Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Happy Pears twins

• 24-05-2016 12:56am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

So these guys were meathead jocks but now veggie gurus

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

They actually look pretty good for irish people and their ages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

How do you become a Veggie Guru?

Does your skill set include the ability to get smug off the smell of your own farts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Mec27 wrote: »
    They actually look pretty good for irish people and their ages

Suppose they do
    Could be just born with good looks
    Like the idea but just watched seemed so forced.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

How do you become a Veggie Guru?

Does your skill set include the ability to get smug off the smell of your own farts?

Yes, exactly how. Nail on the head, good for you. You must be so pleased with yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,374 ✭✭✭✭endacl

They do a lovely dhal.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Never heard of them till now seem to be popular anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Lemsiper wrote: »
    Yes, exactly how. Nail on the head, good for you. You must be so pleased with yourself?

I am thanks.

It made me feel well smug.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Check out the late late show thread from last Friday - they were the first guests on.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057600145/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

Met them at Body and Soul last year,sound heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

ah they're harmless, saw them on telly the other night for the first time, a touch of the jedwards about them which I knew would be grating to some, but id take them over jedward any day. id also take them over some dry, serious cnut with no passion or enthusiasm for what they do. you could get a lot worse than them.

• Advertisement

Arra they're only yet another couple of fellows making money off our stupidity.

In this case, the idea that if we buy their overpriced rabbit food, we're on the road to health. Mung beans and Cool Jim's Granola indeed.

See also people selling mindfullness, personal trainers (many of them actually also give nutrition and mindfullness advice too, lack of qualifications not being any barrier in this world) etc. etc. And always, always sold with enthusiasm. Enthusiasm and earnestness are rife in that world. Plug what we sell into your life and it'll be better, HUZZAH.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I have known them a long time, they are well travelled, educated, speak a few languages, great crack, and absolute gentlemen. They employ quite a few people (someone told me 40 but I don't know if this is true), have won several business awards and manage to make a good living from their passion. Every weekend I pass their shop / restaurant and the quest are across the footpath.

They have managed to make healthy food taste delicious by turning a failing vegetable shop into a thriving business. But of course this is Ireland so there is never a shortage of begrudgers. There is no failure like success in this country.

2011 wrote: »
    I have known them a long time...

As you say you know them a long time and thus are biased in favour of them.

They speak a few languages and are "great crack (sic)"? Really? Gosh, I guess I should buy the beans so.

Not whooping it up over "Cool Jim's Granola" is not begrudgery. I have nothing against them, I think punters who buy it deserve to be parted from money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Their food is horrible.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

As you say you know them a long time and thus can make a fair assessment

FYP
    Gosh, I guess I should buy the beans so.

Clearly you are upset about something. The solution for you is simple, if you don't like their food don't buy it. Nobody is forcing you to go into their shop or to support them.

I have nothing against them

Sure :rolleyes:
    I think punters who buy it deserve to be parted from money.

Yeah fcuk em, they get what they deserve!

FYP

Clearly you are upset about something. The solution for you is simple, if you don't like their food don't buy it. Nobody is forcing you to go into their shop or to support them.

Sure :rolleyes:

Yeah fcuk em, they get what they deserve!

You say I'm upset...and yet you're the person who is swearing and getting defensive...

Tell us about the "crack" again. In what way are they "crack"? You made the point, develop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Who??? Never heard of the happy bears..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,677 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

personal trainers (many of them actually also give nutrition and mindfullness advice too, lack of qualifications not being any barrier in this world) etc. etc

It would be remiss of a personal trainer to not offer advice on nutrition since they're in the business of improving someone's physical appearance, a large part of which involves nutrition. You don't need qualifications to offer advice on getting a balanced diet that incorporates appropriate amounts of macronutrients.

As for advising in mindfulness, to be fair I've seen trainers suggesting people should give it a go but no more than that.

As for the Happy Pear lads, good luck to them. From what I've seen of them I could only take them in very small doses but making a good living out of something that that they enjoy (and is legal...) is what most people would call a success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Been to the cafe a couple of times. Food is good, IMO. That's all I care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭marymary1984

Their food is really good - and seem like nice lads. But hyper buy no harm in that. Saw on late late show - liked the quieter brother - seemed like the brains of the operation. Best of luck to them, tough business and need to stand apart from the competition - don't see too many posts about the other healthy food company owners - marketing success!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Food is awesome, and the lads are really top class gentlemen, always say hello and have a chat when I'm there.

Tell us about the "crack" again. In what way are they "crack"? You made the point, develop it.

Sorry but I'm enjoying my "Cool Jim's Granola" too much to explain it to you :D

Take a deep breath, it's gonna be ok :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭recyclops

People queue for there coffee a lot ( its a greystones thing to have an orange cup) the coffee in both spendlove and caffe del stelle across the street is far superior but alas no orange cup.

PS, I dont mind there food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,579 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Their food is horrible.

Yes, that's right that's why it so successful and busy.

They speak a few languages and are "great crack (sic)"?

That's how the word is spelt, or at least how it should be spelt. Although perhaps that ship has sailed by now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Fanboys gotta fanboy!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭floyd333

I saw them on the late late. I thought they were too over the top. I'm a life long veggie but they make me want to eat meat and sh!t food.

I'm all for healthy eating and admire anyone who builds a successful business from nothing but I find them rather irritating.

I also have their first book. The dishes look lovely but they require way too many non standard ingredients.

Just my opinion... each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

murpho999 wrote: »
    Yes, that's right that's why it so successful and busy.

McDonalds is successful and busy....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I have known them a long time, they are well travelled, educated, speak a few languages, great crack, and absolute gentlemen. They employ quite a few people (someone told me 40 but I don't know if this is true), have won several business awards and manage to make a good living from their passion. Every weekend I pass their shop / restaurant and the quest are across the footpath.

They have managed to make healthy food taste delicious by turning a failing vegetable shop into a thriving business. But of course this is Ireland so there is never a shortage of begrudgers. There is no failure like success in this country.

So if we criticise anybody we are immediately called a begrudger? Or is it just your friends we can't criticise? I don't like these two guys and I know a lot of people in Greystones who don't. I don't like the way they seem to have completely taken over the footpath in front of the shop. At weekends it is becoming increasingly difficult to get past with the amount of people in the way but they seem to think they can get away with it because they are some sort of Greystones 'institution'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

So if we criticise anybody we are immediately called a begrudger? Or is it just your friends we can't criticise? I don't like these two guys and I know a lot of people in Greystones who don't. I don't like the way they seem to have completely taken over the footpath in front of the shop. At weekends it is becoming increasingly difficult to get past with the amount of people in the way but they seem to think they can get away with it because they are some sort of Greystones 'institution'.

You need to get over yourself a bit, I have never had any trouble getting passed the cafes..... on a sunny weekend its very very mildly irritating at best. I divide my business between caffe delle stelle but they have the sunny side of the street:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I know nothing about them only what I saw on the LLS recently and they seem just like the type of busy **** that I don't like but as 99.99% of the time I am unaware of their existence I can live with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

So some lads start a business together based around vegetables and healthy eating, they give courses on healthy eating and generally just encourage people to eat healthier and be happier.......and you're saying they're ****?......

right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Zombienosh wrote: »
    So some lads start a business together based around vegetables and healthy eating, they give courses on healthy eating and generally just encourage people to eat healthier and be happier.......and you're saying they're ****?......

right.

I said 'busy ****'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Is this some cafe up in Dublin ye are on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'm Donegal, we eat vegetables with our dinner every day and there's not one word about it.

Pretentious nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

gramar wrote: »
    I said 'busy ****'.

Ah sure that's grand so.😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I don't trust people that smile that much. They also appear to have no eyeballs, just these two dark slits where their eyes should be. I've also seen these grown a*s men wear matching clothes, which is disturbing.

In summation, they're the vegan Terrance and Phillip. Celebrity food people tend to annoy the hell out of me anyway. Just serve the damn food and get off my television, I don't care about your 'philosophy'.

(Yes I'm highly irritable)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I'm from the area. Cafe De Stelle across the road does the best coffee in greystones. Their uber happiness brand they got going is working, fair play to them. Making a mint.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

My missus gets all giddy when they reply to her comments on their YouTube vids. Havent tried any of their grub and the recipes look like a lot of work with no meat as a reward. Feck that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

keano_afc wrote: »
    My missus gets all giddy when they reply to her comments on their YouTube vids. Havent tried any of their grub and the recipes look like a lot of work with no meat as a reward. Feck that.

bro im afraid ive got some bad news

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I genuinely have no idea who these guys are, sounds like they're doing well for themselves though? Fair play to them I suppose.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

Howya Stephen. Or is it David? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,677 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'm Donegal,

Hi Donegal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Are they the same vegans who're doing handstands and sharing pictures all over social media?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

topper75 wrote: »
    Is this some cafe up in Dublin ye are on about?

It's in Greystones, which is Glasthule for people who aspire to live in Sandycove/Glasthule/Dalkey, but can't afford it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭mathie

Arra they're only yet another couple of fellows making money off our stupidity.

In this case, the idea that if we buy their overpriced rabbit food, we're on the road to health. Mung beans and Cool Jim's Granola indeed.

Do you genuinely believe that food and health are not related?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

Duggy747 wrote:
    Are they the same vegans who're doing handstands and sharing pictures all over social media?

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

They are charging extortionate amounts for 'weekly veg. boxes', which look like they are made up of the Super Six from Aldi. Other than that don't have a problem with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Texas Jack

Sitting next to them on a long flight, you'd be hoping ISIS were sitting behind you.

mathie wrote: »
    Do you genuinely believe that food and health are not related?

Um. I never said that at all.

I was talking about their products, not food in general. I don't need rugby playing hipsters (yes...I tried watching their TEDtv thing, rugby, boarding school, homosexual joke, boozing and chicks all referred to in first 2 minutes, I stopped watching) to tell me vegetables are good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement