Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PES 2017 - Thoughts & Discussion

Options
  • 23-05-2016 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Just wondering the overall feeling on the boards of Konami's PES series?

Also be cool to have a place to discuss the news, rumours and obviously when screens, gameplay vids and the actual game itself comes, get an opinion from some of you guys.

PES always had a strong Irish following (especially in my age group anyway!) but it seems to have dropped off over the last 2-3 years which is a pity as the gameplay is finally back in the right direction.

Did PES 2016 show you enough to sway you from FIFA? Or is FIFA just too big, too social and ultimately too popular?

Would love a nice Irish discussion on a series I'm sure we all have memories of!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It's far better than FIFA (without any doubt as a football fan) but there's a few small things that need tidying up. I don't care about how popular FIFA is, as long as I get a good game out of PES. I can see why the casual gamer would prefer FIFA, not just because of the automatic licensing but the whole Ultimate Team thing is very good too.

Just niggly things in the gameplay that drive me nuts sometimes - Inconsistent referees (or consistently bad!), high through balls being spammed from the other end of the pitch and being rewarded, PENALTIES!!!

I think online divisions are good the way it force you to choose weaker teams as you get promoted but I do often find myself losing unfairly when I'm Wolfsburg etc. against Real Madrid and they score a last minute winner from either a through ball down the wing crossed in and headed or else a long hit-and-hope through ball leading to a goal.

Highly addictive game though - Online and offline both enjoyable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Pes 2016 was very very poor, but tbh I think I wouldn't even enjoy pes 6 anymore. Fifa 13 was the best football game imo.

Pes 2016 was very very poor, but tbh I think I wouldn't even enjoy pes 6 anymore. Fifa 13 was the best football game imo. FIFA 16 was painful and PES16 was rubbish

Mec27 wrote: »
    Pes 2016 was very very poor, but tbh I think I wouldn't even enjoy pes 6 anymore. Fifa 13 was the best football game imo. FIFA 16 was painful and PES16 was rubbish

At least some sort of reasoning would be nice to justify it being rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 TheMidnitekid

callaway92 wrote: »
    It's far better than FIFA (without any doubt as a football fan) but there's a few small things that need tidying up. I don't care about how popular FIFA is, as long as I get a good game out of PES. I can see why the casual gamer would prefer FIFA, not just because of the automatic licensing but the whole Ultimate Team thing is very good too.

Just niggly things in the gameplay that drive me nuts sometimes - Inconsistent referees (or consistently bad!), high through balls being spammed from the other end of the pitch and being rewarded, PENALTIES!!!

I think online divisions are good the way it force you to choose weaker teams as you get promoted but I do often find myself losing unfairly when I'm Wolfsburg etc. against Real Madrid and they score a last minute winner from either a through ball down the wing crossed in and headed or else a long hit-and-hope through ball leading to a goal.

Highly addictive game though - Online and offline both enjoyable.

Good points man. myClub is dying a slow death since the superstar agents gave everyone a brilliant team. Ref are crazy bad I agree 100% especially the advantage rule which harkens back to the days of bad programming bugs of ignoring a certain area and don't concede a foul.

Kits and emblems take about 2-3 hours to get perfect but the presentation of FIFA is miles ahead. High through balls & ping pong passing have plagued the faster based games, (PES 12, PES 16) whereas PES 13 & PES 14, 15 suffered from terrible shooting etc.

• Advertisement

I reckon FIFA 12 was the best overall, pace was perfect. You played much of PES to form this opinion?

Yeah got it on release day, there is a good game somewhere there, but too many annoying aspects, I especially don't like the lack of satisfaction that a goal brings, and yes I played on full manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Apart from Rocket League, PES 2016 is the best sport game I've played since FIFA 12, definitely a throwback to the days of PES 6 and prior as well. The gameplay is unbelievably crisp, the games themselves are true to real life and it's an enjoyable experience overall.

EA took their eye off the ball with FIFA though, they probably didn't think PES would ever recover in the fashion that it did in PES 2016, and it could potentially come back to bite them in the arse. Although it hasn't happened yet, probably down to its popularity and also that many younger people are unaware of PES' existence/quality.

But FIFA really has taken a nosedive over the last 2 or 3 years. Got FIFA 16 on day one last year and after giving it a chance I wanted to trade it in. It's become less of a game and more like the Sky Sports Experience.

I read a piece by VG editor Steve Burns recent where he called FIFA "Full-kit Wanker: The Game", I genuinely burst out laughing! I know that would probably rub FIFA heads the wrong way, but there's definitely a hint of truth to it.

I only gave up on Konami in 2013, and never came around to Fifa until 13, was 12 that good!

I only gave up on Konami in 2013, and never came around to Fifa until 13, was 12 that good!
    It was the best soccer game that EA Sports have ever produced, but that's just my opinion. Every FIFA since I feel has been a continuous regression. It still had many of the niggling problems that make the current FIFA games infuriating to play, but to a far lesser extent and its overall playability made up for them.

I properly moved over to FIFA from PES in 2008 when FIFA 09 & PES 2009 was released, even though I played plenty of FIFA 08 as PES 2008 was utter crap; the beginning of long period of ****e by PES post-PES 6.

I think FIFA 09 was the first of the games to feature the new game mechanics which also featured in the Euro 2008 licenced game which was really good at the time, but I think their whole game engine has become dated now. They need to replace it with something totally new, FIFA's collision system is bloody horrible, that's the first thing that need to be overhauled/replaced.

PES moved over to the Fox Engine for 2015 (made for MGS V) and I think that's what's transforming them at the moment, PES had stayed the same for too long and that's how they fell behind when the transition over to the PS3/360 gen took place. They fully got to grips with it this for 2016 and most people would attribute it's inclusion to the improvements in the game. I genuinely can't wait to see how PES 2017 turns out given the current trend in PES games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Nailz wrote: »
    Apart from Rocket League, PES 2016 is the best sport game I've played since FIFA 12, definitely a throwback to the days of PES 6 and prior as well. The gameplay is unbelievably crisp, the games themselves are true to real life and it's an enjoyable experience overall.

EA took their eye off the ball with FIFA though, they probably didn't think PES would ever recover in the fashion that it did in PES 2016, and it could potentially come back to bite them in the arse. Although it hasn't happened yet, probably down to its popularity and also that many younger people are unaware of PES' existence/quality.

But FIFA really has taken a nosedive over the last 2 or 3 years. Got FIFA 16 on day one last year and after giving it a chance I wanted to trade it in. It's become less of a game and more like the Sky Sports Experience.

I read a piece by VG editor Steve Burns recent where he called FIFA "Full-kit Wanker: The Game", I genuinely burst out laughing! I know that would probably rub FIFA heads the wrong way, but there's definitely a hint of truth to it.

Im guessing you dont play NBA 2K or MLB the show cause they are ahead of PES. I echo what someone mentioned scoring a goal is very meh.

The community isn't what it used to be tbf. The emergence of online gaming has added to the lack of people trying PES as FIFA (Ultimate Team) continues to grow. Saying that, PES offline this year is the best ever apart from one or two small issues. Lack of proper Team AI is still a major issue in sports game but I don't think we will see this until a few years, even from NBA 2K which is astounding.

PES 2016 does do a much better job of providing the 'every match is different' experience though. That was lacking last year big time. Still not there yet in every game and scripting is atrocious online imho. More casual pick up n' play style from last two iterations.

Interesting question but do you guys pay attention to Team Spirit in your squads? Practically transforms the gameplay once it's 99 Team Spirit in Master League or myClub. Passing is crisper, shooting and defending tightens, even stamina improves.

My friend bought PES this year and couldn't understand why his 'top class players' couldn't control the ball when 1-0 down. Team Spirit literally changed his entire experience

astonaidan wrote: »
    Im guessing you dont play NBA 2K or MLB the show cause they are ahead of PES. I echo what someone mentioned scoring a goal is very meh.

I actually had never really thought about scoring satisfaction. I actually agree! Shooting too easy? Goalies too unreliable? Too easy break defense? All of the above probably!

NBA 2K16 is unreal. Easily my most played game apart from PES. It's a good bit ahead in every aspect

The community isn't what it used to be tbf. The emergence of online gaming has added to the lack of people trying PES as FIFA (Ultimate Team) continues to grow. Saying that, PES offline this year is the best ever apart from one or two small issues. Lack of proper Team AI is still a major issue in sports game but I don't think we will see this until a few years, even from NBA 2K which is astounding.

PES 2016 does do a much better job of providing the 'every match is different' experience though. That was lacking last year big time. Still not there yet in every game and scripting is atrocious online imho. More casual pick up n' play style from last two iterations.

Interesting question but do you guys pay attention to Team Spirit in your squads? Practically transforms the gameplay once it's 99 Team Spirit in Master League or myClub. Passing is crisper, shooting and defending tightens, even stamina improves.

My friend bought PES this year and couldn't understand why his 'top class players' couldn't control the ball when 1-0 down. Team Spirit literally changed his entire experience

I actually think the only thing that ruins the game in anyway is the shooting, also the way the AI over and over and over again works the ball to the exact same area to score into the same spot, I have only ever conceded an edge of the box bottom corner goal, never anything else. Its a game ruiner for me.

astonaidan wrote: »

You'd be right in guessing I don't play every iteration of them, I have MLB The Show 2015 but I haven't gotten an NBA 2K game since 2K13 on the PS3 (which was very good also) because I'm not really interested in NBA. But I've heard only good things about 2K16 and I'd be willing to take your word for it and check it out! Like I said though, barring RL, PES 2016 it's the best sports game "I played" since FIFA 12. :)

I can understand why you may feel that way on your latter point, but not for me, especially when it's an example of your game plan paying off. I can see how the general combination of powerful shooting and admittedly crap goalies can make it dissatisfying though, I can't disagree on that front. Not every game is perfect though, which is why I'm looking forward to PES 2017 and seeing where and how they made improvements to an already riveting game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Some details about '17.
    Comes out in autumn for the 360, One, PS3, PS4 and PC.

Some screenshots here
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-25-heres-our-first-look-at-pes-2017

I think PES17 will be incredible, I think too many people give them the benefit of the doubt for 16, really look at the shooting and how the ball hits the net, it looks terrible.

I'm actually going to be playing the game June 2nd after officially getting an invite! Can't wait to see these new features. Any questions you guys have let me know

That f'ing stumbling/collision animation needs to be fixed for the next version, fair annoying every single time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Biggest problem for me is the goalkeepers. They're simply abysmal. In saying that Joe Hart was unbeatable in seasons mode against city. Amazing saves.

Good to see them making a big deal out of fixing that in PES 2017. First touch was an issue too so also good to see that getting a makeover of sorts. I read one review this morning saying that not everyone will like the changes and the gameplay is slightly slower but a lot can change before release.

• Advertisement

I hadn't played it in months, GK's sucked, but then played it recently and they looked to have improved, but one on ones are insanely in the strikers favour. I also don't like the way how the ball floats into the net on one on one shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Like many here I was a diehard ProEvo man for near a decade, but somewhere around 2011 I converted over to FIFA. Got nearly every incarnation of it from then on, but just got bored of it recently. Something about it is just very samey, and it wasn’t very enjoyable anymore. Any matches against the computer were boring as hell (I also found the gap in difficulty levels way to big, for example one setting would be too easy and move up to the next and its way too hard) and the online experience is just full of d1cks who use the same tactics to beat you.

Switched over to ProEvo as heard good things about PES 2016, and so far impressed after a few weeks. It really does feel more like a proper game experience and playing against the computer is very enjoyable. Haven’t even gone near the online games yet but will try them soon. Something about the way you have to play to succeed just seems far more closer to the real thing than how you have to play in FIFA to succeed (which seems to be do one of maybe 3 different set of tactics and you’ll get there). The goalkeepers are a bit dodgy alright, I’m not even sure that its too easy to beat them more the way the animation has been done for them to dive that makes it look like they aren’t trying their hardest ha ha.

Like many here I was a diehard ProEvo man for near a decade, but somewhere around 2011 I converted over to FIFA. Got nearly every incarnation of it from then on, but just got bored of it recently. Something about it is just very samey, and it wasn’t very enjoyable anymore. Any matches against the computer were boring as hell (I also found the gap in difficulty levels way to big, for example one setting would be too easy and move up to the next and its way too hard) and the online experience is just full of d1cks who use the same tactics to beat you.

Switched over to ProEvo as heard good things about PES 2016, and so far impressed after a few weeks. It really does feel more like a proper game experience and playing against the computer is very enjoyable. Haven’t even gone near the online games yet but will try them soon. Something about the way you have to play to succeed just seems far more closer to the real thing than how you have to play in FIFA to succeed (which seems to be do one of maybe 3 different set of tactics and you’ll get there). The goalkeepers are a bit dodgy alright, I’m not even sure that its too easy to beat them more the way the animation has been done for them to dive that makes it look like they aren’t trying their hardest ha ha.

I'm back from the UK since last night after having a hands on 7 hour session with PES 2017! It's a belter so far, goalies fixed, refs fixed, passing slower and defenders really overpowered! Like a different game from different developers

Google pesuniverse to see my impressions on full detail of you guys want, won't post here by any questions you have are prob answered in the post.

Of course ask away as well here ðŸ‘

Think '17 will include anything else besides improving on the gameplay?
    I don't know how the Edit Mode is in '16 as I haven't played it but I used to love it back on the PS2 days, from being able to make your own jerseys,crests, sponsors etc. Was class, I'd love it if they have a more detailed Edit Mode and bring back the create a stadium option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I'd say a lot of work will be focused on MyClub. Like it or not that's the way football games are going.

UT and MyClub will both bring in fair amounts of cash after the game is sold. It's a publisher's dream. There will be small improvements to offline modes i'd say but the main focus will be MyClub and gameplay

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    Think '17 will include anything else besides improving on the gameplay?
    I don't know how the Edit Mode is in '16 as I haven't played it but I used to love it back on the PS2 days, from being able to make your own jerseys,crests, sponsors etc. Was class, I'd love it if they have a more detailed Edit Mode and bring back the create a stadium option.

You could import kits quite easily the only negative was you were limited on the amount you could import. I doubt you could import all the teams in the PL & championship never mind the international ones. Definitely something that could be improved on in 2017. As well as squad/transfer updates.
    I preferred pes to fifa the last few years but just don't find myself dipping back in & out as much.

ERG89 wrote: »
    You could import kits quite easily the only negative was you were limited on the amount you could import. I doubt you could import all the teams in the PL & championship never mind the international ones. Definitely something that could be improved on in 2017. As well as squad/transfer updates.
    I preferred pes to fifa the last few years but just don't find myself dipping back in & out as much.

Konami really f*cked up in terms of updating there squads with '16, hopefully they cop on with '17.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Google pesuniverse to see my impressions on full detail of you guys want, won't post here by any questions you have are prob answered in the post.

Of course ask away as well here ðŸ‘

Tried to read your preview there and its black writing on blue background, can't read it. Thats on desktop. Clicked out of straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Konami have confirmed that the new game will have proper option files on PS4. You can share created teams/players via USB stick.

I hope they increase the image capacity too.

http://winningelevenblog.com/blog/pes-2017-option-file-sharing-confirmed-for-ps4/

Advertisement