substitute for natural yogurt (if there is one) and cheese - particularly cottage cheese.

Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

This is much better suited to Nutrition & Diet than Food & Drink so I've moved it over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Space Dog

You can get soy yoghurts in pretty much any supermarket. Some health shops also have yoghurt made from coconut milk.
    Vegan cheese should also be available in health shops and supermarkets, maybe ask in the Vegan & Vegetarian forum?
    Can't imagine you can buy a dairy-free cottage cheese alternative, I'm sure there are recipes out there to make it yourself though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

As mentioned, soy yogurts and vegan cheese are readily available.

If it's lactose intolerance rather than dairy intolerance (lactose intolerance is far more common and frequently confused with dairy intolerance), Dunnes sell lactose free cheddar for a fairly cheap price.

Haven't found a cottage cheese replacement yet, but I haven't really looked because I hate cottage cheese :o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Dunnes also sell vegan cheese which is completely dairy free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Stheno wrote: »
    Dunnes also sell vegan cheese which is completely dairy free.

Must check my local one, only saw lactose free and I'm sick of trekking around to health food shops :pac: cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Must check my local one, only saw lactose free and I'm sick of trekking around to health food shops :pac: cheers!

It's called Violife iirc, they have four or five different types of cheese in Dunnes in Swords if that's any help for you.

Health shops also have it, but it's less expensive in Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I am also finding dairy products hard to digest, more so cheese, and am at moment trying to find a good alternative for my tea and coffee, trying some in the tea, without any joy

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

goat2 wrote: »
    I am also finding dairy products hard to digest, more so cheese, and am at moment trying to find a good alternative for my tea and coffee, trying some in the tea, without any joy

I find Koko coconut milk the best for a cup of tea. I was diagnosed with dairy intolerence and have been trying to cut it out too. I've managed to be successful with the 'milk' but things like chocolate and cheese are harder to stop eating.

Advertisement