Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11/N11 bottleneck on Fridays

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

BoatMad wrote: »
    huh, I disagreed , Ive sat in them , and theres less then a KM from KIlmac to bray north anyway ( not a few Kms)

It's 5km from Bray North to the 60 limit at Kilmac:

https://goo.gl/maps/Hje7DYzLUBK2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I've only just found this thread and as a daily commuter from Wicklow to Parkwest I'm pleased to hear they are at least looking at the issues on this stretch of road - even if I have no faith that they'll bother to do anything. It's shocking that all involved aren't eager to implement some quick fixes at the idiotic layout at the kilmac petrol stations!

As for the Enniskerry detour, I'll do this anytime heading home I hear on Dublin City Radio that it's worse than "normal" at the M50/N11 merge - except I'll go right at the white cottage (after the narrow bridge) and come out at the Kilmac junction just after the petrol stations to rejoin the N11. Dont see the point in ending up doubling back at Fassaroe.

The hold ups are a combination of all the mentioned things, but the worst issue is the M50/N11 merge to Bray North. Every day traffic will pile up at Jn16 Cherrywood but typically starts moving again (all be it slow) once you get past Bray North. Yes it can stop start again all the way to Bray South but it's rare it stops completely again into Kilmac. Of course a crash anywhere along there and all bets are off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Patww79 wrote: »

Widening it to 3 lanes as far as J6 would be a good start.

The Greater Dublin Area transport plan has a plan for widening of the M50 from where it currently narrows to 2 lanes, past the M11 merge as far as J6 Fassaroe. The N11 would be reconfigured to a motorway from J6 to J14 Coyne's Cross. Much needed but it will be an incredible engineering challenge to get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

marno21 wrote: »
    Widening it to 3 lanes as far as J6 would be a good start.

The Greater Dublin Area transport plan has a plan for widening of the M50 from where it currently narrows to 2 lanes, past the M11 merge as far as J6 Fassaroe. The N11 would be reconfigured to a motorway from J6 to J14 Coyne's Cross. Much needed but it will be an incredible engineering challenge to get it done.

I honestly think poor driver behaviour plays a large part in the mess at the Merge. Tailgaters won't allow others to merge safely. I'd like to see the RSA or whoever try interactive speed limit signs - enforced with speed cameras.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I agree that poor behavior doesn't help - people bail off the M50 onto the left lane for the M11 too early, some into the hash markings, but others leg it up the left lane and pull into the M50 at the very last minute causing that lane to stop to let them in... Then of course folk in the right lane tailgate and refuse to let anyone over.

BUT of course additional lanes would help ease the congestion. It would have to go down far enough though so that extra free flowing traffic from the merge doesn't just back up. I would think to Bray South to make any real difference (while sorting the garage, Herbert Rd and in the other direction Enniskerry). But that's a costly ask. Widening just to Fassaroe I fear wont help as it will back up as soon as it does go down to 2 before loads pile off at Bray South.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

BigMoose wrote: »

As for the Enniskerry detour, I'll do this anytime heading home I hear on Dublin City Radio that it's worse than "normal" at the M50/N11 merge - except I'll go right at the white cottage (after the narrow bridge) and come out at the Kilmac junction just after the petrol stations to rejoin the N11. Dont see the point in ending up doubling back at Fassaroe.

You don't need to double back to fassroe when you turn left at the white cottage go about 2km and after the bad bends take a left and this will bring you out at the bray south overbridge
    Much quicker than going to kilmac the other way

I tried going left at the white cottage once and got lost or something went wrong so never tried again! Must give that a go next time :) Assume there's no queue getting back on at Bray South?

Advertisement