Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My proposal for a new football championship.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Would be tough to incorporate given how the numbers work out for each stage.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I guess progressing in the league would do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Jayop wrote: »
    OK, so I'm going by the article in the Times last year and I'll try to sort the McGuinness proposal into a shorter version to compare them.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/jim-mcguinness-how-i-would-reinvigorate-football-championship-1.2241993

And here's mine by comparison. In truth and on reflection they are actually vastly different and mine is much closer to that proposed by the GPA although I wouldn't have lost the provinces like they suggested.

For me Jim's proposal falls down in several areas very badly.

1) 16 teams start the summer out of the All-Ireland and no matter how many times people say it, there's no graw for starting in a secondary competition. Everyone should start in the hunt for Sam and the top boys should peel off as they progress.

2) 16 playing 1 and 15 playing 2 etc, will not solve the problem of hammerings in the championship which is the whole reason for change anyway I thought. Would Dublin V Laois or Kerry V Armagh be any better spectacle than what we already have in the early rounds?

3) Running the provinces over a weekend would be a disaster. I'd say a fair percentage of the crowd at a lot of provincial games is neutrals who go to lots of games. Running 5 games over a weekend would force them to pick one or two games to go to.

4) And this is the big one. Feck all summer football. Only 8 teams will have more than 1 game in the proper All-Ireland series. Surely that's the last thing we want.
    Good post Jayop, your proposal is actually quite different from Jims and you make a good case for why yours is better! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Here is mine

Leinster (force Kilkenny to compete)
    Munster
    Connacht (plus London and New York)
    Ulster

Provincial championships run as normal.
    No back door.
    Winners of each province go to All Ireland Semi Final and pair off on a rotation basis
    i.e.
    Y1 M v L, U v C
    Y2 M v C, L v U
    Y3 M v U, L v C

So essentially return to the pre qualifier system then? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Some good ideas but a big problem will be uncertainty over club c'ship dates. At least in most counties players have some certainty on when theit club cship games will be as the fixture list is drawn up well in advance so any system that will use league positions etc would imo have to use the previous years

• Advertisement
Advertisement