Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics upgrade or just go for a new build?

Options
  • 19-05-2016 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭

Hello friends!

I've had my system for around 6 years now I think, graphic wise it's starting to show its age. Is it worth just updating the graphics or go for a new build? I don't mind going high end, the use I've got out of this computer has been immense. I have a high end aftermarket cooler which is compatible with Skylakes socket and also a high end PSU I can use.

i7 920
    Asus P6T Deluxe v2
    GTX 480
    6GB DDR 3
    74GB Intel SSD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

this was very nearly my last build but the i5-2500k came out just as I received that mobo and chip so I sent it back.
    I was in the same pickle as you late last year with my 6970 so I just bought a new card as there are studies showing that the 2500k is not a bottleneck and is still a very usable chip comparable to some newer ones.
    So I currently have a 390 running a HTC Vive with no issues and I think others on here are doing the same so I would say that your chip is still good for a year or two and just get a Nvidia 1070 GPU when it comes out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I think it's time. With the new nVidia cards out in a few weeks, it's a good time to be thinking about an upgrade.
    Digital has a post here with a build that might peak your interest. Fill out the template anyway from the stickies, or sidebar on the new layout (i'm using the old layout so i may be wrong in where that thread is) and we'll put something together.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You'd manage with the i7 depending on the games you play, but a full build is on the cards in the near future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Depends on the upgrade, something like a GTX1080 would obviously hit a ceiling due to the slower architecture, but a strong mid-range card would largely be OK if you apply a generous overclock to that processor.

Something like a 2nd hand R9 290 for about €200-220, or GTX970 for about €250 would keep you going very nicely until a whole new system is on the cards.

At present, despite it's age the i7-920 is bottlenecked badly by the GTX480. Personally I would OC it to 3.4Ghz if you have a good cooler and get one of the cards mentioned above, will be a massive upgrade. At stock speeds it does present more of a bottleneck.

I had an i7-880 and at 3Ghz it was still getting through Fallout 4, which can be a cpu killer, just fine with a R9 280X.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I had a i7 920 over clocked to 4GHz but upgraded the processor to a hexa core Xeon x5660 which is over clocked to 4.2GHz and in benchmarks it scores only about 150 points below the i7 990x which is the best CPU for the x58 system you and I are on.

So yeah you will get away with just upgrading the GPU or even upgrading to a ex server Xeon which can be got on eBay for 80 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll get a second hand card from adverts like yous suggested and let it hold me over till a new build is really needed. I had the CPU overclocked to around 3.9Ghz since new, till only a few weeks ago when it randomly reset itself, I'll have to check it carefully as I'd say the motherboard was the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Reset itself in that the BIOS lost settings? That might be as simple as the CMOS battery being close to dead. Which wouldn't surprise me on a 6 year old machine too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Reset itself in that the BIOS lost settings? That might be as simple as the CMOS battery being close to dead. Which wouldn't surprise me on a 6 year old machine too much.
    Bit late but this was all that was wrong.

Anyways it's been a few months and I want to upgrade the main parts of my build. Time to give it some life.

I live on the border so I do have access to a UK shipping address so I can use UK websites.

I need a:

CPU - Intel Core i5 6400 (intend to overclock)
    MOBO - Asus ROG Z170 Maximus VIII Ranger or Asus H170 PRO GAMING
    RAM -
    SSD - Looking for 400GB+
    CASE - Corsair Obsidian 750D (huge fan of this case, I have a Lian Li P80 atm but it's taken its hits over the years and I need to upgrade)

Budget isn't an issue, I do overclock a bit. But I'm not a big enthusiast. Case and motherboards needs to be USB 3, which I hope most are by this stage :pac:

Any advice is much appreciated, sadly don't keep up to date with the PC component world these days.

FYI parts I will keep: Current GPU SAPPHIRE TRI-X R9 290X
    Enermax 850 Watt PSU
    High end Noctua CPU cooler, I'll get a bracket that will work for current CPU sockets. They give them out for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Can't overclock the 6400, so no point in a Z170 imo.

You don't need to oc current i5s, at the stage where overclocking makes a difference you were better getting an i7 from the start

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Bit late but this was all that was wrong.

Anyways it's been a few months and I want to upgrade the main parts of my build. Time to give it some life.

I live on the border so I do have access to a UK shipping address so I can use UK websites.

I need a:

CPU - Intel Core i5 6400 (intend to overclock)
    MOBO - Asus ROG Z170 Maximus VIII Ranger or Asus H170 PRO GAMING
    RAM -
    SSD - Looking for 400GB+
    CASE - Corsair Obsidian 750D (huge fan of this case, I have a Lian Li P80 atm but it's taken its hits over the years and I need to upgrade)

Budget isn't an issue, I do overclock a bit. But I'm not a big enthusiast. Case and motherboards needs to be USB 3, which I hope most are by this stage :pac:

Any advice is much appreciated, sadly don't keep up to date with the PC component world these days.

FYI parts I will keep: Current GPU SAPPHIRE TRI-X R9 290X
    Enermax 850 Watt PSU
    High end Noctua CPU cooler, I'll get a bracket that will work for current CPU sockets. They give them out for free.

I'm in pretty much the same situation as you having just upgraded to a 1070 for my trusty old i7 920 system, so need a new CPU, mobo and ram but with kabylake just around the corner I think waiting until 2017 is the best move.

• Advertisement
Advertisement