Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Good double Din

Options
  • 07-06-2016 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Hi, thought I'd ask on here. I want to get a decent quality double din unit for my 2007 civic. The stock radio is a bit crappy. I want Bluetooth, USB, aux and CD player. Maps/GPS would be nice too, but not priority.

I've found a few pioneer units on eBay that look good at the €250 mark. However Chinese android units are found cheaper and have a lot of features. Anyone have any experience with them?

I know the install method and have the facia and cable kit sorted. Just trying to find the Best stereo.

I'd prefer to stay below €300 budget wise.

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

I recently installed an Eonon Android system in my Focus. They ship from UK so you don't have to pay customs and I was impressed with the quality. It's running Android so you can use Google Maps, Spotify and any other software you can get on the Play Store.

Have a look here: http://eonon.co.uk/Android-Car-GPS.html

They seem to sell the same units cheaper on Amazon too so have a look there.
    shietpilot wrote: »
    Installed my Eonon Android head unit today. Perfect day for the installation after work because all the radio stations were banging with 90s club classics :p

Everything was really plug and play except for the amplifier power cable. Works awesome! I'm tethering my phone's data using WiFi and then I can listen to Spotify while driving.

6qir9cw.jpg?1

th41q3J.jpg?1

NCDAzST.jpg?1

pYYemVW.jpg?1

KSnMyMH.jpg?1

dM0ZIa6.jpg?1

Also changed the post-cat O2 sensor on the Yaris. Emissions improved a bit but will still fail so I will do the pre-cat sensor next. The post-cat sensor was in bits and the cap was loose on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Timooo_23

That looks excellent. Is it laggy at all? Is it always asking for updates? I'm worried about putting something with software that goes out of date into the car. And how does the Bluetooth work on it? Is it clear?

Timooo_23 wrote: »
    That looks excellent. Is it laggy at all? Is it always asking for updates? I'm worried about putting something with software that goes out of date into the car. And how does the Bluetooth work on it? Is it clear?

My one came with Android 4.4.4 and it's pretty nippy. It's a quad core CPU with 1 GB RAM (which is more than enough for Android 4.4.4).

I haven't seen system updates so far and probably will not but if you have Android apps installed from the Play Store and those get updated it will show a notification (like on your phone).

The best part is Google Maps and Google Voice. You say "Ok Google - how do I get to XYZ" and easily navigate to the place you want to go. You can plug in a USB dongle with a 3G sim card and use data from there or do what I do and just enable data tethering on my phone and connect to the phone using WiFi on the head unit and share the phone's internet connection.

Bluetooth works very well. You have to pair the device and then you have access to the phone from the head unit. It automatically imports you contacts list from your phone and calling is very easy. You can also launch the music player on your phone and stream music to the head unit. The Bluetooth menu has control buttons so you can Pause, skip to the next song or return to the previous song.

Sounds the business so! Will look into an android radio so. Does it boot quickly when you turn on the car or does it take a minute or so?

Sounds the business so! Will look into an android radio so. Does it boot quickly when you turn on the car or does it take a minute or so?

It takes around 30 seconds to boot. It's actually not as big a deal as I thought it would be since I let the car idle for a minute anyway before I move off :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Was always looked at those from Eonon but never bit the bullet.

What is the FM reception like?

Newtown90 wrote: »
    Was always looked at those from Eonon but never bit the bullet.

What is the FM reception like?

I read online that the reception is poorer. Maybe that's true for the older units but I found it excellent. No noticeable difference in radio reception. This particular unit has RDS too so it shows the station names and stuff :)

Update on this, I went with a Sony Bluetooth radio. Has everything I wanted except CD player, but have USB connection and AUX input for anything like that. Will Post pictures if anyone wants to see it installed and working? Took about 6 hours to install the radio and reverse camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Update on this, I went with a Sony Bluetooth radio. Has everything I wanted except CD player, but have USB connection and AUX input for anything like that. Will Post pictures if anyone wants to see it installed and working? Took about 6 hours to install the radio and reverse camera.

Please do. Is the camera picture good quality? I'd love to put the reversing camera in my car but the thoughts of removing acres of trim fills me with dread.

A few photos of the new radio in the civic. It's a really good radio, sound quality is improved to no end. The Bluetooth features are very handy, took 6 hours start to finish to get the radio and the reverse camera in. The boot panels were the worst get on and off. Happy with it now!

• Advertisement

jca wrote: »
    Please do. Is the camera picture good quality? I'd love to put the reversing camera in my car but the thoughts of removing acres of trim fills me with dread.

Camera quality is grand! Perfectly clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

A few photos of the new radio in the civic. It's a really good radio, sound quality is improved to no end. The Bluetooth features are very handy, took 6 hours start to finish to get the radio and the reverse camera in. The boot panels were the worst get on and off. Happy with it now!

Did you get the kit to change the stereo from the crowd in England?
    I did the same in my Civic when I bought it about 5 years ago. Contemplating changing from my JVC double din to something else. Where did you get the Sony double din?

BDJW wrote: »
    Did you get the kit to change the stereo from the crowd in England?
    I did the same in my Civic when I bought it about 5 years ago. Contemplating changing from my JVC double din to something else. Where did you get the Sony double din?

Bought the facia and wiring kit from eBay, and the Sony radio from electro express in the UK. The pound being so weak now, it's probably the right time to do so. I'd highly recommend the radio. Though if you want dab, this sony doesn't have it. I use the phone to transmit internet radio anyway, so that doesn't bother me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Bought the facia and wiring kit from eBay, and the Sony radio from electro express in the UK. The pound being so weak now, it's probably the right time to do so. I'd highly recommend the radio. Though if you want dab, this sony doesn't have it. I use the phone to transmit internet radio anyway, so that doesn't bother me.

I've never heard of electro express and google isn't giving any proper results :confused:
    Do your steering wheels controls still work? If I was to change stereo, I'd need a new adaptor for the steering wheel controls. The only thing that's made me not change my stereo for so long is that it has a removable face plate so it's great for security

BDJW wrote: »
    I've never heard of electro express and google isn't giving any proper results :confused:
    Do your steering wheels controls still work? If I was to change stereo, I'd need a new adaptor for the steering wheel controls. The only thing that's made me not change my stereo for so long is that it has a removable face plate so it's great for security

Electro express are a UK based eBay shop. The steering controls still work, you need an adaptor box though. The face doesn't come off, but it is flush with the dash. Don't know of that's important for security or not, but it looks nice.

Advertisement