Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Shoulder injury upon return to the gym, what to do?

Options
  • 03-06-2016 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi,

I was in the gym on Monday and when I arrived home I noticed an issue with my right shoulder. It is now Friday, and I can still feel it. There isn't pain really, its more fatigue or a dull ache, that would be the best way to describe it. I have full range of motion in the right arm. I have noticed sharp pain here and there (even though sharp, not much pain at all, but it is noticeable).

I have recently just returned to the gym after taking time off for final year exams. I am considering going to my GP about this. I am fuming at the thought of being out of the gym for 6ish weeks or more. Is there a workaround? I have an interest in cycling which I could potentially do instead during the recovery period but that won't replace lifting weights.

I did have a similar issue a few years ago. I took a number of months of the gym to recover and when looking back I think I took too much time off.

I would really appreciate any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Go to gp or a physio and don't be panicking til you find out the issue, they'll give you advice also

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you don't know the problem, you don't know the solution and you don't know how long you might have to rest it.

There may be a work around but I'd consider going to a physio to find out what the issue is and how, if possible, you can work around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Go to a physio/physical therapist get it looked at. Shoulders are often a symptom of something else going on in the body

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭danielgalway

Thank you all for the feedback. I have an appointment with my GP on Tuesday morning. I think I will still visit a physio as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Remember that there are lots of things you can do in the gym that don't tax your shoulder. So even if your GP provides some bad news, no reason not to train. Infact, no reason not to get down there and do some lower body focussed stuff before the GP visit. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Wouldn't even bother with a GP; realistically they'll refer you to a physio. Just go to a physio imo.

Advertisement