Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a new gaming PC gaming rig for 1000

Options
  • 19-05-2016 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hey everyone, first time posting so I am not sure if this is the eight thread and if someone could move it, or tell me how, I would love to comply :D.

Right so, I want a gaming desktop, ainly for games like Dawn of War 3, Rome 2, Mount and Blade 3, and Arma 3. Also total warhammer (shudders inwardly at the thought of what happened to the series).
    I will have 1000 euro set aside just for the tower itself. No need to worry bouth Keyboard, monitor etc....,
    Now I know most of you will say build a PC, and if someone could tell me if I really would save more, the tools i would need etc... Sidenote: i might give it a bash but I'm pretty clueless as these things go. If I build a desktop how much does an operating system cost.
    I have heard that most prebuild systems are terrible (IE Alienware) Id someone could tell me if there are any good ones for my needs that would be great.
    Again I'm pretty clueless as these things go so please keep the tech speak to a minimum or maybe be kind enough to explain what you mean.

thanks very much for readying this and I am sure that Balthor, the god of gaming that i just made up, will shine on you.
    PS... Balthor is a penguin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You need a screwdriver and the motor skills of a 5 year old, or a steady handed monkey.

We can give you a full list of parts to buy, links if that's handier and you order and stick it all together, it's like expensive lego, and by far the most cost effective way to buy a PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bUghCx9iso

30 minute video, some building, some explanation and some recommendations so it won't even take that to learn how to build one, there are hundreds of guides on YT.

Have a look at that and see if you think you can build one yourself.

OS can be free, €15-20 or €135 or so, depending on how legit you care it is. I think you know the free one, the cheap ones are Dev keys basically. They're keys but not totally clean ones, the expensive ones are straight from MS.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 BeardedNomad

So like, what type of monkey is it. Like i could probably match wild monkey but then there college monkeys with tgat fancy sign speaking would be to mich muchfor me :)

A list of parts would be great. Im sire i could figure out where to go to find them. Software i can be really flexible with :)
    I don't need any special glues for the desktop. Someone told me before i might.

Ya that video seems pretty comprehensive and i googled it and it seems pretty easy to do. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

So like, what type of monkey is it. Like i could probably match wild monkey but then there college monkeys with tgat fancy sign speaking would be to mich muchfor me :)

A list of parts would be great. Im sire i could figure out where to go to find them. Software i can be really flexible with :)
    I don't need any special glues for the desktop. Someone told me before i might.

Ya that video seems pretty comprehensive and i googled it and it seems pretty easy to do. :)

You won't need any glue. They might have been thinking about thermal paste but even that isn't essential as most coolers come with some pre-applied.

There's more than one type?

i5 6500 €200
    H150 board €70
    8gb DDR4 RAM €40
    500w PSU €60
    GTX 1070 €350 (roughly, I'll leave some leeway in case its higher)
    Nanoxia DS3 €70
    250gb SSD €70
    1t HDD €50
    Total €910

Windows will push you a little over for a full MS License. Hopefully the 1070 will only be about €375 max

You can get an i5 6400 for about €170 if you need to drop €30 or so.

That's about it, I'd try to stay in and around those prices for general quality parts, they're fairly average prices though so go a bit lower if there's the option to.

If you need any more help or want brand recommendations ask away, or any other general queries, there are no stupid questions.

Our top three sites would be mindfactory.de, computeruniverse.net or amazon. Overclockers and Scan are good too.

Don't forget the post links here for inspection.

*edit* forgot you can't post links but make stick a space into it at the start and we'll work it

Thermal paste will be already applied to the cooler of your CPU as AlmightyCushion has said, that's probably what the guy was on about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Building can be a lot of fun and is quite easy too. Honestly, it's a bit like Lego.

I built my first custom PC last year for the first time since the mid 90's and it was a very simple process. My advice if you're not too sure on where to start is to watch some Youtube videos, maybe some where like LinusTechTips and watch the How to Build videos.

If you don't want to build yourself, the only company I can truly recommend for the best value is Overclockers.co.uk. Keep in mind you will pay more for a prebuilt PC, but Overclockers are still the best for it in my opinion.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Moved to PC Building & Upgrading

i5 6500 €200
    H150 board €70
    8gb DDR4 RAM €40
    500w PSU €60
    GTX 1070 €350 (roughly, I'll leave some leeway in case its higher)
    Nanoxia DS3 €70
    250gb SSD €70
    1t HDD €50

Thanks mate thats exactly what i was looking for. I'll shop aroind and get the best prices.
    I keep seeing parts that are "overclocked" what does that mean and are they better than normal.
    On regards to cases and optical drives will any do ie cheapest or ks there a reason for sich a variety in prices.

Thanks a lot mate

If you create a wishlist of your parts on geizhals.eu you'll be able to get a list of what to buy from what store to get the best prices in total.

It means they're clocked to run at a higher speed basically, all RAM and GPUs can be over clocked anyways, its just saying you a little trouble.

Most opticals are cheap enough, a solid Samsung DVD writer is only like €15 anyways, Blu Ray is a good bit higher. Windows can be installed from USB so theyre optional.

As per cases, there's a big variance between quality of cases, its not all aesthetic. The Nanoxia I mentioned is a big case, easy to build in, solid as a rock and has sound proofing so the PC isn't as loud. Some cases have better sound proofing or more room, some are more cramped with flimsy build quality. You can pick a cheap case if you need, but a case can last for 2-3 full builds, so a good one is a good investment imo

Intel Core i5-6600K 4 core (Octo Core) CPU with 3.50 GHz €255
    Gigabyte B150M-DS3H LGA1151 uATX €75
    Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR4 Kit 4GBx2 DDR4 2666 €35
    Inter-Tech Netzteil SL-500 500W €22
    MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G 4 GB OC High End graphics card €340
    Nanoxia Deep Silence 3 schallgedämmt schwarz €77
    Samsung SSD 750 EVO Series 250GB €76
    Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB, 7200U/min, SATA3, 3.5" €51
    Total €931

Is there a difference between a HDD and just an optical drive?
    All prices are rounded up to nearest whole euro and I went to ComputerUniverse for all products.
    is that a good price for what i'm getting. Are the brands good and do they all work together?

Thanks again for all your help guys :D

• Advertisement

Also I looked at Amazon UK but the Pound to Euro conversion seems to add a lot and Does the american Amazon charge a lot for delivery?

Drop the CPU to an i5 6400 or 6500, get a better PSU. Seasonic, EVGA, Corsair and BeQuiet all make good PSUs.

Optical drives are generally referred to as DVD drives

The american amazon will add ~23% on due to taxes

The 1070 is well over twice as fast as a 970 and won't be much more expensive when it launches, definitely wait for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Also I looked at Amazon UK but the Pound to Euro conversion seems to add a lot and Does the american Amazon charge a lot for delivery?

Amazon will usually be more expensive (~10%) and AmazonUS will be astronomically more expensive. Plus, it's harder to find sellers on Amazon that ship to Ireland. Brands like Corsair, NZXT, amd nearly EVERY GPU manufacturer don't ship here on Amazon.

In terms of your build it's looking solid, but you gotta clean up some things first. I would hold off the GTX 1070, as not only will it's price be driven up by demand, it still has yet to be benchmarked.
    1) That PSU is garbage. The PSU is the lifeline of your PC, so treat it as the highest priority item. SeaSonic, XFX, beQuiet, Cooler Master, Corsair (avoid the Cx And Cs series)
    2) Your CPU is expensive. It's not bad, but you can save money by dropping it to a 6400. You can't overclock it anyway on that motherboard, so save the cash.
    3) Don't pay €340 for the GTX 970, when the €305 R9 390 from PowerColor beats it in every game (and will outperform it in Total Warhammer)
    4) Is the Motherboard you chose DDR4 compatible? Business boards don't always come with DDR4 support, and this can damage the longevity of your CPU.
    5) Optical drives are how you play DVDs and discs. These are going out of use these days, as most cases are leaving the space from them out.
    Good storage options, put your OS on the SSD, for maximum speed.

Don't worry, these are minor things that crop up when building, and that's why these forums are useful to consult first.
    If you have any questions, ask away!

I'd still atleast wait for the 1070 benches. It mightn't trump two 980s like nVidia claim but at worst it'll be 50% more powerful than a 970 by that standard imo.

All right so I got some brand names and some other great advice there. I didn't realize that the 1070 was new. I have to imagine that would drive up the price of it.
    I absolutely hate when amazon won't deliver to Ireland but they will the UK as if were so far away. :D

EoinMac how do i know if a DDR4 and motherboard are compatible?

I'm going to go look at the prices of some of the suggestions and fix up the build. Then, because i desperately need all of your approval :D, i will post it back here :D thanks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

All right so I got some brand names and some other great advice there. I didn't realize that the 1070 was new. I have to imagine that would drive up the price of it.
    I absolutely hate when amazon won't deliver to Ireland but they will the UK as if were so far away. :D

EoinMac how do i know if a DDR4 and motherboard are compatible?

I'm going to go look at the prices of some of the suggestions and fix up the build. Then, because i desperately need all of your approval :D, i will post it back here :D thanks.

Check the specifications. That one only supports DDR3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Parcel Motel! Buying the innards from Mindfactory would probably be cheaper anyway, but if there's ever a single item that you need from Amazon which they won't deliver - Parcel Motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

I'd still atleast wait for the 1070 benches. It mightn't trump two 980s like nVidia claim but at worst it'll be 50% more powerful than a 970 by that standard imo.

Me too, but having seen the 1080, and it's performance boost coming purely from the node jump, I'm expecting between 980-980Ti performance. Plus, 1080 lacks A-Sync, so will this be bad for Total Warhammer (which will be using DX12 a week after launch)?
    Huang's CEO math was the highlight of the stream for me, that and the word IRRESPONSIBLE XD

EVGA Netzteil ATX 600 Watt €50
    i5-6500 4 core CPU 3.20GHz €203
    Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H (is this a goodMotherboard) €85
    TOTAL: 917

Hey we managed to bring down the price.

Just a few questions on my newest prototype build.
    Is MSI Graphics card a good brand?
    Is Cruicial Ballistix a good DDR4?
    Since many people don't use DVD drives anymore should I bother with one?
    Did I forget about anything?
    Will I need to get a wifi card, I heard something about one, what are they exactly?

thanks guys.

As an aside I saw some videos of Total War Warhammer and I think it looks pretty good. What do you guys think.

It will be a while for me to get the money together so I will be looking into the 1070 when I get it this is just for now.

EVGA Netzteil ATX 600 Watt €50
    i5-6500 4 core CPU 3.20GHz €203
    Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H (is this a goodMotherboard) €85
    TOTAL: 917

Hey we managed to bring down the price.

Just a few questions on my newest prototype build.
    Is MSI Graphics card a good brand?
    Is Cruicial Ballistix a good DDR4?
    Since many people don't use DVD drives anymore should I bother with one?
    Did I forget about anything?
    Will I need to get a wifi card, I heard something about one, what are they exactly?

thanks guys.

As an aside I saw some videos of Total War Warhammer and I think it looks pretty good. What do you guys think.

It will be a while for me to get the money together so I will be looking into the 1070 when I get it this is just for now.

MSI are sound
    Ballistix are sound
    No DVD drive unless you'll use it
    Let's the PC connect to WiFi, use homeplugs instead

There's a thread for Warhammer I'm fairly sure, there's only like 8 regs here so you mightnt get many opinions. Use isthereanydeal for prices

• Advertisement

Thanks found that after I posted this.
    Thanks thats great. Otherwise its a good build though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I bought my pc last week for TW Warhammer.

Can't wait!

Its a good build, you'll play pretty much everything at 1080p60 for the rest of this year at least, if you're not a graphics whore you could last 2-3 years before upgrading the GPU

Advertisement