Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling While Pregnant

• 11-05-2016 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi there,

I'm a complete newbie to posting on Boards. I've been reading this forum for ages but never posted on it and I'm hoping for some advise please.

I've been cycling a round trip of 30KM for the past 3 years and it's the only form of exercise that I actually enjoy. I cycle regardless of the weather, so all year round, and I don't think I could ever drive into work again as I just find it too depressing.

It takes me approx 40 minutes on a average day to get into work through Dublin City Centre (15KM) and on a good day 35 minutes. But if needs be I could take it easier and maybe stretch it out to 50 minutes.

I have a 4 year old son and just found out today that I'm pregnant with our second (6 weeks - YAY!!).

I really don't want to stop cycling and would be absolutely heart broken if I had to stop. i know eventually I'll get too big and I'll have to stop but I would like to cycle upto about 7 months. I absolutely hate the thought of people staring at me judging me - most motorists dislike cyclists anyway, but I think if they seen a pregnant cyclist they would think I was being irresponsible - am I being irresponsible??

Has anyone any advise that they can tell me about this. I've done a lot of reading about this and its not advisable to cycle while pregnant. Some of the articles really scared me but I thought that I would be fine since I have been doing this for so long now... but now I don't know. Can anyone please help?

Sorry, I know I never post here, but really would appreciate some advise.

Thanks a million
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Not a woman but from a health point of view seems a bit risky to me. If you have a little tumble which would normally be fine it could be trouble. Note, I know absolutely nothing about pregnancy etc so advice is probably useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 fuzzycycle

Thanks very much for your reply.

I've come off bike twice in the past 3 years. Once was knocked over by 2 pedestrians dodging through traffic and another time car door opened knocking me off. Car door one was pretty serious. i would consider myself extremely cautious and extremely aware of my surroundings - but these things can still happen. Husband is motorcyclist so have been brainwashed on road craft over the years, but I know these things can happen.

I understand what you're saying. Thanks for your feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Firstly congratulations, secondly IMHO, its the same as any activity while pregnant there is a risk associated to the baby if you take a tumble. I would hate to read on here that a you experienced any trauma that caused an issue for you or the baby, while I too hate getting the train and prefer to cycle, for common sense reasons if it were my wife I would ask her to consider not cycling to work while pregnant.

Please dont think of me as a MCP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

Congrats on the good news! You might be interested in Suzie Mitchells (Irish Track Cyclist) book http://www.pregnancytopodium.com/ She wrote about her experiences of cycling/training while pregnant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭joey100

I was just passed this morning (in my car) by a female cyclist wearing a high vis vest that had 'Pregnant Lady' printed on the back of it. So you wouldn't be the only one doing it.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for all your feedback and taking the time to post your advise. I can totally get why people say I shouldn't do it - its a huge part of my life so it's really hard for me. I am getting depressed even thinking about it. I'll buy that book silvo, thanks so much. Also I've never seen one of those high vis vests joey100, so thanks for passing that onto me.

Thanks also to everyone else for posting. Lots to think about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

With our first son, my wife cycled daily until the 8th month and felt great. No complications, normal delivery, kid is fine and dandy :)

With the second one, she could not cycle past 3rd month, felt too weak and uncomfortable. Kid is also doing great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭C3PO

silvo wrote: »
    Congrats on the good news! You might be interested in Suzie Mitchells (Irish Track Cyclist) book http://www.pregnancytopodium.com/ She wrote about her experiences of cycling/training while pregnant.

I was going to suggest Suzie's book too!

Thanks Alek - first pregnancy I wasn't cycling at the time but had normal healthy pregnancy and didnt suffer with anything thank god. Had pently of energy. Am a bit older now but hoping because I now exercise daily that I'm in better shape, but I suppose I won't know until then next few months...

I'd say go for it. People have a funny idea that cycling is somehow more dangerous while at the same time not giving a second thought to driving the same journey.

As an aside, a cycling hostel I stayed in the alps in last year had a family of four including a heavily pregnant mother tackling long alpine climbs. And she was a doctor!

• Advertisement

alternativley you coud do what one of my sisters in law did, set up a tv in front an excercise bike (or get a turbo trainer), she cycled watching soaps/exfactor/the apprentice that she had sky plussed when the kids had gone to bed. btw, she wasnt pregnant just a busy working mother with little or no time to get in an hour or 2 on the bike!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You definitely won't be the only one. I know plenty of women who've kept cycling right through pregnancy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭C3PO

My other half skied while she was pregnant - our guide nearly had a heart attack! But she was careful and took it handy and our 13 year old son is a real natural on the snow now!! Go with what feels right to you .... you will probably be the best judge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I cycled while pregnant up to 38 weeks without any problems, my daughter was fine and my hospital encouraged me to keep exercising. I cycled on a hybrid and it was far more uncomfortable walking (waddling) while heavily pregnant. Unless your medical team tell you not to there is no particular reason to stop cycling. My commute was 10km each way in Dublin city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

I am a runner & as much as I wanted to keep going at about 16 weeks I just got too uncomfortable & had to stop & walk instead. Am 7 months now - wouldn't be considered 'massive' but anything more than a brisk walk & am puffed & couldn't imagine getting on a bike from about 20 weeks my balance would be all over the place. I am all for exercise during pregnancy but I'd be wary of the risk of falling / getting knocked off when doing those distances every day in busy traffic not so much in early days but certainly from 14/16 weeks. I get it you don't want to be on public transport though - is there any way you can maybe walk part of the way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

A Neighbour used to cycle until she was more than 7 months on Dublin bikes
    and another woman my wife knows cycled even later , she moved to Denmark since, where I'd imagine it'd be perfectly normal to cycle while pregnant. There'd probably be secure bike parking at maternity hospitals in Copenhagen...

Ask your doctor what the risks are, there's an awful lot of scaremongering on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

I cycled while pregnant up to 38 weeks without any problems, my daughter was fine and my hospital encouraged me to keep exercising. I cycled on a hybrid and it was far more uncomfortable walking (waddling) while heavily pregnant. Unless your medical team tell you not to there is no particular reason to stop cycling. My commute was 10km each way in Dublin city centre.

That's fantastic!!!!! never mind my advice above go with how you feel yourself :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I know several women who cycled through pregnancy (one cycled 200km a week until 7 months) and if it was me I would do the same. Do what is right for you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Be careful. My wife was advised not to cycle while pregnant by the doctor and hasn't touched the bike since.

Aww.... thanks a mill everyone for your feedback - I really do appreciate it. There isn't a chance I could walk part way to work. Only option I have is drive or cycle. I go from northside to southside. It would just be too long to walk. Only other option is the car and I just don't think I can face it...

NamelessPhil - that just sounds fantastic. My commute is 15KM each way through city centre. I think I'm more afraid of motorists looking at me thinking I'm putting my child a risk and being nasty to me.

Everyone I know has their own opinion on how they feel about this and I know in the end I'll do what I feel is right for my body, just the thoughts of getting out of shape is killing me. And then trying to start back again after baby is born will be so hard. I really do have to have a long think about this.

Thanks everyone for all your advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

fuzzycycle wrote: »
    Aww.... thanks a mill everyone for your feedback - I really do appreciate it. There isn't a chance I could walk part way to work. Only option I have is drive or cycle. I go from northside to southside. It would just be too long to walk. Only other option is the car and I just don't think I can face it...

NamelessPhil - that just sounds fantastic. My commute is 15KM each way through city centre. I think I'm more afraid of motorists looking at me thinking I'm putting my child a risk and being nasty to me.

Everyone I know has their own opinion on how they feel about this and I know in the end I'll do what I feel is right for my body, just the thoughts of getting out of shape is killing me. And then trying to start back again after baby is born will be so hard. I really do have to have a long think about this.

Thanks everyone for all your advice.

Welcome to parenting. No matter what you do, someone is gonna judge you.

Suzie's book is essential reading in this situation tbh.

Thanks Harrybelafonte - I already have a 4 year old so I do get that & know what people can be like about parenting. I will definitely get that book, thanks. I was just hoping to get from cyclists their opinion on whether they think it's unsafe to do so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Susie's book is great on this very topic! She won a world masters track cycling gold 6 weeks after giving birth and was squatting 80 kilos 8 months pregnant! Pregnancy also had the same effect as training at altitude on your body, so you'll be getting fitter even going slower :D
    You have no more chance of coming off/danger pregnant or not pregnant, and there's a really old fashioned, conservative view of pregnancy as a debilitating illness still. That said every woman is different and what works for one won't work for all! Susie's book is great for all that info, she really researched every detail of cycling pregnant.

You know yourself what feels right for you, the happier and healthier you are the better, and whatever helps that is what you have to go with!

There was that American runner lady who ran at the national champions 7 months pregnant, can't remember her name, 800m runner I think. Inspirational stuff!

Anyone judging you for cycling whilst pregnant days more about them than it does about you. Good luck!

Thanks Gadetra, that cheered me up!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Thanks Gadetra, that cheered me up!!! :)

The only risk I can think of is falling/accident, and I can't tell you if that risk is higher/lower than for walking/jogging etc.

Cycling, especially if you know your road craft, is very safe.

My own sister ran the Ballycotton 10 pregnant and was very active until pretty late in pregnancy.

Girl in my local gym would put most people to shame with what she was lifting during her pregnancy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

not completely up on the rules of boards but is pregnancy a medical condition and should advise surrounding it be offered ? this seems the type of question that the poster should go and speak to her health adviser on.

even if it's not this seems a question surrounding risk - seems a really dubious area to be offering any opinion on. I'm sure the poster has reservations or she wouldn't be asking here.

Sorry Taxuser1, maybe I shouldn't have posted here. Wouldn't have considered it a medical condition, but I could be wrong? Maybe I'll wait for mods to confirm? Apologies if I've posted something I shoudn't have (am new to this).

Thanks

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

OP is pregnant, not sick or injured. I don't see any problem with the thread at present.

Thanks Ford2600 also for your advise - they sound like amazing women!!
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Are you rhesus negative? If you are I would advise against cycling as any knock at all requires a shot or you can have difficulties with later pregnancies. I tripped in my kitchen, didn't bang the bump at all and the hospital had me in overnight and a shot even so to avoid any problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

Apart from Susie's book you will not find many (any?) health professionals advising anything other than extreme caution for a pregnant woman. This is understandable from their point of view.

As a randomer on the internet I would say to keep up the cycling until it gets either physically or mentally uncomfortable I would say.

I don't know what bike you use but if it's a road bike and gets uncomfortable a mountain bike might give you another few weeks as it's more upright.

And congratulations :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Probably not an issue from a medical point of view my wife continued until she was about 5 months gone she got too tired after that but still continued to power walk, jog and swim...her doctor never had an issue with any excerise she done.
    The only issue I would see would be getting knocked off your bike , Dublin is not most bike friendly city in the world....oh and don't worry about what other people think of you if you feel ok and are up to it I certainly wouldn't worry about other road users opinions.

Thanks guys,

I have a road bike, Giant Rapid2. I love my bike. I also have a KTM Hybird that I started on, but it's very heavy. Maybe if I get too uncomfortable on the road bike I can switch to that?

mirrorwall14 - I've no idea what blood type I am but I think I'm just pretty standard because I'm sure last time I was pregnant they would have told me if I had unusual blood type. Thanks for advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Thanks Ford2600 also for your advise - they sound like amazing women!!
    :)

Thank you for the antidote thread!

Oh and stopping caring so much what "people" might think.

You have your head screwed on you'll be fine

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind and maybe try not to focus on other people - but thye can be very unfriendly in Dublin City Centre - so thats enough, I'll stop now! Thanks

• Advertisement

Sorry Taxuser1, maybe I shouldn't have posted here. Wouldn't have considered it a medical condition, but I could be wrong? Maybe I'll wait for mods to confirm? Apologies if I've posted something I shoudn't have (am new to this).

Thanks

no need to apologise to me ! I wish you a fantastic pregnancy. Some will have gone through this with their partners and will know that its a worrying time for all sides !

i'd be risk averse though and unlike some here, would deem it a medical condition i.e. you go to a consultant, you take their advice and nature then takes care of the rest.

so I was only saying, that they should be your only guide to this. Not anyone here.

I know, but your most likely right. thanks a million for your advise. I will be attending GP within next couple of weeks and speak with him about it. Really, if he says I cant, then I'll have no choice :(

I know, but your most likely right. thanks a million for your advise. I will be attending GP within next couple of weeks and speak with him about it. Really, if he says I cant, then I'll have no choice :(

I'll end up like all the other stress heads that drive to work... oh God I'll be a nightmare to live with!!

Thanks
    pregnancy is not an illness, its a blessing, feel free to ignore my 1st reply, do what you feel happiest, as per gadetra, those who judge you are not worth bothering about!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    i'd be risk averse though and unlike some here, would deem it a medical condition.

Each to their own, but I think you'd find many midwives would disparage the notion that pregnancy is a medical condition much the same way a geriatrician would consider growing old a medical condition.

• Advertisement

Bloggsie wrote: »
    pregnancy is not an illness, its a blessing, feel free to ignore my 1st reply, do what you feel happiest, as per gadetra, those who judge you are not worth bothering about!

I never said it was an "illness" - I said medical condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

I absolutely would keep cycling while pregnant unless my doctor told me otherwise. I'd imagine it will get uncomfortable later on but keep at it for as long as you feel comfortable. I ran until I was 8 months pregnant on my first. Couldn't run much on my second or third as I had SPD. I now cycle and if I was pregnant I'd certainly keep doing it for as long as I could.
    As for people judging, fu€k them. What do you care what they think?

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    I never said it was an "illness" - I said medical condition.
    excuse me Taxuser1, to quote the song, sung by Ella Fitzgerald & Billie Holliday, Let's Call The Whole Thing Off. you say tomato, I say tomahto!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

If you think people judge you while pregnant, wait until you're towing your offspring around in a child trailer attached to the back of the bike! That really makes people hoik up their judgey pants. I might add I found my own generation of women to be the worst critics, grandparents and fathers were far more supportive.

I had no loss of balance when cycling while pregnant, the only problem I had is when my bump brushed off the tip of my saddle when I climbed onto the bike. When I became mildly anaemic in the second trimester I became slightly breathless but the that was easily fixed by iron tablets. From . behind I didn't look pregnant at all, only when you saw me from the side. I developed mild SPD and cycling was far more comfortable than walking. The bus journey took me an hour and half including walking, the bike journey took me 30 minutes.

Congratulations on your pregnancy, check with your medical team and happy cycling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My workmate cycled up until 8 months. Never found it an issue and no one commented on her to the point that she relayed it, and she would relay quite alot about the manners of people while commuting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Thanks Harrybelafonte - I already have a 4 year old so I do get that & know what people can be like about parenting. I will definitely get that book, thanks. I was just hoping to get from cyclists their opinion on whether they think it's unsafe to do so.

Forgive my presumption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

You'd have to have one hell of a "tumble" off the bike for things to go wrong. In the olden days, some unmarried pregnant women would throw themselves down the stairs in an attempt to become "unpregnant" and it rarely worked. Foetuses are well protected from external knocks; "ordinary" emotional stress is much worse, so if cycling is part of your daily stress-relief, keep it up as long as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

Don't forget that your labour, pregnancy and infant will all benefit from having a healthy, de-stressed and fit mother. Exercise carries benefits as well as risks. Especially now that the typical mother is older than would have been the case before contraception was invented.

Ok there is inevitably some risk inherent in cycling, but there is also risk inherent in walking, eating, driving and living. You can't give them all up! Pregnant, not sick, as has been noted earlier in this thread.

congratulations! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Read Susie's book, some docs are more exercise friendly and understanding/up to date with current research than others, who are super conservative.
    I think she flipped up her stem as the bump got in the way.

ETA: It's actually horrendous how little research is done in this area, given the HUGE numbers of people it affects. I guess the ethical issues would be pretty huge. There have been studies done on female athletes as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SteelyD

Hi Fuzzy

I created an account just to join this discussion - you're not the only lurker!

I'm currently 15 weeks pregnant and have no plans to stop cycling until / unless I'm uncomfortable doing it, and I'm hoping that will be a long time off.

At the moment my commute is pretty short (<15 minutes) so I could easily walk it if I wanted to, but I prefer cycling. Then I'm out for decent rides a few times a week on the road bike or mountain bike.
    I'm a competent and confident city anyway, including in traffic in the city, my cycling skills aren't going to change because I'm pregnant. If my balance does start to change, then I'll decide if I need to rethink it - but that will be my decision, not anybody else's. On the mountain bike I'm a relatively cautious rider anyway, I generally am aiming not to fall, so that doesn't change. I imagine I might get more worried at some point and want to change what I do, and if that happens, that's fine with me - I'm going to go with how I feel.

Of course there's a risk that I'll fall or get hit, but that risk is there anyway. And yes, it could have disastrous consequences....but something disastrous could happen walking, or in the car, or stepping off the bus. It's impossible to rank activities by risk, because comprehensive data just doesn't exist.

You mentioned that if your GP says not to, you won't - fair enough if you trust them, but are you sure they actually know what's best? As somebody mentioned already, there is really very little good empirical evidence about effects of exercise in pregnancy (on either the mother or the baby), as it is basically very difficult to conduct decent studies. Of the evidence out there, the vast majority reports either beneficial effects for the mother, possibly-beneficial effects for the child, or no effect whatsoever - i.e. there is really not any strong evidence suggesting negative effects. The proviso to all of that is that of the (not very broad) range of research, most of it reports studies of low-moderate intensity exercise, often home-based, or group classes (basically because most of the time they are reporting trials in which inactive women were being encouraged to become more active). There's really very little on high intensity exercise, long duration, or competitive.

The knock-on effect of the scarcity of research is that the guidelines which GPs and other healthcare professionals have are vague and generally cautious - not because there is evidence to say more intense exercise is dangerous, but rather because there isn't evidence to say that it is safe! So someone might tell you to keep your heart rate below 140 or ensure you can still hold a conversation....because they don't know what else to say, there's just no decent evidence.

I'll get off my soap-box! For me, in the absence of good guidelines which are based on decent evidence from well-designed studies, then I'm confident in evaluating the available evidence and potential risk myself, and making up my own mind. Cycling and my other training keeps me physically fit, but is also crucial for my general mental health and happiness! And I'm convinced that's as important as all the many other things we're told to do and not do when pregnant :-p

• Advertisement
Advertisement