Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stranger Things [Netflix] [*** Spoilers ***]

Options
1414243444547»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Blimey he's already 21 and looking every bit of it. They're surely gonna time jump with the kids now in senior year at high school? Or did season 4 end on a cliffhanger; I can't recall?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

S4 ended with the town being evacuated and the cast standing on a hill looking down at Hawkins with the big cloudy spidery bad guy stuff closing in over it. So it seems unlikely there'll be a time jump. Unless they just say they've been fighting this thing for 3 years now and we all pretend that isn't highly unlikely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Suppose the other option would be the de-age the cast, but there has barely been a single use case of that that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,207 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The second IT did a decent job knocking a few years off the younger cast in some flashback scenes tbf. But over an entire TV series thats a problem.

Its the same problem if you watch The Walking Dead Sophia that Rick left in the forest is comically younger that Sophia in the barn as puberty hit Lintz like a truck in those few months and she had shot up in height. Similarly binge watch a season premiere straight after a season finale and Carl/Chandler Riggs has noticeably aged up each time despite (generally) only a few months passing.

Same happened LOST with Walt suddenly bursting up. Its a hazard of using pre-teens in a series when puberty hits they shatter a timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They've said before that they'll use hair and makeup and other techniques to try and de-age the "kids"

I think the biggest difference between 4 and 5 will be Erica since the rest already had their growth spurts. Though maybe they'll be lucky and she won't grow much.

I think even harder than de-aging the kids will be trying to make Mike and Will relevant.

• Advertisement

Ouch. I dunno if that's gonna work cos Season 4 already felt a stretch in the first place do a couple more years and it might truly be the Steve Buscemi meme writ large. As you say Erica is the most obvious actor who's gonna show her age.

I think the best thing to do is just ignore it. They're unlikely to be in school or anything so what age they are is somewhat irrelevant. Trying too hard to change their appearances will probably just make it more obvious.

I'm thinking of something like Dear Evan Hanson where they tried to make Ben Platt look younger and it had the opposite effect and became all anyone talked about.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,370 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Hopefully there's nothing as jarring as Jesse Plemons in El Camino.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,315 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Season 5 won't arrive till 2025

Stranger Things‘ fifth and final season, which just started production earlier this month, will not debut until 2025, making for a three-year gap between both Seasons 3 and 4 (due to the pandemic) and Seasons 4 and 5. 

Good grief. Not sure I have the will to keep interested in shows I do like but have giant stretches between seasons (no new Foundation til 2026!), not sure I'll have ant enthusiasm to see this end by 2025.

• Advertisement

If the gaps had been deliberately done, like how Happy Valley waited for the little boy to be old enough to do the story they wanted to do, I'd probably be fine with it. It's not their fault, I know, but the fact they're all supposed to be the same age as they were like 10 years ago and the cast mostly being in a lot of different things since, I'm not sure I care anymore either. Doesn't help that the most recent series was a bit hit and miss too. I barely cared about some of them as I was watching it, never mind having to wait 3 or 4 years for the next one.

You'd wonder how hard it even would have been to just age the characters up to match the actors' own age bumps. Though IIRC I think season 4 ended with a fairly immediate series of crises? God I can barely remember now, lord knows what I'll recall in 2025.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,207 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yeah I'm pretty sure it ended with a fairly serious cliffhanger.

The cast de-aging will cost a bloody fortune.

And won't look remotely convincing either. Forget the Upside Down, the Uncanny Valley is the true horror these days.

Advertisement