Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Insurance - They require copy of tax disc?

Options
  • 13-05-2016 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Have searched around the threads this morning and can't find anything covering this.

My policy was up for renewal (old one ran out last night) so I switched to another insurer yesterday and chose to pay by installments, and so paid the deposit up front.
    On the phone they told me they'd need a copy of the front & back of the licence and a copy of No Claims Bonus cert inside the next 10 days before they would send out the new Insurance Cert. No problem, will supply those I said.
    However, when they emailed out my 'Policy Pack' as they called it, later on yesterday it also lists that they require a copy of a current tax disc.
    Problem is, the car is not currently taxed, and I can't afford to tax it inside the 10 days they require to send it in to them by.
    Also, as far as I'm aware, I can't tax my car without an insurance policy?

In all the years I've been driving, I've never been asked for a copy of tax disc. NCT yes, but never tax disc.
    I'm in a right mind to cancel this policy inside the cooling off period and switch to another insurer who does not require a copy of tax disc. In fact, I might have no other option but to do so as I am won't be in a position to tax the car for a few weeks yet.

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,265 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Most likely they are now checking the car for valid NCT and Tax at time of quote and this was flagged that your car didn't have current tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

I have never been asked for that either but a friend of mine has. His car had recently been bought by him and I think it was a way for the Insurance company to verify he actually owned the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Rogue_IRL wrote: »
    Have searched around the threads this morning and can't find anything covering this.

My policy was up for renewal (old one ran out last night) so I switched to another insurer yesterday and chose to pay by installments, and so paid the deposit up front.
    On the phone they told me they'd need a copy of the front & back of the licence and a copy of No Claims Bonus cert inside the next 10 days before they would send out the new Insurance Cert. No problem, will supply those I said.
    However, when they emailed out my 'Policy Pack' as they called it, later on yesterday it also lists that they require a copy of a current tax disc.
    Problem is, the car is not currently taxed, and I can't afford to tax it inside the 10 days they require to send it in to them by.
    Also, as far as I'm aware, I can't tax my car without an insurance policy?

In all the years I've been driving, I've never been asked for a copy of tax disc. NCT yes, but never tax disc.
    I'm in a right mind to cancel this policy inside the cooling off period and switch to another insurer who does not require a copy of tax disc. In fact, I might have no other option but to do so as I am won't be in a position to tax the car for a few weeks yet.

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

As Atlantic Dawn said, its likely a control mechanism, I can see it becoming more popular with insurers too.

You don't have to tax your car annually so can you afford the price of it for 3 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Rogue_IRL

I will only be taxing it for 3 months when I do, thing is, it's the few months back tax that's making it prohibitively expensive for me just right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

Seems a bit strange to me. I have often insured cars TPFT that were off the road simply for fire & theft purposes while waiting to put them back on the road. :confused: Wouldn't expect to be refused over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

millington wrote: »
    Seems a bit strange to me. I have often insured cars TPFT that were off the road simply for fire & theft purposes while waiting to put them back on the road. :confused: Wouldn't expect to be refused over it.

generally these days insurance companies will not cover vehicles that are not NCT compliant at the point of taking out the insurance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

OP living up to his name.

BoatMad wrote: »
    generally these days insurance companies will not cover vehicles that are not NCT compliant at the point of taking out the insurance

What has the NCT got to do with tax?

The car is NCT'd, just not taxed currently.
    Was refused per se, just according to their email they sent yesterday they won't issue Insurance Cert without first receiving a copy of licence, No Claims Bonus cert & current Tax Disc. Was expecting them to require licence & no claims bonus anyways (as they requested on the phone), but what bugs me is that I was only made aware they required a copy of a current tax disc AFTER they took payment for the deposit on the policy.

Also, what equally bugs me is that I can't now tax the car without an insurance policy anyways.
    So they have left me completely between two stools...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

eezipc wrote: »
    ...a way for the Insurance company to verify he actually owned the car.

You know, I expect it probably is, because it does absolutely no such thing, nor even a reasonable attempt at it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

Rogue_IRL wrote:
    Also, what equally bugs me is that I can't now tax the car without an insurance policy anyways. So they have left me completely between two stools...

Just tax it online. When it asks for instance policy number just type in 123456 or similar. I always do that as couldn't be bothered going to look at the disc or find the cert. Doesn't reference it against anything.

Also, what equally bugs me is that I can't now tax the car without an insurance policy anyways.
    So they have left me completely between two stools...

Yes you can. Fill in absolutely anything in the insurance section. Mumbo jumbo, even write NO INSURANCE. It makes no odds whatsoever

Not strictly true Millington, the local motor tax office require the insurance policy details before they will tax a vehicle.
    I will be taxing this vehicle for the first time since I bought it.

Also, if it is required just as a means to verify that I actually own the car, could I not supply them with a copy of the front page of the logbook instead?

Also, if it is required just as a means to verify that I actually own the car, could I not supply them with a copy of the front page of the logbook instead?

a logbook you didn't have ...... at the time.

They just check via ANPR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

could I not supply them with a copy of the front page of the logbook instead?
    NO.
    You'll also need a letter from your priest/rabbi/whatever and a letter on headed paper from your local Xtravision confirming that you have never been late returning a video, or rented anything more extreme than a PG rating.

It's about your moral fibre more than anything else. It's for your own good.

eezipc wrote: »
    I have never been asked for that either but a friend of mine has. His car had recently been bought by him and I think it was a way for the Insurance company to verify he actually owned the car.
    jimgoose wrote: »
    You know, I expect it probably is, because it does absolutely no such thing, nor even a reasonable attempt at it. :pac:
    a logbook you didn't have ...... at the time.

They just check via ANPR

I don't follow, I have the logbook in my name sitting on the desk in front of me...?

Sorry, about the multi-quote there in the previous post, only getting to grips with using Boards.ie
    Long time reader, first time poster....

Rogue_IRL, just hat are you complaining about , you were stopped , asked a few questions and allowed to continue on your way with a warning to get the car taxed

what is the issue

• Advertisement

am I reading some of these posts wrong?

Is this the story? his Ins Co want a copy of a tax disc he doesn't have..... nought to do with gards or NCT

Rogue_IRL, just hat are you complaining about , you were stopped , asked a few questions and allowed to continue on your way with a warning to get the car taxed

what is the issue

Don't think you've read the original post BoatMad ;)

Not strictly true Millington, the local motor tax office require the insurance policy details before they will tax a vehicle.

you can tax an uninsured car online as described for 3 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Don't think you've read the original post BoatMad ;)

b61.gif

you can tax an uninsured car online as described for 3 months

When I tried to tax the car online a couple weeks back it wouldn't let me and said I'd need to do it in person as it was my first time taxing the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

I had taken a car off the road about 1.5 years ago, eventually sold it.

Anyway, got a small car back in March (a 98 Nissan Micra).

AXA said no bother to insuring it (3rd party F&T).

I had to supply the following:

1) Copy of my driving licence & also my wife's licence (she is named driver).
    2) Copy of NCT Disc, it's NCTed until end of July'16.
    3) My NCB letter from previous insurer.
    4) Copy of car registration showing car is indeed in my name & also with my address on it.
    5) A letter from my wife's current insurer stating how long I was a named driver on her policy & details any claims i.e. Named Driving Experience letter.

Once I emailed all those off to them they dispatched the insurance disc to me (took 10 days). In the meantime they gave me the policy number which allowed me to tax my car online.

Simple.....for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

When I tried to tax the car online a couple weeks back it wouldn't let me and said I'd need to do it in person as it was my first time taxing the car.

Once the car is registered in your name you can retrieve the pin online from the Motor Tax website and then proceed to tax the car. I've done that for my current car and last few cars including my wife's when taxing for the first time.

laoisfan wrote: »
    Once the car is registered in your name you can retrieve the pin online from the Motor Tax website and then proceed to tax the car. I've done that for my current car and last few cars including my wife's when taxing for the first time.

Already tried that Laoisfan but it wouldn't allow me to get the PIN as the car is expired more than 3mths...

Fill in anything. Use your old policy number, anything at all once the box is filled

• Advertisement

millington wrote: »
    Fill in anything. Use your old policy number, anything at all once the box is filled

Can't tax car online Millington as tax is expired more than 3 mths and so I have to pay in person at local tax office where they look for a copy of insurance cert.

Advertisement