Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened to Gamestop?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

maximoose wrote: »
    It's a recently released best selling game, the best type to compare IMO.

If you don't think that's fair, here's the top selling PS4 games according to amazon right now

Game| Argos |Smyths| Gamestop
    Uncharted 4| 56.99| 64.99| 74.99
    Overwatch| - |64.99 |74.99
    Doom| - |64.99| 74.99
    Return to Arkham |- |49.99| 54.99
    Ratchet and Clank| 39.99| 39.99| 44.99
    No Mans Sky| - |64.99 |84.99
    Nathan Drake Collection| 56.99 |56.99| 74.99
    Star Wars Battlefront| 34.99| 34.99 |39.99
    GTA 5| 45.99 |64.99| 74.99
    Fallout 4| 39.99 |69.99| 74.99

They are consistently dearer than their biggest competitors.

Which goes back to my first point:
    Andy Magic wrote: »
    I think it's because there is very little profit in selling new games. When you see them in big retail stores at a lower price they are usually selling it at a loss in the hope you will buy something else also.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,882 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

When I bought mine there was no deals for 329 with a game in Argos.

When did you buy yours? That 1TB version has been at €329 on numerous occasions in Argos since the 8th of March.

The 500GB with no games was as low as €269 in March and April and if remember correctly in the Special Offers tab you could add one/two games to it as well.

The Fifa 500GB bundle was as low as €269 in in April.

I'd say 90% of the guys on the Xbox Forum recommend people to buy a console from Argos because they tend to have the best offers. Argos are also great to deal with for returns whereas GameStop are a nightmare and try to get you to contact the manufacturer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was speaking to a GS insider and they are on the ropes right now.
    Shops are near empty, they are closing unprofitable stores to stave off collapse.
    Their pricing is nuts.
    The devotion of so much floor space tells you a lot about what makes a profit there, and new games take up even less room than that.
    No one is compelled to buy there but a lot of folk who know no better shop there anyway.
    And that's all, as far as I can see.
    Online has killed bricks and mortar retail, Smyth's offer better deals than GS but there isn't enough of them so that everyone can avail.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I was speaking to a GS insider and they are on the ropes right now.
    Shops are near empty, they are closing unprofitable stores to stave off collapse.
    Their pricing is nuts.
    The devotion of so much floor space tells you a lot about what makes a profit there, and new games take up even less room than that.
    No one is compelled to buy there but a lot of folk who know no better shop there anyway.
    And that's all, as far as I can see.
    Online has killed bricks and mortar retail, Smyth's offer better deals than GS but there isn't enough of them so that everyone can avail.

I'm not surprised they're struggling, in a lot of cases their pre-owned price is still higher than getting it new in a different shop or online.

I still buy physical as i don't like the idea of spending €50-€60 on something which i then cant trade in but this place is just too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

The problem with Gamestop is greed, pure and simple. A few years ago, we had a choice of Game, Smyths, Gamestop, HMV, Xtra-Vision and few others. Prices were more reasonable, Gamestop always had a reputation for being the more expensive but it wasn't OTT. Then, one by one their competitors closed down and each time one did, Gamestop raised their prices a little bit more.

I love the idea of having a B&M game shop nearby. I don't want everything to go online only, I don't want a future where Amazon and a few other online giants rule all sales. I would (and do) happily pay a little more than what it would cost online to buy a game in a local shop. So, I buy my games in Argos and Smyths. I'm happy to pay a little more to support local enterprise but I refuse to be gouged and Gamestop gouge so I don't go there.

If their business costs are higher than Argos or Smyths because of having many small shops on the main street of towns, cities and shopping centres, then they should move to cheaper premise, reduce costs and reduce what they charge for games. Gamers don't need a shop with a "high street presence", bright lights and garish displays. Give me a small, dedicated shop on a side street with friendly staff with whom you can have a decent chat about games as you browse their reasonably priced games and I'll give you all my custom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I still use gamestop for new hardware, I've preordered my PSVR in my local one. I completely disagree with their pricing strategy for new games but do tend to find the odd gem in there for second hand games.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I have literally never bought anything in Gamestop. Even back when I used to buy physical disks, GAME, HMV, Argos or Smyths were always cheaper. I never understood how they managed to stay in business. It's even more surprising that they outlived GAME and HMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Everytime I pass either the William St or Crescent Shopping Center shop, they are empty. Cant see them lasting that long tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I miss the good old days of GAME.
    You could walk in and they would have a nice selection of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Mc Love wrote: »
    Everytime I pass either the William St or Crescent Shopping Center shop, they are empty. Cant see them lasting that long tbh

William st is doing well with the figurines apparently.

staff are also friendly and knowledgeable mostly due to them being ex game staff

parkway and cresent on the other hand staff fare useless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mcgooch

One of the reasons Gamestop charge more than other B&M stores for new games is simply because they want to push their (dwindling) customer base towards their used games section where the mark-ups they make are significantly higher. I've seen used games for sale in Gamestop at the same or at even higher prices than the equivalent brand new game in other B&M retailers. Obviously newly released games are not in the used sections around release, but it's not long before they start to appear (usually a few weeks) and they start ripping traders/customers off.

In short, Gamestop are trying to maximise profits by pushing used games over new. They are not interested in competing with other B&M retailers or digital on new games. It's the used games market where they're trying make their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I think it's because there is very little profit in selling new games. When you see them in big retail stores at a lower price they are usually selling it at a loss in the hope you will buy something else also.

Why can't anybody else clue into what the above guy is saying here?

Argos etc. aren't focused on just selling the new games, they want repeat, regular customers for a variance of products.

Gamestop are trying to sell a game (at a tiny markup as it is) and that's about it. Hence the extra disk insurance thing too.

Argos are making a loss on brand new games, break-even at best. In almost all of the packages they sell they are making a loss.

People keep bypassing it stating how greedy Gamestop are. What the fúck would you do in their situation so? Unless you have first-hand knowledge of their buying/selling strategies you don't know.

I'm not affiliated with Gamestop in any way by the way but I do know other retailers (golf in particular) who have to deal with similar issues.

mcgooch wrote: »
    One of the reasons Gamestop charge more than other B&M stores for new games is simply because they want to push their (dwindling) customer base towards their used games section where the mark-ups they make are significantly higher..

Will you get real please. What you are saying here is that they actually don't want people to purchase the brand new games. Do you actually understand what you just wrote!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

callaway92 wrote: »

Argos etc. aren't focused on just selling the new games, they want repeat, regular customers for a variance of products.

Gamestop are trying to sell a game (at a tiny markup as it is) and that's about it. Hence the extra disk insurance thing too.

Argos are making a loss on brand new games, break-even at best. In almost all of the packages they sell they are making a loss.

People keep bypassing it stating how greedy Gamestop are. What the fúck would you do in their situation so? Unless you have first-hand knowledge of their buying/selling strategies you don't know.

I'm not affiliated with Gamestop in any way by the way but I do know other retailers (golf in particular) who have to deal with similar issues.

If your not affiliated with them you most definitely are a fanboi.

We are talking about a global company not some mom and pop b&m, that is why most people will have ignored this out of hand straight away.

The clout that gamestop has is absolutely huge its one of the main reason that allot of the digital sales are so high so they don't overly complete with the big game sellers which make up a big chunk of their sales (but that is swinging).

In addition to this we as gamers have seen how the average price of games from gamestop has risen by about 10-15 euro since hmv left the market. Thats not even taking into account the markup on second hand games for the proce they buy them at, i remember a time when prices for 2nd hand games would keep you coming back.

What are we supposed to do thank them for raising their prices when we have the ability to purchase from multiple sources for much cheaper.

Calhoun wrote: »
    If your not affiliated with them you most definitely are a fanboi.

We are talking about a global company not some mom and pop b&m, that is why most people will have ignored this out of hand straight away.

The clout that gamestop has is absolutely huge its one of the main reason that allot of the digital sales are so high so they don't overly complete with the big game sellers which make up a big chunk of their sales (but that is swinging).

In addition to this we as gamers have seen how the average price of games from gamestop has risen by about 10-15 euro since hmv left the market. Thats not even taking into account the markup on second hand games for the proce they buy them at, i remember a time when prices for 2nd hand games would keep you coming back.

What are we supposed to do thank them for raising their prices when we have the ability to purchase from multiple sources for much cheaper.

"Fanboi"????? What f'ing age are you?

For what it's worth I haven't bought anything from Gamestop in about 10 years, so stuff your stupid 'fanboi' shít and grow up.

Seriously, you are all talking like you are experts here but nobody is saying what to do.

Saying to reduce the prices - People would still find any possible way to complain about them. I genuinely don't give two shíts about Gamestop but some of the clueless people here thinking reducing prices would be the saving grace need to understand they don't have any clue whatsoever.

Will you get real please. What you are saying here is that they actually don't want people to purchase the brand new games. Do you actually understand what you just wrote!!!!

You obviously arent acquainted with their 2nd hand selling policy, the difference between the price they buy and sell at is quite large, its very profitable for them.

They do of course need to have new sales to fuel the 2nd hand section but they do push it allot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I'm not a gamer anymore, but my brothers are, and I have got them to go elsewhere when buying games, as €70 euro for a game is a joke.

I hope they close down, as this corporation is robbing people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

They're not only competing with other games and toy shops, they also have the likes of Tesco selling AAA games at launch much cheaper.

I think GTA 5 was 45 or 50 quid in tesco on launch day, compared to 60 or 65 everywhere else.

Lidl, yes LIDL, are selling Uncharted 4 as a special buy, at 60 quid. Gamestop are charging 75.

Won't be long before they're gone.

You obviously arent acquainted with their 2nd hand selling policy, the difference between the price they buy and sell at is quite large, its very profitable for them.

They do of course need to have new sales to fuel the 2nd hand section but they do push it allot.

EXACT same as other (non gaming) businesses I've dealt with in the past. Nothing strange about this.

The poster basically said that they don't want people to buy new games.

"Fanboi"????? What f'ing age are you?

For what it's worth I haven't bought anything from Gamestop in about 10 years, so stuff your stupid 'fanboi' shít and grow up.

Seriously, you are all talking like you are experts here but nobody is saying what to do.

Saying to reduce the prices - People would still find any possible way to complain about them. I genuinely don't give two shíts about Gamestop but some of the clueless people here thinking reducing prices would be the saving grace need to understand they don't have any clue whatsoever.

Dont take offense but when you come on posting in that tone dont be surprised to get some push back.

Funnily enough we are gamers and we know the price of the items we buy and what we are willing to pay. Not just that but we have other avenues to go and buy games bypassing gamestop to make sure we get stuff for a fair price.

Finally i dont need to be an expert to know about supply, demand and price elasticity. So when folk are talking about why they think gamestop is going down hill funnily enough price will come up.

• Advertisement

eeguy wrote: »
    They're not only competing with other games and toy shops, they also have the likes of Tesco selling AAA games at launch much cheaper.

I think GTA 5 was 45 or 50 quid in tesco on launch day, compared to 60 or 65 everywhere else.

Lidl, yes LIDL, are selling Uncharted 4 as a special buy, at 60 quid. Gamestop are charging 75.

Won't be long before they're gone.

Exactly, but Tesco can afford to charge this since they are hoping that that enough people will do a full shopping trip there to compensate for the loss on people who don't, as are LIDL, SuperValu etc.

Not much Gamestop can do there really.

EXACT same as other (non gaming) businesses I've dealt with in the past. Nothing strange about this.

The poster basically said that they don't want people to buy new games.

There is nothing new but when you have a company buying a new game for say maybe 20 or 30 euro and selling it at 65 + and actively trying to sell people the 2nd hand game you can understand exactly what he is saying.

Dont take offense but when you come on posting in that tone dont be surprised to get some push back.

Funnily enough we are gamers and we know the price of the items we buy and what we are willing to pay. Not just that but we have other avenues to go and buy games bypassing gamestop to make sure we get stuff for a fair price.

Finally i dont need to be an expert to know about supply, demand and price elasticity. So when folk are talking about why they think gamestop is going down hill funnily enough price will come up.

Seriously now. What the hell was the point of this sentence?

Like, I honestly wasn't trying to argue here, it's just so many people who think they are experts in retail in this thread were genuinely driving me nuts. Nothing wrong with having some bit of support for Gamestop. Whole point of the forum in the end is for a discussion.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

So your happy paying 75 euro for a new game? when it can be gotten cheaper else where? and don't get me started on there prices for "2nd hand games"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Not much Gamestop can do there really.

There's nothing they can do.

When was the last time you saw a bargain in Gamestop?

I can get any new or second game much cheaper online. Download it if I want it now, or wait a few days if I want the disk.

I'm not prepared to spend an extra 10 or 15 euro just for the privilege of getting something good immediately.

I have seen plenty of bargains in CEX, but I wonder how much they make on hardware.

Seriously now. What the hell was the point of this sentence?

I am not going to explain to you principles of economics, your obvously an expert in business so i dont need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

My guess would be that Gamestop will be around for many more years but eventually it will get to the stage where they will no longer be able to operate out of there own stores and have to go into partnership with another store, such as Harvey Norman or even HMV.

I am not going to explain to you principles of economics, your obvously an expert in business so i dont need to.

Nah, I know economics quite well. Just thought it was strange that you put an absolutely meaningless sentence in there to be honest.

I'm not claiming to be an expert. I'm giving my opinion on it.

• Advertisement

eeguy wrote: »
    There's nothing they can do.

When was the last time you saw a bargain in Gamestop?

I can get any new or second game much cheaper online. Download it if I want it now, or wait a few days if I want the disk.

I'm not prepared to spend an extra 10 or 15 euro just for the privilege of getting something good immediately.

I have seen plenty of bargains in CEX, but I wonder how much they make on hardware.

Not quite true they are a global company there is quite allot they could do something if they wanted to. There is a middle ground between making a loss and genuienly skalping people.

Advertisement