Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I wish I was Welsh

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Bit odd. I love my patents but I wouldn't defend them unquestionably.

Why is it odd, it's ours and ours alone. It's a part of our identity.

The English tried to take it from us and failed.

I'm sure if Irish had been taught correctly you would feel the same way about your National language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I'm sure if Irish had been taught correctly you would feel the same way about your National language.

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

philstar wrote: »
    Of all the home races

Home? To whom?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Also Wales is full of chavs. Take a look at those "police stop" shows on ITV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Home? To whom?

Home races. The Homoracials, of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Also Wales is full of chavs. Take a look at those "police stop" shows on ITV.

thats probably Newport

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

mansize wrote: »
    thats probably Newport

From Cwmbran myself, Newport is a awful kip.

Vist Newport, get your face kicked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Meh, I doubt it.

Now the Vasconic language spoken in Ireland? That's MY language and we'd still be speaking it if it weren't for you Celtic colonials! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

From Cwmbran myself, Newport is a awful kip.

Vist Newport, get your face kicked in.

Sister lives in Cwmcarn, beautiful up there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Then perhaps OP you should move to the lovely hamlet of Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch.

That'll cool your jets.

I hard a guy interviewed on the radio who was from that town.. As you probably know, it translates to

'St Mary's Church in the Hollow of the White Hazel near a Rapid Whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio near the Red Cave'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Feck Wales or Ireland, I wish I lived in Spain near a beach....I don't give a ****e what the people are like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

The welsh are the Irish that couldn't swim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Any welsh person I've met has been a lunatic...always get on great with them though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

kfallon wrote: »
    Thinly veiled "I fancy sheep" thread

Why are you bringing New Zealand into this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I wish I was a baller.

I do also wish I was three feet taller

And while I'm at it, can I get a rabbit in a hat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

So many people used to love going to Wales for day trips courtesy of the twice a day sailing from Dun Laoghaire to Holyhead . . . . then they stopped the 'twice a day' and that was the end of that. And now they have stopped the ferry altogether from Dun Laoghaire :(

Its too much hassle to travel over to Wales now, which is an awful shame, as there are so many lovely towns and places of interest to visit. I like Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

LordSutch wrote: »
    So many people used to love going to Wales for day trips courtesy of the twice a day sailing from Dun Laoghaire to Holyhead . . . . then they stopped the 'twice a day' and that was the end of that. And now they have stopped the ferry altogether from Dun Laoghaire :(
    You can still get cheap day-trips to Holyhead, Tuesdays being the cheapest.

http://www.stenaline.ie/ferries-to-britain/day-trips/dublin-holyhead-superferry

I went to Wales once, on one of those day-trips, when I was about 7. There was a delay getting off the ferry in Holyhead meaning that I've spent 30 minutes of my life on Welsh soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I travel there some what regularly with work and I hate the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

You can still get cheap day-trips to Holyhead, Tuesdays being the cheapest.

...yeah, but only from Dublin port which is not half as quick & accessible as Dun Laoghaire was.

Hoping to spend time in Portmeirion some day, while being chased by a giant bubble ;)

You would have to be of a certain age to know what I'm talking about there.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Meh, I doubt it.

Now the Vasconic language spoken in Ireland? That's MY language and we'd still be speaking it if it weren't for you Celtic colonials! :p

You understand that's a theory right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

LordSutch wrote: »
    ...yeah, but only from Dublin port which is not half as quick & accessible as Dun Laoghaire was.

Hoping to spend time in Portmeirion some day, while being chased by a giant bubble ;)

You would have to be of a certain age to know what I'm talking about there.
    I'm not a number, I'm a free man!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You could be the Fresh Prince of Cwmbran!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The Welsh have a great sense of nationalism and pride mines the violence and nastiness of republicanism which is something to be admired.

Not a single mention of the two most distinctive parts of Welsh culture after the language, the eisteddfodau (which date back to the middle ages) and the Male Voice Choirs.

(Eisteddfod, 1923)

(Eisteddfod, 2008)

Cymru am byth!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

steddyeddy wrote: »
    You understand that's a theory right?

Yep and a discredited one at that. Hence the :p

Although I would like to know what language(s) were spoken in Ireland before Irish Gaelic, whatever it was it was spoken here for a lot longer than Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,292 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

kfallon wrote: »
    Thinly veiled "I fancy sheep" thread

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

I hard a guy interviewed on the radio who was from that town.. As you probably know, it translates to

'St Mary's Church in the Hollow of the White Hazel near a Rapid Whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio near the Red Cave'

Sheesh, I think it's pretty obvious what Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch means.

Here's a video of ITV's weatherman pronouncing it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

mansize wrote: »
    thats probably Newport

Can confirm - massive kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Did you know it's possible to see Wales from Ireland on an exceptionally clear day? Here's proof.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/47rm0r/view_of_welsh_mountains_from_ireland/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭flutered

are you the ex politician ex bookie ex broadcaster present bankrupt, td pensioned mr yeats, who claimed to have spent 12 months there drinking whiskey

Advertisement