Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The brand split is back: Official Draft thread!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

My first instinct is this is great news. The roster is diverse, and if it means Reigns can be seperated off from other talent, ****ing awesome. Let him have his Raw, let me have my Kevin Owens led Smackdown.

My only real surprise is that THIS is how they announced it. I thought the obvious idea would be to build to it in a story with Shane vs Steph

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

pretty awful way to announce it to be honest.
    And trying to big it up in that video by having them arguing over who gets to control the "B" show is a bit of a stretch.

Still though.. should be interesting... I havent watched Smackdown in years :/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Reigns will be on both as having two champions won't make Reigns look strong. Reigns needs to look strong which is why WWE is replacing NXT with the Roman Reigns Power hour featuring the Usos.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,020 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

bit 50/50 on it tbh

im going to Raw and SD tapings in Glasgow in November but im a bit annoyed that raw will not be 3 hours anymore

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'd imagine NXT is about to get absolutely destroyed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Not a fan to be honest. Limits feud variety, and we've seen "brand A vs brand b" storylines done to death in WWE. First one didn't work, this one won't either.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

Buzzing about this. Smackdown has been so poor for god knows how long. The days of Taker/Edge/Batista signed to just that brand gave me some of my favourite SD! moments. Bring on the draft!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I do hope they have an exclusive draft show on the network and make it seem like a big deal. It'd be good use of the network as well.

And in fairness it breathes new life into Smackdown rather than making it a Raw light.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I think it needed this badly iv barley watched eithier show in so long.

I think this is needed for smackdown especally. plus i always loved the draft episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,859 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

PTH2009 wrote:
    im going to Raw and SD tapings in Glasgow in November but im a bit annoyed that raw will not be 3 hours anymore

Is Raw going back to 2 hours as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,434 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So will Finn get his call up at last now I wonder.

so what about the MITB winner and world champ sanario ???

Superstars and main event to be scrapped too ??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,581 ✭✭✭✭briany

Hopefully it'll be great and they'll show it on Sky 1 on Saturday mornings, like back in the old days.

Please make different sets as well. At least have different coloured ropes for both shows, or some sort of different scheme around the set.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I'd say Raw will be as it is with all the big names where Smackdown will go full scale wrasslin'.

ShagNastii wrote: »
    I'd say Raw will be as it is with all the big names where Smackdown will go full scale wrasslin'.

Aj styles reminds me of a smack down guy

Hopefully call ups galore come draft time

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Samoa Joe

This is probably really bad news for NXT. Serious brain drain on a weakish roster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭mullyboyee

I reckon they're gonna spread themselves too thin with this. Each brand could get very repetitive quite quickly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Unless there is something more to it I don't see Raw reverting to 2hrs being mentioned anywhere.

I really like this but partially just because it is big change and the WWE really needs a shake up. It also gives proper distinction to the "New Era" a term they are mentioning just as much as they did the dang "Diva's revolution" even though so far very little has changed guarantees except a handfull of NXT call ups. This should also mean that there will be more of those NXT guys coming, at the very least Finn will join up with Anderson and Gallows and be a big thing feuding with AJ on one of the brands (probably SD). Similarly it means that some people who aren't really doing anything might actually get storylines now like Apollo Crews who was probably just in a holding pattern until this was announced. Maybe Bayley will get called up too considering they will probably want good women on both brands capable of challenging / potentially holding the Womens title.

I would assume that Steph will run one and Shane the other plus that the WHC, Womens and Tag champs will probably appear on both. The IC and US titles I would not be surprised if they made brand specific.

Unless there is something more to it I don't see Raw reverting to 2hrs being mentioned anywhere.

I really like this but partially just because it is big change and the WWE really needs a shake up. It also gives proper distinction to the "New Era" a term they are mentioning just as much as they did the dang "Diva's revolution" even though so far very little has changed guarantees except a handfull of NXT call ups. This should also mean that there will be more of those NXT guys coming, at the very least Finn will join up with Anderson and Gallows and be a big thing feuding with AJ on one of the brands (probably SD). Similarly it means that some people who aren't really doing anything might actually get storylines now like Apollo Crews who was probably just in a holding pattern until this was announced. Maybe Bayley will get called up too considering they will probably want good women on both brands capable of challenging / potentially holding the Womens title.

I would assume that Steph will run one and Shane the other plus that the WHC, Womens and Tag champs will probably appear on both. The IC and US titles I would not be surprised if they made brand specific.

Triple h to Co manage raw with Steph and Shane for SD

So at survivor series we will have the cross brand 12 man tag

The Rumble will be 15 raw and 15 SD guys

Intercon and us titles will be exclusives to one brand each

Maybe 2 different tag titles and women's titles

Would love Raw to be non pg and SD pg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Never was a fan of the original brand split, and have not watched an episode of Smackdown in about 15 years.

• Advertisement

NXT is supposed to be a developmental brand anyway so I have no issue with them being somewhat raided although I wouldn't be surprised if they still have a few marquee names like Joe (surely the champ will stay for a while), Nakamura, Aries, Itami, Asuka etc plus then they have people like Athena coming through. I'd have no problem with Nakamura and Joe coming up but for some reason im not expecting it just yet. Maybe They will call up Carmella too, put her back with Enzo & Cass

I'm imagining rosters like this:

SD: Bayley, Finn Balor, Drew Gallows, Karl Anderson, AJ Styles, Randy Orton, Neville, Kevin Owens, Dolph Ziggler, Becky Lynch, Sheamus, Tyler Breeze & Fandango, Epico & Primo, Sin Cara, Baron Corbin, Alberto Del Rio, Paige, Natalya, Mark Henry, Summer Rae, Alicia Fox, Emma, Darren Young, Kane, Jack Swagger

Raw: Seth Rollins, Sasha, Roman Reigns, The Usos, John Cena, Dean Ambrose, Rusev & Lana, Bray Wyatt, Luke Harper & Erick Rowan, Braun Strowman, Cesaro, Apollo Crews, The Miz & Maryse, Sami Zayn, R-Truth & Goldust, Kalisto, Enzo & Big Cass w/ Carmella, The Vaudvillans, The Dudleys, Dana Brooke, Naomi, Tamina, Alexa Bliss, Big Show, Heath Slater/Bo Dallas/Curtis Axel, Nikki Bella, Titus O Neil,

Roman Reigns, Charlotte, Big E, Kofi & Xavier on all shows until they drop their title

Ryback could still return to either roster
    Brock / Jericho etc on Raw most likely when they show up for a short stint as it'll always be the main show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The brand split failed last time out and I cannot see how it can succeed the 2nd time. Im not sure the roster has enough bodies to fill 2 seperate shows either.

Its lazy booking of the highest order is all it is.

"How do we get Owens/Cesaro/Ambrose etc over without making Reigns look weak?"

"Eureka, we will have a different show where a belt will be passed around, while Roman will reign supreme over the other, then everyone is happy"

Im sure we will be promised the US Title and IC and tag titles will become very relevant again with the split, when in fact they will get lost in the shuffle (maybe not the IC) still. Then in about October we will have fellas crossing brands again and by Christmas the whole "split" will mean precisely nothing again.

/bah
    #humbug

• Registered Users Posts: 33,030 ✭✭✭✭CSF

There are obvious pros and obvious cons. If they went in the direction of having one Reigns-heavy show with the ****e we currently watch and turned Smackdown into the show we've been calling out for that would be amazing. Of course, that almost definitely is not what is going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Isn't that exactly what happened 14 years ago? Raw was the HHH show while SD had the Smackdown 6 tear sh*t up.

gimmick wrote: »
    Isn't that exactly what happened 14 years ago? Raw was the HHH show while SD had the Smackdown 6 tear sh*t up.

A lot has changed in 14 years though. That 'era' came pretty much directly from an era that gave the fans exactly what they wanted so this didn't represent a drastic change. This would represent a very dramatic change.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LightsStillOn

AJ, Finn, Nakamura, Sami, Owens, Cesaro, Joe, Neville, Breeze, Hideo. If they could throw these 10 lads together on Smackdown along with some of the better tag teams you'd have one of the best wrestling shows anywhere. Slim chance of it happening, but looking forward to seeing what they come up with all the same!

One thing about this I fear though is WWE burnout for people like me. SD will be on Tuesdays and Live so 5 hrs of WWE in 2 days, 8hrs in 3 days if there is a PPV that week and thats before even thinking about how Wednesday is when NXT airs

AJ, Finn, Nakamura, Sami, Owens, Cesaro, Joe, Neville, Breeze, Hideo. If they could throw these 10 lads together on Smackdown along with some of the better tag teams you'd have one of the best wrestling shows anywhere. Slim chance of it happening, but looking forward to seeing what they come up with all the same!

People like the Wyatts, Anbrose and Enzo and Cass aruguablg need the move most of all. People who Vince is never gonna be able to write for effectively and will almost certainly end up lost in the shuffle because Vince has no idea how to deal with gimmicks in this era.

One thing about this I fear though is WWE burnout for people like me. SD will be on Tuesdays and Live so 5 hrs of WWE in 2 days, 8hrs in 3 days if there is a PPV that week and thats before even thinking about how Wednesday is when NXT airs

If they're not relying on the same roster for both shows would having Smackdown live on the day it's broadcast not be an option?

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    If they're not relying on the same roster for both shows would having Smackdown live on the day it's broadcast not be an option?

dunno about options but it's being reported as moving to live on Tuesdays and im sure its probably for financial reasons with for example them reusing their live TV set up from Raw the night before

Advertisement