Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any RTÉ plans for extra Olympic tv channels or Streams?

Options
  • 27-05-2016 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know have RTÉ any plans for extra tv channels or streams on Saorview. Surely with the spare capacity available and presumably lots of sports taking place simultaneously it would be a good idea. Like what the BBC do as not all of us have good enough broadband to watch online or satellite tv available at every tv in a household.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,448 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A possible red button on Saorview I would think seeing as TG4 have done this recently so it is possible.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

They have RTE NN which could be used, and RTE jr/+1 which could also be used.

RTE have four channels - two HD and two SD. They could also go 720 by 576 on the SD to improve the resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

A possible red button on Saorview I would think seeing as TG4 have done this recently so it is possible.

What did TG4 provide?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

A couple of late season Pro 12 games which clashed with other events were shown on the red button on Saorview and Channel 602 on Virgin Media. For once, it was Sky viewers that were left in the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

They have RTE NN which could be used, and RTE jr/+1 which could also be used.

RTE have four channels - two HD and two SD. They could also go 720 by 576 on the SD to improve the resolution.

Yes those channels could be options on SKY especially RTÉ 1 +1 but no need on Saorview. I was more wondering if RTÉ had announced any plans for any extra coverage. Be good if they did. Just have to wait and see I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I expect any extra coverage will be online only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Delta2113

lertsnim wrote: »
    I expect any extra coverage will be online only.

- and/or they will show it on RTE News Now and make a dog's dinner of it.

e.g. still leave scrolling news,side bars -massive logo.

In 2012 they did provide extra online coverage. Seems like Setanta are not taking the Paralympics this time round, with RTE providing a highlights show and 4 live streams online.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,448 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Elmo wrote: »
    What did TG4 provide?

Live Rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

It seems RTE will follow the S4C model and offer commentary streams in English and Irish during the Euros, on Saorview and Sky.

• Advertisement

To state I am pro the Irish Language but.... why introduce an Irish Language soundtrack if you cann't afford the whole tournament? I'd assume the sound track comes from RnaG, but then I know that would be unheard of!

Also RTE have yet to introduce AD :/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Also RTE have yet to introduce AD :/

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92583600

A bit of a wasted opertunity not to launch an olympics branded channel?. Coverage is on RTÉ News Now but it's obscure EPG placement means it might as well not exist. Pity they didn't add a new channel on Saorview and maybe have it on SKY by replaceing RTÉ One +1 in the EPG for the duration of the games.

medoc wrote: »
    A bit of a wasted opertunity not to launch an olympics branded channel?. Coverage is on RTÉ News Now but it's obscure EPG placement means it might as well not exist. Pity they didn't add a new channel on Saorview and maybe have it on SKY by replaceing RTÉ One +1 in the EPG for the duration of the games.

For those with Saorview it's a welcome change. And at least it's a step after years of very little.

For those with Saorview it's a welcome change. And at least it's a step after years of very little.

I agree. At least RTÉ had enough cop on to use RTÉ News Now for extra coverage. But still a pity not to do more. Not everyone has good broadband to watch online. But as you say step by step lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,851 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

BBC don't seem to have the red button option this time either

paulie21 wrote: »

They can be added manually. The frequencies are here. The last few pages contain the HD streams.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/reception/pdfs/satellitefrequencies.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The BBC have 8 SD & 8 HD red button streams for the Olympics if you manually add them on Satellite.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They do, but it's been disabled in Ireland. Can still be added through Add Channels.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The BBC have 8 SD & 8 HD red button streams for the Olympics if you manually add them on Satellite.
    *hugs* Freesat box

If like me you cba waiting for the red button delay on Freesat
    Eight live HD channels 261-268
    Eight live SD channels 271-278.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/television/satellite/freesat_red_button1rio.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

icdg wrote: »
    They do, but it's been disabled in Ireland. .

Apparently forever according to this

http://www.a516digital.com/2016/08/sky-has-confirmed-that-bbc-red-button.html

SPDUB wrote: »

Very few conflicts for sporting rights from the BBC. With historical spillover RTE don't usual have a problem with BBC coverage. I'd say Sky didn't want to deal with BBC Worldwide.

It's very noticeable how poor the Olympic feed quality on RTÉ News Now is compared to BBC Four SD. Almost unwatchable.

It's very noticeable how poor the Olympic feed quality on RTÉ News Now is compared to BBC Four SD. Almost unwatchable.

Need Now was always a very poor feed.

Need Now was always a very poor feed.

True. The small size of main screen and been surrounded by the info bars and ticker probably meant it was just about acceptable. But for full video especially sports it's been shown up for what it is. Especially comparing the same feed on BBC Four SD.

True. The small size of main screen and been surrounded by the info bars and ticker probably meant it was just about acceptable. But for full video especially sports it's been shown up for what it is. Especially comparing the same feed on BBC Four SD.

How does it compare to other SD channels on Saorview? or other Irish SD channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭lertsnim

No different to other SD channels on Saorview. It's ridiculous that they are allowed to broadcast any channels so poorly.

How does it compare to other SD channels on Saorview? or other Irish SD channels?

Can't speak for Saorview as I don't use it regularly. On Sky the sd quality of the main Irish channels compares simillar to most other SD channels, not that that is anything amazing. BBC and Channel 4 appear better to me though. The transponder that contains RTÉ and TG4 has 13 tv channels and 4 radio stations. And a test which potentially might become the new SKY Sports Mix channel too. So I guess they aren't broadcasting in the maximum SD quality on SKY.

lertsnim wrote: »
    No different to other SD channels on Saorview. It's ridiculous that they are allowed to broadcast any channels so poorly.

Surely there needs to be some minimum standards set. Each time there is an advance in compression technology instead of better quality they seem to squeeze another channel in. On Freeview with the demand for space fair enough maybe. But no justification on SKY and certainly not on Saorview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

One way to compare the SD channels is to look at the average bitrate used by each channel - http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?mux=PSB-MUX-1&pid=1105&live=15&sec=0&lang=en

Advertisement