Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! English 2016 Higher Level Paper 2 - Discussion / aftermath

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Giotar

MomijiHime wrote: »
    Roll away more like!

Hahaha, I meant it a bit sarcastically. I'm dreading it!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

siebey123 wrote: »
    hm did anyone else think that the CC was quite specific? Maybe a little bit too specific? They're usually more broad...

Oh well it's over now! No more poetry, single text, comparative ever again now guys!!! :D

I did think they looked tougher than previous years - literary genre is my favourite though and the second question for that was lovely so thankfully I didn't have to attempt it!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Johno2474

Hey did does anyone know how many pages have to write for 40 mark qs in CC I only wrote about 2 and half for qs 2 (B) is that enough or to short?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CathalRyano

Johno2474 wrote: »
    Hey did does anyone know how many pages have to write for 40 mark qs in CC I only wrote about 2 and half for qs 2 (B) is that enough or to short?

It's grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Wasn't particularly keen on King Lear and CC questions but I got stuff out on them. CC ran out of time on though but did technically answer the question and was on page five. Poets, I hate learning poetry but Dickinson was there and it was a nice enough question. I prefer her poetry just because they're shorter poems and the intense experiences were pretty much in every poem.

Unseen poem look bad at first glance but it was interesting once I got round to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭user53

Books last longer than people? I've no idea I bluffed it as always
    Yeah so did I. I said something like the immortality of books in contrast to mortality of people :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Giotar

user53 wrote: »
    Yeah so did I. I said something like the immortality of books in contrast to mortality of people :D

Yep I did the same. "stories are passed on through generations, whereas people are not". Probably not the best wording but surely they'll see I half-understood it xD

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭siebey123

emersyn wrote: »
    I did think they looked tougher than previous years - literary genre is my favourite though and the second question for that was lovely so thankfully I didn't have to attempt it!
    Lucky! I hope all went well :)

We never covered LG so CC was my only option. It took me at least 3/4 reads to wrap my head around it ngl but the predictable poetry section compensated us all I think ahaha

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Nice to see no-one weeping and wailing after Paper 2! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

Nice to see no-one weeping and wailing after Paper 2! :pac:
    just wait until August :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Edrees98

I'm sooooo happy I don't have to study English ever again !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TooMuchWork

A lovely question on The Great Gatsby. I had to stop myself because I was spending too much time on it, that's how much I liked it!

Durcan question was fairly handy if you had his narrative poetry ready.

CC question was bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭koolis02

What did people mention for the narrative part?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 louisoc

koolis02 wrote: »
    What did people mention for the narrative part?

I did Sport, Father's Day, MacBride Dynasty, and Wife Who Smashed Television. I just spoke about how he used humorous, simple anecdotal narratives to explore complex issues -father/son relationship in Sport, marital dysfunction in Father's Day, the whole Maud Gonne situation in The MacBride Dynasty, and justice system & americanisation of Irish culture for Wife Who Smashed Television.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭lumosteph

Anyone else think the unseen poem was far too easy? My Lear and Bishop question went grand but the cultural context question messed up my whole flow and it definitely might have cost me a grade. Why was it so narrow?¿

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

I can't believe how well that went! :)
    Lear was amazing! I love LG and was delighted it came up although it was slightly restricting with the setting part. Poetry was so predictable except Yeats didn't come up. I must have been the only person who loves and did Eliot! Unseen poem was grand.
    My only regret was that I didn't write more. I had loads in my mind left to write but I filled nearly the whole book.
    At this moment I am in disbelief!!! My hand could literally fall off any second.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 louisoc

lumosteph wrote: »
    Anyone else think the unseen poem was far too easy? My Lear and Bishop question went grand but the cultural context question messed up my whole flow and it definitely might have cost me a grade. Why was it so narrow?¿

I didn't have much to write about re: unseen poem, but it was deep enough I thought. I also had to keep finding new and inventive ways of referencing the poet without using gender-specific pronouns cause I didn't have a breeze whether it was a man or woman hahah

lumosteph wrote: »

That poem was so easy! The first read over it was slightly confusing. I was honestly expecting a harder unseen poem.
    Cultural context was extremely restricting. Part of the reason why I didn't pick it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Bangdiggy

TheOwl12 wrote: »
    24 pages? I never had the intention to get even close to that

24? Wow I had 12

I wouldn't pay much attention to pages, some people have big writing, some small.

Mate of mine in Uni used to go through answerbooks like he had a vendetta against trees, but he had such big sprawly handwriting that in the end he started writing on every second line of them, otherwise one line kept crossing with the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Blanked for majority of quotes unfortunately... what can I expect now? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26 pseudorachel

the poetry was great, that Eliot question was almost identical to the 2010 question.
    i managed the unseen alright as well, but I barely look at it tbh.
    at first the cultural context seemed impossible, the long one definitely did so i did the split and i think it went well.

the lear question didn't go well for me. i did the one with Lear and Gloucester but I couldn't think of a reason why one is more heroic than the other. I said Glouceseter was more heroic because he helped Lear in the storm and he was tortured because of that. I had too much to write and not enough time so I didn't get to go in depth into anything :/ it sucks because usually I like writing lear questions

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Johno2474

the lear question didn't go well for me. i did the one with Lear and Gloucester but I couldn't think of a reason why one is more heroic than the other. I said Glouceseter was more heroic because he helped Lear in the storm and he was tortured because of that. I had too much to write and not enough time so I didn't get to go in depth into anything :/ it sucks because usually I like writing lear questions

I chose and lear and could you say also like how lear is in the process of developing into a heroic figure until the end of play?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭lumosteph

Johno2474 wrote: »
    I chose and lear and could you say also like how lear is in the process of developing into a heroic figure until the end of play?

That's almost exactly what I said!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 acoustic guitar

The Dickinson essay was a lovely title. Had a sample done nearly identical to it. My only problem is that I only got 2 pages written (small handwriting). I totally blanked on quotes and the hidden meaning of the poems.
    Will I FAIL???

You'll get a lower mark than you might have been capable of on one question out of 2 papers.

That in itself won't fail you, depends on all your other questions / the exam overall.

the poetry was great, that Eliot question was almost identical to the 2010 question.
    i managed the unseen alright as well, but I barely look at it tbh.
    at first the cultural context seemed impossible, the long one definitely did so i did the split and i think it went well.

Eliot had so many parts. I didn't know which part to focus on. I found as I wrote I was answering the question which was weird.
    I chose Lear because he suffered more and became wiser. I was delighted with myself because I had the definition of a tragic hero learnt off perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 26 pseudorachel

Hana98 wrote: »
    I chose Lear because he suffered more and became wiser. I was delighted with myself because I had the definition of a tragic hero learnt off perfectly

yeah, if I knew the definition of tragic hero i would have been sorted...

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

Guys don't be too upset if you think a question got away from you. You can often be too judgemental about it. I thought that I had lost the run of my Comparative halfway through it last year and it turned out to be highest marked thing I wrote over the two papers. The examiner might like what you wrote even if you didn't!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

Everyone squealed when Durcan came up in our exam hall, the examiner started laughing and I seen a few 'get in's!'
    I scrawled whey quote that I could remember and the question is perfect for what I'm good at!
    I kept forgetting about the narrative style but other than that it was delighted!
    Gatsby and the comparative was fine too and I actually remembered quotes!

Advertisement