Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its getting annoying slow

Options
  • 09-05-2016 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

I am getting annoyed with GOT lately, its *ucking tediously slow.

SNL hit the nail on the head with this
    http://www.maxim.com/entertainment/snl-hilarious-game-of-thrones-2016-5

This is what I am to see happen in the next episode.

Samwell Tarly - just explodes for know reason, we never meet this annoying
    character ever again.

Bran stark - Gets the use of his legs back and walks away never to be seen again.

Daenerys Targaryen - uses the god dam dragons for something.

High Sparrow - gets his comeuppance.

It really is too slow its like watching paint dry at this point.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

character ever again.

****in' A

65e2a-poochie-slide.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

INORITE

I've been a reader of high fantasy for 35 bloody years and I have never seen such a bunch of useless housepets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

I am getting annoyed with GOT lately, its *ucking tediously slow.

SNL hit the nail on the head with this
    http://www.maxim.com/entertainment/snl-hilarious-game-of-thrones-2016-5

character ever again.

Bran stark - Gets the use of his legs back and walks away never to be seen again.

While all the stupid filler is annoying as ****, this season so far, if anything, hass been pretty fast paced, lots of characters getting screen time.

Patience is required! They can't just spunk the whole season in one episode, Jon's back, meets Sansa kills Ramsey, marries Dany, incest babies back on the throne, game over...

I'm more worried that they are doing too many plotlines per episode. Flying between POVs makes it seem hectic, but lacks rhythm and flow.

And enough comic relief and fan service. Just tell the ****ing story with out prosthetic dicks.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I find 50 mins of game of thrones flies by a lot quicker than that 3 minute sketch, to be honest.

character ever again.

I take it you havent read the books then? Book readers are probably chewing their arms off in anticipation of tower of joy flashback part 2.

Agreed. Hopefully in the same scene. But with the burning of the fleet it might be another season away for both.

But you still watch it though? So it cant be all that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

image.gif

• Advertisement

SNL is absolute garbage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

For me the problem is that the pacing is inconsistent.

I really couldnt care less about Arya Stark. I have completely lost interest in her storyline so it just drags on for me.

On the other hand, they are flying the North storylines along at a rate of knots.

I dont really dig filler like Tyrions conversations about conversations. Grey Worm bores me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Op, you are wrong. Very wrong... That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I can see why non book readers might find it slow but book readers are now getting a good idea where the story is going and i reckon when it is divulged on the series then the tv only fans will be better satisfied.

Jofspring wrote: »
    I can see why non book readers might find it slow but book readers are now getting a good idea where the story is going and i reckon when it is divulged on the series then the tv only fans will be better satisfied.

But then the book readers will still have the proper story in the books so all will be happy in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Im very disappointed with the lack of nudity to be honest

Im very disappointed with the lack of nudity to be honest

Bit disappointed in that myself.

Sure, we may be getting 2 handed long sword fights but we want nudies!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Bit disappointed in that myself.

Sure, we may be getting 2 handed long sword fights but we want nudies!!

I did definitely feel that scene would have benefited if there was some kind of boobies in the background :pac:

I'm a non book reader and I don't find it too slow at all. Sure the tower of Joy cut away was a bit of a let down but the fight before was class. All the stories a progressing along (although I could live without Sam) and there is no Dorne to be seen.

I kinda wish zombie Mountain would do something though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

ziedth wrote: »

Kill everyone left in the Dorne plot hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,874 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I'm six seasons in and still watching. May as well finish it out. It's a complete mess IMO. No real direction. Far too occupied with trying to shock. It's juts so far removed from reality. I know it's a tv show with a fantasy element, but the complete absence of humanity is where it fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

walshb wrote: »
    It's juts so far removed from reality.

I know, totally unrealistic. They have dragons ffs, what's that about?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

ziedth wrote: »

I reckon thats where the Dorne crowd come back into it. Unfinished business there.

Effects wrote: »
    I know, totally unrealistic. They have dragons ffs, what's that about?

Yes, but there are also human beings who are portraying human beings. We all know there is fanatsy as well. This is where it falls completely flat.

Yes, but there are also human beings who are portraying human beings. We all know there is fanatsy as well. This is where it falls completely flat.

I do think some characters are a bit one dimensional but take people like Ned Stark, The Hound, Tyrion Lannister, Alliser Thorne, Jon Snow, The Red Viper etc - these are all complex characters who are neither all bad or all good.

I dont see how there is no humanity in people - there is lots.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think they have mistaken "rounded characterisation" with "showing mundanity". We aren't here to see the workings of the day to day lives of the characters. I don't want to see Ser EatsAllThePies on a boat talking to his missus about his mum. Its not building drama or tension or character, its just filler which they *think* is arty and characterful.

We've had three episodes now, one third almost of what we will get this year and aside from Jon being back (WOW! :/) little else has happened of consequence. Certainly not 3 hours of it. Its not really a coherent story at the moment, its like watching youtube clips of 5 different stories. The fight sequence was pointless for example. I'm sure some mega-fan somewhere is creaming themselves because they got to see that fight from the books etc, but really... I could care less if Ned didn't win some fight fairly...
    Its beginning to feel a lot like Lost lately. I'm still very keen on it though but it feels like someone wants to stretch it out into Dallas rather than keeping the plot moving along briskly.

Too much yak yak not enough bash bash. Moar Sploxions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

DeVore wrote: »
    I think they have mistaken "rounded characterisation" with "showing mundanity". We aren't here to see the workings of the day to day lives of the characters. I don't want to see Ser EatsAllThePies on a boat talking to his missus about his mum. Its not building drama or tension or character, its just filler which they *think* is arty and characterful.

We've had three episodes now, one third almost of what we will get this year and aside from Jon being back (WOW! :/) little else has happened of consequence. Certainly not 3 hours of it. Its not really a coherent story at the moment, its like watching youtube clips of 5 different stories. The fight sequence was pointless for example. I'm sure some mega-fan somewhere is creaming themselves because they got to see that fight from the books etc, but really... I could care less if Ned didn't win some fight fairly...
    Its beginning to feel a lot like Lost lately. I'm still very keen on it though but it feels like someone wants to stretch it out into Dallas rather than keeping the plot moving along briskly.

It's a direct result of how splintered the storylines have become in the books (imagine what you're seeing in the show x10), they really are making a genuine effort to progress it much more quickly than the books and I think this season will continue that and keep moving people and plots along pretty quickly.

And I wouldn't rule out that fight scene... give it a few weeks.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,173 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think a problem with GoT is it doesn't work well when you watch the episodes as they come out, the way it's edited is more like a film than a TV show imo. It plays a lot better if you watch several episodes one after the other.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think a problem with GoT is it doesn't work well when you watch the episodes as they come out, the way it's edited is more like a film than a TV show imo. It plays a lot better if you watch several episodes one after the other.
    Except trying to do that you'd need to quit internet until you catch up; I even had a friend (who's not watched an episode beyond the Season 1, episode 1 and decided it was not for her) ask me if Jon was resurrected because of some memes posted in a thread she was reading about perfumes...

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

Op, you are wrong. Very wrong... That is all.
    I take it you havent read the books then? Book readers are probably chewing their arms off in anticipation of tower of joy flashback part 2.

I think 99.99% of the recent GOT book readers are in it for the gloating :D

It doesn't really matter if the characters are super-fantastical in the future
    I so bored as sh1t right now, I won't care in the future, you know a good novel has to hold the reader and so the tv show needs to speed up.

we need more dragons, sex, violence and weddings this is GOT!.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

I think they have mistaken "rounded characterisation" with "showing mundanity".

I 100% agree with this, I am all for character development but they are going
    way to far into the mundane.

Araya Stark entire becoming no-one would have been a montage in any
    movie.

It took 2 episodes to bring Jon snow back and we only have 8 episodes
    for the rest of the year :(

Daenerys Targaryen as far as I can tell is virtually back were she ended in season one :(

King Joffrey is missed even tho he was a nasty dude he was entertaining :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,173 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Nody wrote: »
    Except trying to do that you'd need to quit internet until you catch up; I even had a friend (who's not watched an episode beyond the Season 1, episode 1 and decided it was not for her) ask me if Jon was resurrected because of some memes posted in a thread she was reading about perfumes...

Agreed, I'd rather wait until all ten episodes have aired like I do with every other show I watch but it's so big now there's just no way to avoid stuff like that.

I do think some characters are a bit one dimensional but take people like Ned Stark, The Hound, Tyrion Lannister, Alliser Thorne, Jon Snow, The Red Viper etc - these are all complex characters who are neither all bad or all good.

I dont see how there is no humanity in people - there is lots.

Fair, and good points. For me the show is almost completely about deception and violence and betrayal. I'd like a little bit of normality thrown in to mix it up. It's awfully boring after a while with all the nastiness.

Fair, and good points. For me the show is almost completely about deception and violence and betrayal. I'd like a little bit of normality thrown in to mix it up. It's awfully boring after a while with all the nastiness.

Well the most recent episode had a bit of normality with Tyrion chatting to Greyworm and Missandei about the things they like to talk about - only problem was it was kinda boring!!

Brienne is pretty normal and does normal stuff outside of being a solid fighter. Traipsing around with Pod and chatting to him over the camp fire etc...

And Sam is the most normal person going. Extraordinary events happen "to" him but he mostly goes on about his teenage crush on Gilly. Actually the Nights Watch lads have very ordinary conversations about shovelling snow, or shovelling sh1t or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Watching season 1 again and while it's far slower than it is now the quality of characters is night and day. They all seem to actually have emotional reasons for their actions and aren't flip flopping more than pro wrestlers. As they diverged from the books they couldn't keep up with the characters and while there's some great moments to me it's felt like a collection of sex and fight scenes more like The Walking Dead in terms of characterisation than the first season of the same show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

That's not really fair...

- Ramsey is now lord of the north, killing off Roose who has been a very important player (sadly the end of possibly Ireland's best living actor on the show).

- Allister & co are dead, though granted a tie-in with Jon Snow.

- Arya got here eyes back (not a fan of that, makes the whole 'blind penance' thing a bit of a cheap trick since it was only for about 3-4 episodes).

- We've had the revelation that Bran is seeing into the past, which I found extremely interesting in terms of where it could go.

- As for the Tower of Joy scene, I'll keep quiet but will say it's not got to do with if he could beat Swordy McTwoSwords fairly or not.

- The Iron Islands is surely set to become a much bigger player now that Balon's brother showed up and murdered him, which is going to cause a power struggle between him & Theon's sister.

- Also, a whole lot is going on in Dorne but who gives a sweet f***? They have done an awful, awful job on that region after getting us so excited with Oberyn.

- Not a plot progression, but Varys' vague threats and claiming to "make people happy" in last weeks show has been one of my favourite 'talking' scenes in the entire show, kind of missed his nastier side that we used to see in his exchanges with Littlefinger back in Kings Landing. Conleth Hill really should have his career take off a good bit after this show - he has been phenomenal, right up there with Charles Dance and Peter Dinklage. By the way, here he is with hair. :p

I do agree about the composition though - would prefer to cover 2-3 stories in good depth with maybe just a very quick throwaway to another 1-2 along the way to progress a plot/set up something big in the next 1-2 episodes (e.g. a 1-2 min scene of an army marching, to let us know they have left camp). I've read the first 3 books, and the way they are written is very similar to the show - a chapter from Tyrion's perspective, jumping to another from Jon Snows, etc etc. Some are quite long and others are very short, but they pace together brilliantly - the show was able to borrow from this when using the books totally, but now that they've caught up they seem to be struggling on it somewhat.

One thing the show is struggling with now because of how much of it it has done in the past, is to blindside us. Maybe I'm forgetting something but The Mountain getting his hands on Oberyn and Joffrey dying are the last two moments of real, genuine, "holy f***" GOT-level shock I can recall.

Advertisement