Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord bia inspection.

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

kowtow wrote: »
    Don't forget to make sure the inspector uses the antiseptic boot washing facility on arrival.

And note that there is no maximum depth specified for such a boot wash.
    What happens if he can't swim? :)
    Sam Kade wrote: »
    Around 6 feet should cover most inspectors :)
    I wonder could we gunter up a foot dip over a 6ft tank, imagine a 5 gallon drum or a half beer keg with a false bottom.
    I heard today of a lad that's been locked up with TB for a while, the dept suggested that he disinfect the contractor's silage harvester before he came in. FFS what next.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

blue5000 wrote: »
    disinfect the contractor's silage harvester before he came in. FFS what next.

Maybe a bit ott but to be bio secure you'd want an underbody truck wash for everything coming into the yard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭jfh

where did ye pick up the first aid kit?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,194 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

jfh wrote: »
    Got mine on magenta direct

• Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭orm0nd

audit last week checker to see that it had eye drops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

orm0nd wrote: »

audit last week checker to see that it had eye drops

+1 - my kit had none- have bought separate drops this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭jfh

i have done the sprayer course, cant remember if i got a booklet to fill in.
    is this needed for bord bia cert?

i use herdwatch on phone but still using blue book(just to be extra safe)
    it has 3 reports for bord bia,
    remedy usage
    remedy purchases
    feed purchases
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

+1 - my kit had none- have bought separate drops this year

I've never had a lad check the first aid kit yet. If they are at it, remember everything bar rhe scissors has a expiry date, including sterile bandages.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

I really think this is starting to get ridiculous. Last fella I got was a dick. Had a jealous head on him the minute he came in. I went from a 99% score the last time, and the reason it wasn't 100% was that the auditor imputed that I hadn't a map of the rat poison but I had. He couldn't change it on the computer so I got -1%. Anyway this time I got a fail. And there was no talking to yer man. Started whining on that he had a job to do and small children and a house to pay for. Doesn't everyone???
    Anyway, I think it's just turned into a business that makes up SWS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Cattlepen wrote: »
    I really think this is starting to get ridiculous. Last fella I got was a dick. Had a jealous head on him the minute he came in. I went from a 99% score the last time, and the reason it wasn't 100% was that the auditor imputed that I hadn't a map of the rat poison but I had. He couldn't change it on the computer so I got -1%. Anyway this time I got a fail. And there was no talking to yer man. Started whining on that he had a job to do and small children and a house to pay for. Doesn't everyone???
    Anyway, I think it's just turned into a business that makes up SWS

Have to agree with you there.
    The general idea of QA was/is probably a good one but it hasn't delivered any concrete results for farmers.It just imposes another layer of meaningless paperwork and box ticking on farmers to benefit those to whom we sell our produce.
    Think I read somewhere recently that QA only makes a difference in 4 to 6% of sales of produce.
    Farmers can see no tangible results from a scheme that has become more and more out of touch over the past few years.You would nearly think that they are looking for something to justify their existence with all this insistence on first aid kit/safety notice's etc .Could anyone explain what either of those ,and a myriad of other things,have to do with food safety or production?

On my last inspection got a letter about 2 months before the inspection outlining the 3 different things that I "lost marks" on in the preceding audit.
    They were;no Bord Bia sign on farm entrance;no footbath/disinfection point for visitors;putting down length of time eg 14 days,instead of date eg 20th October,on remedies withdrawl record.
    Sorted all the above and pointed out these to "inspector".After he spent 5 minutes in yard,never looked at stock,and an hour looking at paperwork he decided that my A score was 100% B 90 something % and C score 79%.
    Asked him why and his answer was that they couldn't really give anyone 100% in everything.In other words they just look for new and/or different ways to keep you on your toes.Bit of a joke really.
    Only for the 10 cent on lambs wouldn't bother with it.Cattle here are in BB scheme as well but for the amount of them wouldn't be arsed and its easier to just ignore BB with them to be honest.

Have no problem with a proper independent quality assurance scheme but no the mickey mouse version we have here where farmers are compliant but processors pick and choose the bits that suit them( and lets be honest when cattle or lambs are scarce BB goes out the window) is just window dressing.Its relevance to food safety and standards of production is remote to say the least.
    Do Bord Bia not have an overall policy of a 5% failure rate to justify their"exacting" standards?

Not complaining about the actual audits as they should be ,in the vast majority of cases,a piece of p*ss to pass but rather the pointless nature of the whole exercise.
    But for anyone unfortunate to fail(or in my case a few years ago forget that my certification had run out) in can be costly esp at the wrong time of year.
    Mine lapsed one June and only when factory complained that my lambs were not QA did I realise it was out of date.
    Sold one lot of lambs in the interm before inspection but for someone who fails and then cannot apply for 6 months(think that was or maybe still is the rule)it could be very costly esp if it was a time they were selling a lot of stock.Think dairy farmers had 14 days to rectify their problems after an inspection but in the meantime the milk was still QA .Bit unfair?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

Cattle tags all present.
    My fella seemed to have access to vets records, cos he found a missing entry in meds book - ie found meds prescribed, not entered - would that be right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭OverRide

oldsmokey wrote: »
    Cattle tags all present.
    My fella seemed to have access to vets records, cos he found a missing entry in meds book - ie found meds prescribed, not entered - would that be right?

He doesn't,didn't and couldn't have access to your vets prescription records

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

oldsmokey wrote: »
    Cattle tags all present.

Did you have an antibiotic in the medicine box that wasn't entered in the records, don't think bord bia can request vets records

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

rangler1 wrote: »
    Did you have an antibiotic in the medicine box that wasn't entered in the records, don't think bord bia can request vets records
    I suppose that was it, good to know he cant access vets records, thanks .

Advertisement