Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Can you return at item to pennys if you damaged it trying to take it off?

• 29-05-2016 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3 Fatfeet

I bought a pair of size ten boyfriend jeans and I didnt have time to try them on as it was 10 to 6 and they were doing their usual ushering out. So i said i'd just return them if they didnt fit, but i spent literally fifteen minutes trying to get them over my heels, and fair enough if i was a size 14 and got a 10, but im size 6/8 and i got the jeans so that theyd be loose on me, well, when i was putting them on the ends of the jeans split and i tried to take the other leg off but it would and my hands were hurting so i had to cut the cuff a little. The jeans seemed unreasonable tight even around the thighs, so theyd hardly actually fit someone who was a size ten? Could i return them?

Comments

• Of course not. You cut them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

No harm in trying. In my student days I once wore a pair of shoes to an interview and returned them to dunnes afterwards.

Give it a go and hope the don't inspect them too much. He who dares wins and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

Fatfeet wrote: »
    I bought a pair of size ten boyfriend jeans and I didnt have time to try them on as it was 10 to 6 and they were doing their usual ushering out. So i said i'd just return them if they didnt fit, but i spent literally fifteen minutes trying to get them over my heels, and fair enough if i was a size 14 and got a 10, but im size 6/8 and i got the jeans so that theyd be loose on me, well, when i was putting them on the ends of the jeans split and i tried to take the other leg off but it would and my hands were hurting so i had to cut the cuff a little. The jeans seemed unreasonable tight even around the thighs, so theyd hardly actually fit someone who was a size ten? Could i return them?

No. You have to return them in merchantable quality, so they can resell them. If you've cut the cuff, they generally won't accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,173 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I'd say try explaining your case to them, as it sounds as though the goods aren't 'fit for purpose'? Maybe you could show them another similar pair of jeans the same size to prove that they are unreasonably small? It's worth a try but having cut them probably doesn't help your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

What are boyfriend jeans?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I used to work here. You haven't a chance if you have ripped them.

We inspect everything, and if the item is damaged you won't get your money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,269 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

A shop will thoroughly inspect any clothes that you bring back under a 'no quibble' money back policy, I've witnessed the process in Dunnes and Penneys. As per the previous post, I wouldn't expect them to refund your money if the goods have been ripped or cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

You have no come back on the "these aren't a 10 " because you had the opportunity to try them on and you didn't take it.
    If you'd tried them on then you would have realised that they didn't fit you and you wouldn't have bought them .
    You can't say you didn't try them on because you were being "ushered out". Were you actually physically refused entry to the changing rooms?
    You've ripped and cut the legs of the jeans and now Penneys can't sell them to anybody else, so I don't see why they would give you your money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

OP you might be a few sizes bigger than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,358 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Usually, if they won't go on past the heels, it's time to admit defeat :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Did you rip them by pulling them on over high heels? If so, you can't return them as you did the damage.
    Did they rip easily while you were getting dressed in a typical way (no heels), then yes, you could return them as faulty. They shouldn't rip while putting them on, or taking them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

percy212 wrote: »
    Did you rip them by pulling them on over high heels? If so, you can't return them as you did the damage.
    Did they rip easily while you were getting dressed in a typical way (no heels), then yes, you could return them as faulty. They shouldn't rip while putting them on, or taking them off.

The jeans didn't fit her to the extent were they were hurting her ankles, then, taking them off was hurting her hands so she took either a knife or scissors to them in order to relieve the discomfort and also to hurry up removing the jeans.
    If she had taken the opportunity presented by Penneys to try them on before she purchased them then she would have realised when she couldn't comfortably get the jeans up her leg, that they weren't the right size for her.
    She persisted (for 15 minutes) at home because she had paid for them and she wanted to wear them .
    I don't see any case to be made for her to get a refund or a replacement .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

JJayoo wrote: »
    OP you might be a few sizes bigger than you think.

it can depend a lot on the brand too. It makes sense to reduce your sizes to attract customers who will go "ohh, I like levis, I'm only a size 6 in them". Called vanity sizing. I would expect shops like penneys or dunnes to be more truthful about sizes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_sizing

You often hear about Marylin Monroe being a size 16, often in defence of todays size 16 women being called overweight. But I heard some of her dresses were measured, and had dressmakers measurements of her and she was a size 4 in todays clothes and uk 8.

If there were actual measurements given on the jeans you might have more of a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

I would take them back and let Pennies decide. I am not sure how a pair of jeans could hurt ankles unless they were too tight.
    The jeans didn't fit her to the extent were they were hurting her ankles, then, taking them off was hurting her hands so she took either a knife or scissors to them in order to relieve the discomfort and also to hurry up removing the jeans.
    If she had taken the opportunity presented by Penneys to try them on before she purchased them then she would have realised when she couldn't comfortably get the jeans up her leg, that they weren't the right size for her.
    She persisted (for 15 minutes) at home because she had paid for them and she wanted to wear them .
    I don't see any case to be made for her to get a refund or a replacement .

You must have your receipt for Penney's.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,835 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Could you not put the heels on AFTER TRYING. or am I missing something earth shatteringly obvious here. Lol.!!!

Too skinny for your body heels I think. And no, I doubt there will be a refund either IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

@ c_Montgomery

Boyfriend (fashion) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyfriend_(fashion)
    In fashion design, primarily in ready-to-wear lines, boyfriend is any style of women's clothing that was modified from a corresponding men's garment. Examples include boyfriend jackets, boyfriend jeans, and boyfriend blazers, ...

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

@OP After damaging your jeans I don,t think you will be able to take them back. The best thing you could do is get the repaired and give them to a charity shop or sell them for half of what you paid online and take this as a lessen learned that next time you will try on the jeans or dress or any other item you buy in a shop before paying for it and if its near to closing time then leave it until you are in the shop again and have more time.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Could you not put the heels on AFTER TRYING. or am I missing something earth shatteringly obvious here. Lol.!!!

Too skinny for your body heels I think. And no, I doubt there will be a refund either IMO

I think she meant the heel of her foot rather than her shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Fatfeet

Thanks for the replies, I genuinely am a size 8 and it wasnt really the ankles it was my heels. I might leave it then and spare myself the embarrassment of demanding €19 back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

<SNIP>

Haven't don't it myself, but I've taken back items that were shopsoiled, most recently a Ted Baker jacket, where I had the tags off already.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 66,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

razorblunt wrote: »
    <SNIP>
    Haven't don't it myself, but I've taken back items that were shopsoiled, most recently a Ted Baker jacket, where I had the tags off already.

A cut doesn't look much like a rip.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@razorblunt - please do not advocate lying here.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

Fatfeet wrote: »
    but i spent literally fifteen minutes trying to get them over my heels

Seriously, 15 minutes trying to get them on? How did you ever think that you were going to get them off without the aid of a scissors if it took 15 minutes just to get past your foot? 30 seconds should have been enough time for you to know that these were not the jeans for you, and bring them back for a different size. After tearing and cutting them, you haven't a hope of a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Seriously, 15 minutes trying to get them on? How did you ever think that you were going to get them off without the aid of a scissors if it took 15 minutes just to get past your foot? 30 seconds should have been enough time for you to know that these were not the jeans for you, and bring them back for a different size. After tearing and cutting them, you haven't a hope of a refund.

Definitely also very apt username OP...:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I wouldn't think they would take them back.

c8cd5b806fdc23edf8da29c21a7ec646.jpg

Advertisement