Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat Recovery

Options
  • 04-06-2016 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi I'm looking for some advice from people who have had or didn't have a heat recovery system installed! We've a new build bungalow and have opted for UFH using air to water, being installed shortly. Our plumber is recommending we also install a heat recovery system but we are on a really tight budget and the cheapest quote we've had is in excess of €5k! We've insulated the house to a very high spec and would like to hear anyone's recommendations or advice most welcomed! TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Fflk wrote: »
    Hi I'm looking for some advice from people who have had or didn't have a heat recovery system installed! We've a new build bungalow and have opted for UFH using air to water, being installed shortly. Our plumber is recommending we also install a heat recovery system but we are on a really tight budget and the cheapest quote we've had is in excess of €5k! We've insulated the house to a very high spec and would like to hear anyone's recommendations or advice most welcomed! TIA

Not an expert at all but you mention insulation but not air tightness, suggest you add more info on that, any spec, test results etc. That might help get some good answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

What is the air tightness target?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Fflk

MAJJ wrote: »
    Not an expert at all but you mention insulation but not air tightness, suggest you add more info on that, any spec, test results etc. That might help get some good answers.
    Hi thanks for response, we haven't had an air tightness test carried out yet, at what stage is this done? House is closed in, plastering inside and plumbing are next. Kinda clueless regarding all this building!!! TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 12,245 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Hi thanks for response, we haven't had an air tightness test carried out yet, at what stage is this done? House is closed in, plastering inside and plumbing are next. Kinda clueless regarding all this building!!! TIA

You need to be more specific here: plastering inside means exactly what?

Is all the plaster board up and taped

I suspect at this stage it is too late for:
    1. a meaningful air tightness test, as no cost effective remediation work is possible
    2. installing a full house MHVR
    I also suspect there has been no attention to an airtightness layer

Ps: this thread might run better over in C&P

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Fflk

You need to be more specific here: plastering inside means exactly what?

Is all the plaster board up and taped

I suspect at this stage it is too late for:
    1. a meaningful air tightness test, as no cost effective remediation work is possible
    2. installing a full house MHVR
    I also suspect there has been no attention to an airtightness layer

Ps: this thread might run better over in C&P
    Thank you for your response. No the plastering hasn't started yet, the plasterer is installing an air tightness membrane and the plaster boarding. Is if after this we should conduct the air tightness test? Would the results dictate the need for the heat recovery system? TIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,245 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thank you for your response. No the plastering hasn't started yet, the plasterer is installing an air tightness membrane and the plaster boarding. Is if after this we should conduct the air tightness test? Would the results dictate the need for the heat recovery system? TIA

1: A/T test shout be done before any plasterboard is put up.
    The A/T layer should, ideally, be entirely visible to the eye during the test, because it is holes in the layer that leads to the test failing
    2: if you get a good A/T result, the you will have to make sure u have adequate controlled ventilation and that is where the MHVR comes in, the heat recovery is a bonus falling out of the ventilation requirements being met mechanically.

If the A/T test is poor, the MHVR is a waste of money

Part F in the TGD's sets out the building reg requirements for ventilation
    http://www.environ.ie/housing/building-standards/tgd-part-f-ventilation/technical-guidance-document-f-ventilation-2009
    see page 18, section 1.2.3 and following.

MHVR is not a project that can be done on the back of a beer mat, or the wrapping of a munch roll.
    Get is right and they are wonderful.
    Get it wrong and they are a disaster, c/w health risks.

This might also help
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99904755

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Carrickbeg

What kind of running costs kwh does one of these units use?

Advertisement