Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Weds 21/6

45 min moderate
    10:58 min/mi (a little slower than what my moderate should be)
    6.13 miles

Clammy and sunny after work compared to the rest of the day.

Thurs 22/6

45 min very easy
    11:59 min/mi (more so easy than very easy)
    5.96 miles

Busy at the gym. Busy around the local bypass too. The council have installed a few more machines, etc.

Fri 23/6

Rest

Conference planning. Bit of a headache and nausea in the evening.

Sat 24/6

45 min easy (last 5 min @ Threshold)
    40 minutes at 11:57 min/mi
    5 minutes at 9:07 min/mi
    5.94 miles

Didn't sleep well, woke some time after 4 and was still wired after 7. Thought about running some time, but wasn't sure about running on empty. Guess if this becomes a regular thing I'll just go out. Started looking ahead to Sept as I'll be away and am trying to figure out when I'll be able to fit in the runs. Will depend on flights and what's happening on certain days. Don't know the details yet as I'm not in charge of the booking.

Sun 25/6

90 minutes easy
    9.65 miles at 11:51 min/mi

Out just before 9. I woke before 7 and couldn't get back to sleep. Dull and overcast. Temperature picked up around half way through. Bit sunny later on. Not so many cyclists out this week. Tried a different bar this week. Think it made me want to go to the loo - tmi, so I found a ditch. Now my leg looks like it's been attacked by 6 cats.

Um, extra protein - marketing crap?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/dec/26/protein-hype-shoppers-flushing-money-down-the-toilet-say-experts

Base plan
    Week 1: 36.33 miles.
    Week 2: 33.41 miles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Mon 26/6

Rest

Tues 27/6

60 min very easy
    6.84 miles at 12:42 min/mi

Warm, sun cream on the job after work. A blister I had picked up had burst of its own accord, but that didn't last long as I've picked it up again. Same spot. Bramble scratched legs were itchy. 20C on drive home.

Weds 28/6

60 min progression (Easy to MP)
    7.6 miles

Split Pace
    1 12:15
    2 11:41
    3 11:15
    4 10:41
    5 10:13
    6 9:46

Squirrel on grounds at work again. Late leaving the office. No sun. 13C and wet on drive home. Enjoyed moving towards MP.

Thurs 29/6

60 min easy
    7.12 miles at 11:54 min/mi

Gym. They're doing some overdue exterior cosmetic work. Showers a bit stinky again, ugh. Some better news, my car insurance came down. Still too much, mind.

Fri 30/6

Rest

Sat 1/7

50 min mix (9 min easy/1 min hard)
    6.88 miles

Er, it's July. Motorbike soundtrack owing to the Skerries races.

Sun 2/7

1 hr 45 easy
    10.94 at 12:01 min/mi

Longest run in a while, iirc. Closed the browser tab whilst writing this post. Didn't sleep terribly well. Sunny early on. Headed out the the edge of Loughshinny. Had a bar, left it fairly late into the run. Didn't really agree with me so pace was quickened after the workout was completed...to get home. TMI, part II. Bit concerned about that side of things now as I didn't experience this last year.

Week 3: 39.38 miles.

Base plan, Week 3.

Mon 3/7

Rest

Tues 4/7

60 minutes, very easy
    6.77 miles at 12:41 min/mi.

Almost forgot to pack my running gear in the car this morning. Bit muggy, overcast. Sun cream still handy just in case. Generally neglect the back of the legs in that department. Ordinary run until near the end. I was almost finishing the main run when another runner (FD 10 t-shirt) came up beside me and started to yap away. She was very keen to get the hill out of the way and to catch me even though I was on my slowest routine. We had a chat about the marathon, both first timers last year, both went out with the 4:10 pacers. She finished two minutes behind me at 4:19, so no stick to the plan inspired lectures needed. :pac: Anyway, thanks to her for saying hi. :)

This is week 4, not 3. Oops.

Weds 5/7

55 min moderate
    7.4 miles at 11:00 (bit slow for 10:23-10:42, tbh)

Stayed late at work again. So much for a quiet summer - who knows what the rest of July will bring.

Thurs 6/7

Rest. Had to change Thursday and Friday around. Awake until 2am.

Fri 7/7

60 min very easy
    6.85 miles at 12:48

New houses starting to go up pretty quickly. Started late enough and did not finish until 10pm. No wonder temperature has dropped by then.

Sat 8/7

50 min easy (last 5 min @ Threshold)
    i.e. 45 minutes at 12:09
    5 minutes at 9:11
    6.55 miles

Warm. My phone's (don't use it for running) health app started complaining that I hadn’t been active in 2 hours. Guess it doesn't know about this log. :pac: Interesting holding at threshold and the sustainability of that.

Sun 9/7

1 hr 45 easy

11:32 miles at 11:59

Put some friction cream on my toes re the blisters. Few more 'morning', nods from runners today. Feels like DCM season is upon us. I spend much of my long runs talking to myself and setting the week ahead - i.e. work. :rolleyes:

Week 4: 38.89 miles.

Week 5, Base plan.

Mon 10/7

Rest. Accident on the M50 on the way home, traffic was pretty bad. Tired.

Tues 11/7

60 min very easy
    6.91 miles at 12:45

Awake since 5am. Stomach was a bit iffy during the day. Cool enough whilst walking at the start of my routine. Was tempted to try my new outer layer, but decided to leave it in the car. Legs a bit zimmery towards the end.

Weds 12/7

70 min progression (Easy to MP)
    8.76 miles
    Divided this up in 10 minute blocks, apart from the third one which was 20. Oops. Started around 12:15, down to 9:49 for the final 10 minutes.

Sleep issue again - woke at 3:30am. Zombified - eyelids on matchsticks whilst driving to work. Drive home was tiring too. Couple of kids playing football in the car park at work.

Thurs 13/7

60 min very easy
    6.7 miles

Few specs of rain.

Fri 14/7

Rest

Sat 15/7

Let my body clock act as an alarm rather than my phone.
    50 min easy + 4x200m @ 5k effort (full recovery -2/3 min rec)
    50 minutes at 12:08. Wasn’t sure on the rest, so sorta winged it.
    7.07 miles

Sun 16/7

2 hr easy
    12.63 miles at 11:56

Body block alarm again. Longest run of the year and possibly the warmest too. Grain machinery working away in the fields. I headed down to Loughshinny harbour this time. Tide well out, no seagulls. Couple of people rambling along the beach. Bloke on a bike rehearsing on the hill. Ran out of water during the cool down stage near home. There's been talk in the main forum about stashing stuff, not sure where I'd do that safely. Chia bar went OK.

Work a bit frustrating this week.

Week 5: 42.07 miles.

• Advertisement

Week 6, Base plan.

Mon 17/7

Rest.

Came off exit 14 on the M50 and there was a woman running down part of the grass on the slip, presumably she turned back.

Tues 18/7

60 mins, very easy
    6.77 miles at 12:44 min/mi

Little to report here. Sun cream just in case, but cloudy. Plenty of people using the garden in work during the day. Went past an alley/side path I only noticed for the first time, despite passing here regularly.

Weds 19/7

65 mins, moderate
    8.51 miles at min/mi

Same as above, not much to report. A little wet, danger of heavy rain half way through. Enjoyed the run. M50 fairly soaked on the way home.

Thurs 20/7

Rest. Radio interview. Sound level check before starting, they put the mic up pretty close to the point it was almost like being poked in the eye. Piece itself went well. Committee stuff outside of work proving frustrating...

Fri 21/7

60 mins, very easy
    6.8 miles at 12:37 min/mi

Out the road, baby hens in their usual spot.

Sat 22/7

50 min, easy (last 5 min @ Tempo)
    45 mins at 12:06 and 5 mins at 9:34
    6.33 miles

Sun 23/7

2 hours easy
    12.68 miles at 12:02 min/mi

On with the P20 just in case. Started at 8:20am, pretty dull at this stage. Soft rain. Good few dog walkers out and about. Realised I had forgotten my energy bar about 10 minutes in, kept going and headed out to Loughshinny harbour, as usual. Annoyed a few dogs simply by passing by, might have woken their masters. Sun started to make an appearance after an hour, not for long. Quiet out the back roads. Curse of a headache now this eve. Blister situation seems to have eased a good bit.

Week 5: 42.07 miles.
    Week 6: 41.09 miles.
    Total: 231.17 miles.

Time for a new tab in the spreadsheet. DCM training begins. Let's play ball.

DCM training - Week 1, intermediate plan

Mon 24/7

Rest. Long day at the office until about 8:45. Most stressful day of the year for my boss, so brace for impact, really.

Tues 25/7

60 min very easy
    6.74 miles at 12:41

Little to report, again. Warm enough. Sleep was poor.

Weds 26/7

10x2 min @ CV w/ 2 min rec
    7.69 miles
    So, I tended up doing 12 of these because I always lose count somewhere, and the second last one was for 3 minutes+. Splits: 8:19, 8:24, 8:17, 8:27, 8:02, 7:57, 8:16, 8:22, 8:28, 8:14, 8:26, 8:22

Weds AKA rain day, somewhere around 40 minutes in. Talk about a drowned rat and clingy t-shirt alert. But, I enjoyed it. Felt like driving home in my bare feet such as the state of my shoes.

Thurs 27/7

60 min very easy
    6.74 miles at 12:34

Passed the main sports field, club heads seemed to be about. Green 2016 t-shirts too.

Fri 28/7

Rest

Read about nop's ultra madness intentions. :pac:

Sat 29/7

60 min very easy
    6.95 miles at 12:39

Left it late enough for this one, went out after 12pm. Didn't find it too warm, tbh. Sleep was poor, 2am craic.

Sun 30/7

Sleep, as above.

Club LSR. Just shy of 2 hours at 1:57:55 or 10.66 miles at 11:04

Met up just before 8am, started somewhere around 20 past. Broke in two groups of 2 out front, 6 a bit further back/scattered, but mostly together on the home stretch. Not a happy time for all as one woman had knee issues somewhere around 6 miles in, but for another it was her longest run, to date. Great to see that. We discussed all sorts from gels, water, mileage, not getting discouraged, DIY energy balls, women and pain threshold, plans, stories in the news and local drama. Definitely some other folks out rehearsing the half route. We're very fortunate with the scenery here too. Great session, found it motivating.

I'm a heel striker, apparently...so.

Week 1: 38.78 miles.

Week 2, intermediate plan

Mon 31/7

Rest. Feckin' sneezing all day, post the Sunday LSR.

Tues 1/8

60 min very easy
    7.18 at 12:40

Suncream time. Only realised 4 miles in I should be trying to get rid of my alleged heel striking craic. But, in doing that my foot felt a bit weird, clobbery and unbalanced on right. And so would began a week long messing with my feet.

Weds 2/8

3x8 min @ Threshold w/ 3 min rec
    5.67 miles at 9:08/9:08/9:15

Didn't bother with suncream. Seemed a busier evening for running compared to recent weeks. Searched for stride technique videos, but didn't watch any in full.

Thurs 3/8

60 min very easy
    6.98 at 12:25

Technique on my mind, again. Busy evening out and about ~ 15 people, 2 groups from the club. Someone, I think from last Sunday's LSR did wave from her car, I didn't respond as I was unsure if she was waving at me. Future apology in the works there. :o

Fri 4/8

Rest

Did some potential holiday Googling. Came across the Portland marathon/half marathon on Oct 8th. Not something I'm considering seriously, very indecisive on the holiday front at the moment. Even if I did the half it wouldn't be long enough as I've to do a 3 hour LSR that day, iirc. They only have charity places for the half and the full/standard entry is pricey enough at $145. Not sure if this is a north American thing or...

Sat 5/8

60 min very easy
    6.79 miles at 12:30

Sun 6/8

70 min progression (30/20/20- very easy/easy/moderate)
    8.62 miles at 12:36/11:55/10:40
    Tried a gel, all fine.

Being told I was striking my heel threw me a little last week, trying to sort that has been a bit messy (Googling other than videos). I might just go back to what I was doing - if it ain't broke and all that. Tbf, two women last week looked like they were gliding along, doubtful I'll ever look like that. :pac: Technique is not really my strong suit, well, not aesthetically.

Week 2: 35.24 miles.

Ran Tues and Weds. Got word today a family member is quite ill and to potentially expect the end. Will see how the rest of the week goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Sorry to hear that, hope they're doing ok.

• Advertisement

Thanks. She's had a good life, no change at the moment.

Week 3.

Mon 7/8

Rest

Tues 8/8

60 min very easy
    7.04 miles at 12:44 min/mi

Mixed temperature, no rain. Debated my technique again...
    Plenty of people walking away from a bus stop glued to their devices. Phone zombies. :pac:

Weds 9/8

8x3 min @ CV w/ 2min rec
    6.73 miles
    8:33/8:31/8:22/8:36/8:14/8:32/8:24/8:28
    Only did two minutes for the third and overran the final two, making them 4 minutes each, oops.

Thurs 10/8

Family

Fri 11/8

60 min very easy
    7.11 miles at 12:26 min/mi

Sat 12/8

Few more family calls this morning.

60 min moderate
    7.82 at 10:43 min/mi

LSR with the club tomorrow if things are OK.

Sun 13/8

Plan A - Club LSR
    Plan B - 2 hours 15, easy
    Actual - 2:28:04

12.33 miles at 12:00

Just myself this morning. Club Facebook indicated they were gone to the R&R Half. Went out the club route anyway. Only met two others out the back roads. Legs felt the hills around miles 2-3, Man O War area. Crossed the Skerries road and turned in towards Loughshinny, past Baldungan castle (there's a tap here that's drinkable, apparently - despite months of going past this I've never tried it). Same way I've been with them before. Didn't go long after Baldungan, though, that's more so if I go on my own. Right knee a bit iffy during mile 9.

Family stuff later.

Roll on week 4.

Week 3: 41.03 miles.

Week 4, intermediate plan.

Mon 14/8

Rest

Tues 15/8

60 mins very easy
    7.03 miles at 12:44

Sunny. Forgot the friction cream I use for my toes. Family stuff, home after 9.

Weds 16/8

20 min @ Threshold
    4.54 at 9:04
    (incl warm up/cool down)

Hill sweat! FD10 number arrived in the post.

Thurs 17/8

60 mins very easy
    6.93 miles at 12:28

Pretty much used all of my water bottle here.

Fri 18/8

Rest.

Supermarket has bread boasting extra protein. Ah here.

Sat 19/8

60 mins very easy
    6.81 miles at 12:35

Sun 20/8

90 min progression (30 easy/moderate/tempo)
    10.41 miles at 12:02/10:41/9:08

Ran the final one at my ~ threshold pace rather than tempo, oops. Cool down brought me over 10, well, cool downs are usually depending on where I am relative to home.

I was the first one at the car park this morning. There was some discussion about distance, not doing too much due to the upcoming FD10 (they were talking about 14k for today), routes, consistency of meet up times, hysio advice. I sometimes find people become puzzled once I start mentioning running by time, not distance. :pac: Was on my own shortly after the run started and very much at the back. Could have stayed with them, but I didn't see the point in deviating from the plan. Even for the non-sub 4 group, they were going pretty quick and not at a speed I'd consider for a LSR. /Shrug. Lost track of them around 19 minutes in. If I had to guess they were probably doing low ish 10 min/mi or maybe quicker. May just stick with the Man O War route in future (it has a hill which I was going to do today, to stay with them, but they didn't want hills). Won't be out with the club again for a few weeks. Stick to my own thing if I'm too slow for them. :p

Little bit of a step back in mileage on account of Weds and this morning's progression run.

FD10 next week. ;)

Week 4: 35.72 miles

Week 5, intermediate plan.

Mon 21/8

Rest

Tues 22/8

60 mins very easy
    7.23 miles at 12:49

Was expecting deluge that never came. Lost interest during cool down, like I didn't care at all. Frustrating. Finished it anyway. Home some time after 8. Got a slight shock at darkness after 9pm, exited the kitchen out to the garden. Boom! Dark.

Weds 23/8

40 mins tempo
    6.61 miles at 9:33

Doubting my foot technique again, 5 weeks at this now.

Thurs 24/8

60 mins very easy
    7.41 miles at 12:40

Temperature was fairly mild starting out, for 7:30pm. A little later was a reminder that we're approaching head torch season. Work distracted me from my foot for a while. Came to the conclusion that the gel in my current runners is likely knackered. Sole is fairly worn too. Will look into a new pair after tomorrow's race.

Fri 25/8

Rest

Set the watch to autolap in prep for the FD10 tomorrow. Nerves have kicked in a little. :pac::o Watched Mr Mercedes with Brendan Gleeson who was just great in it. See yiz on the other side of the 10 miler.

Sat 26/8

FD10 2017, Phoenix Park

Mixed bag to report here. Or rather, a fairly disappointing outcome. Nothing wrong physically, just an overly cautious strategy, if one can even call it that.

Alarm set for 6:50am. Was awake well before that, as is the norm. Had porridge and some toast. Few cups of water to hydrate better than I tend to in advance of training runs. Lovely to be up early, that first glimpse of sunshine. Threw on some P20 and my gear. Drove over to the park, got there ~8:50am. M1 very quiet, M50 less so. Plenty of cars already there, Chesterfield Avenue. Read on the Kindle, then headed up. Didn't bother with my bag, left it in the car. About a 10 minute queue for the loo. Headed into the end of wave 2. Multiple checks of my pockets, that the zips were closed. Felt the heat on my back at this stage alright. Credit to the announcer bloke, he kept everyone entertained.

Headed along, shins/legs a bit stiff for the first mile or so. Contact with the ground was comfortable and no internal self-talk about how and where to place my feet (see earlier posts). Plenty of folks coming through from the rear, probably up from wave 3. Some bloke had a toilet stop before mile one was done. Pace was try and hit 9:37 due to the calculator thingy and ignore what others were doing. The latter was the easier part. Once the legs had settled, this is like a training run, says I. And that might have been the start of where things went wrong. Any time I went to say, 9:20, my brain thought of that as a mistake and told me to stop that craic. I never took advantage of downhills at any stage, tbh. Too much risk knock on consequences later, I thought.

Heat didn't bother me particularly during the race, others hugged the shade where they were able to. Passed on down by the music DJ around mile two, recognised this stint from last year. Think the mile 9 sign was here too, facing the other way. :p Onwards to mile 3, still a good few coming through from behind. There's a bit of down, up and around in these early stages, familiar from last year. Let pace slip too much here, methinks. This may have been (or mile two) first water station area? Had my own, decided to skip it. But dammit, make a hole, people. :mad: Onwards the zoo. Around here and towards mile 5 (approx 49 mins, iirc) and I knew I was unlikely do better than last year and was in danger of doing worse. Spoiler alert, and that's how she rolled. Gut said probably only doing 10:00 sodding min/mi.

I forget exactly where, but some little girl with her family shouted 'yes you can!' to 3 or 4 of us passing by, lovely moment. :D Back towards Chesterfield for mile 6...boring. Where's that mile 7 sign, plz. Tail end of 6 is where I saw finishers with their bags. And 7, right, just a park run to go, time to unleash the power of peanut on butter toast, aka HTFU food. :pac: OK, let's bring the pace to 9:20, that didn't quite happen as I seemed to be going quicker (lap/split info disagrees, maybe I'm confused with mile 8). Theory was to go 9:20 and knock a bit off with each mile therefore. Another water station(?), can't recall if this was the final, I skipped the second one too, did take some on board at station three - thanks the scouts for that, good timing and an extended arm. Ignored the Lucozade one later on. Mile 8 - the open area and memories of last year. Somewhere around mile 9 - back towards the area where the Jingle Bells 5k finished, only the other way around, I think. Music DJ again. Finally felt some exertion in my face somewhere after that, but no giving up. Passed a good few people throughout and tried to press pretty hard after the turn into the final stretch. Did enjoy the final 3 miles, to be fair.

Mile|Split
    1|9:51
    2|9:47
    3|9:45
    4|9:45
    5|9:39
    6|9:43
    7|9:37
    8|8:56
    9|8:33
    10|8:08

Watch said 10.16 miles, with an average of 9:19 min/mi. The distance has already been discussed in thread in the A&R Events forum.

Official tracker says:
    7m at 01:08:52, at 9:51
    Finish at 01:34:37, at 08:35
    Avg 9:28

Haven't checked back in full, but somewhere in the range of 2 minutes slower than my 2016 effort. Disappointing because slow. I was going to use a few roll eyes smileys here, but what's the point? Do it all again tomorrow, execute things differently - yes. Drive home was fine, didn't hit me until I got home and felt deflated. Watched a video from a bloke I follow video online, felt better after that. No more races until DCM - that's the agenda. Still intend to go out with the 4:10 pacers.

Anyway, could be worse, I suppose. :)

Sun 27/8

Rest. Thinking about the aftermath of the FD10. Talked to a family member who had to give it a miss due to a muscle issue, his marathon (not DCM) is now in doubt too.

Week 5: 31.41 miles.

Week 6, intermediate plan

Mon 28/8

Rest. Same as Sunday re thinking about the FD10.

Tues 29/8

60 min very easy
    7.23 miles at 12:37

Was stopped by a driver and asked for directions. Couldn't help much as a non-local. FD10 t-shirt was commented upon. Knees a little iffy at one point, maybe the start - can't recall. Not so sunny, almost approaching time where sun cream isn't going to be needed, I'd say.

Weds 30/8

3x10 min @ Threshold w/ 4 min rec
    6.48 miles at 8:55/8:57:8:59

Tried the FD10 cup in work as the watercooler was broken (plus the one at the end of the corridor) and you've to go the ground floor to fill up. Sunnier than Tues. Tired after dinner.

OK, enough FD10 talk. :pac:

Thurs 31/8

60 min very easy
    6.93 miles at 12:26

Put cous cous in my porridge because I picked the wrong jar from the shelf, should have been seeds. :pac:

Fri 1/9

Rest
    Cardio - see this video.

Sat 2/9

60 min very easy
    7.21 miles at 12:30

Beautiful peaceful morning, dew on the grass. Overtaken by some Russians on the home stretch i.e. Rush Running Club.

Sun 3/9

75 min moderate, plus cool down
    7.10 miles at 10:35, plus 1.10 at easy

Awake at stupid o'clock due to the wind and rain. Must have been 12-14 people at the club meet up. Rain had pretty much stopped at that stage. Seemed to be about 3 clusters of people, then eventually me at the back due to my pace. Followed along for a while before losing sight of the last cluster on returning towards. Got drenched in the final 10 minutes. Home by 9:45am. Some local roads closing next Sun from 10am, afaik. Should be closed to finishing by that time.

Did the cardio as linked above. Now have soup. :cool:

Edit, new shoes on the go this week. Three spins in them, going well.

Week 4: 35.72 miles.
    Week 6: 36.05 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

OK, enough FD10 talk. :pac:

I wouldn't overthink it. We all have bad days at the office. I've been following your log for a while and you seem to have been following your plan pretty meticulously, so there's no reason to worry when it comes to the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Impressed with how you stick to your paces too B , wish I had that discipline .

How did that porridge and cous cous go down?

Not bad. Thought it would be gritty, but the microwave took care of it.

Week 7 intermediate plan.

Mon 4/9

Rest

Tues 5/9

60 min very easy
    7.05 miles at 12:42

Weather OK. Foot slightly sore afterwards in the car.

Weds 6/9

7x4 min @ CV w/3 min rec
    7.49 miles, as below

8:32
    8:22
    8:21
    8:19
    8:24
    8:28
    8:26

Took a day of annual leave to host a meeting that was just under 3 hours. Have to follow up on it today, the joy of lots of emails. Almost thought I wouldn't get my run in thanks to that semi-marathon meeting. Late enough getting out, just before 8pm. Was passed by a bloke with over the ear headphones who pushed on towards the big hill heading to Skerries. Bit stupid to do that in near darkness, tbh. I turned and stuck to paths and the bypass which have lights. Doubts crept in around split 5 and I thought I wasn't going to bother with a cool down after, but I managed to shake those.

Thurs 7/9

60 min very easy
    6.87 miles at 12:29

Fri 8/9

Rest

Sat 9/9

60 min moderate
    7.77 miles at 10:37

Couple of coast guard jeeps with their blues and twos on. Hopefully all OK. Couple of non-local faces out training, likely for the half.

Sun 10/9

2hr 15 easy
    12.41 miles at 11:54

Busy again at the club meet up. Most were going to do 32km. I headed out the Man O War route instead. Passed another large ish group who were on the downhill spin, probably training for the half. There's a motorbike race on here today, road closed at 10. Was expecting to meet a grumpy marshall or two after 9am, but all was fine.

40 mins - bar one.
    90 mins - gel.
    2 hours - bar two, well, not quite. I was a bit careless with the wrapping and the whole thing fell onto the path. :o At least birds might get it.

Stretched afterwards - club woman who wasn't running asked if I was okay. :)

Week 4: 35.72 miles.
    Week 6: 36.05 miles.
    Week 7: 41.59 miles.

• Advertisement

Week 8, how's things? Grand, shure.

Mon 11/9

Rest.

Tues 12/9

60 min very easy
    7.14 miles at 12:51

Wet out and about. Heavier rain after warm up. 4-5 runners around, most covered up pretty well. It's the forearms I need to mind. Rain eased off about 40 mins in, somewhat brightened up too. Not much water taken. Was pretty tired at home later on.

Weds 13/9

25 min Threshold
    5.01 miles (incl. warm up/cool down) at 9:01

Couldn't find my watch. Drove home. Of course, when I parked up, the watch was on the floor of the car. Headed out, bit of nip in the air. Few high vis heads knocking around the new building site out the road, guessing not builders, maybe supervisors.

Thurs 14/9

60 min very easy
    7.67 miles at 12:44

Got a 'how's the training the going?' from a club member. Floodlit football pitch looks great these evenings. Decent bit of water consumed.

Feeling very positive about training at the moment. :)

Fri 15/9

Rest.

Sat 16/9

60 min very easy
    7.63 miles at 12:38

Cous cous in porridge, once again...

Sun 17/9

90 min progression (30 easy/moderate/tempo)
    10.09 miles at 11:56/10:41/9:32

Up to the club meet up, as usual. Most seemed to be looking at 32km at MP (getting a sense of the coach bloke now) - pass, thanks. A little damp out there, fell back to easy for the cool down.

Week 8: 37.54 miles.

----

Week 9

Mon 18/9

Rest.

Tues 19/9

60 min very easy
    7.38 miles at 12:58

Awake from 2am until at least 3. Was like a zombie come lunch time. Very tired arriving home around 8:30. Sitting down at the kitchen table and it just seems to hit. Cloudy, but not cold on the run. Troubling to see the earthquake scenes from Mexico.

Weds 20/9

50 min Tempo
    7.40 miles at 9:33

A little cooler and damp. Hon the tempo. :pac:

Travel tomorrow, juggling the days a bit. Going to try and do my LSR before jumping on a plane.

Thurs 21/9

2 hours 30 easy.
    13.44 miles at 11:51.

Swapped the Sunday LSR for today. Will attempt to complete 3 runs whilst out foreign (x2 very easy, x1 moderate). Possibility of badminton on the cards, will see about that and make a decision depending on whether it's safe enough to avoid doing something like turning over on my ankle.

New box of gels arrived in the post this morning. Started just before 8am at the school and headed out the Man O War, down to Loughshinny harbour and back. Pretty much a perfect route for the time. Had thought about looping the MOW twice, but figured Loughshinny was a good bet. Half tripped on a large tree branch. Spotted a woman in a FD10 t-shirt (dunno what year) just at the junction into Loughshinny. Turned in after Baldungan on the return and ran about 9 minutes over the planned time due to proximity from home, down around the back roads at the Educate Together.

Longest run of the plan, to date. Do have a slight concern that whilst I'm due to do a 3 hour run on Oct 8th, and even with that, I may not get to the magic 18 or 20 mile range that seems often part of marathon training. But, but, this plan is about time, not distance. ;)

Tried two bars and two gels on the fuel situation.

Right - lunch, then airport. Talk next week. Be good. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Longest run of the plan, to date. Do have a slight concern that whilst I'm due to do a 3 hour run on Oct 8th, and even with that, I may not get to the magic 18 or 20 mile range that seems often part of marathon training. But, but, this plan is about time, not distance. ;)

I know it can seem a little daunting especially when you see the likes of the Hal Higdon etc built around the long run but this plan is built around cumulative mileage and fatigue.

If you look at this plan vs say half higdon or the likes you will have covered more miles overall throughout the plan and most of the long runs are done either as sessions or on tired legs they day after workouts. There is also a decreased injury risk by not putting all the eggs in one basket with regards the long run. This allows you to keep tipping along week after week building fitness through consistency.

The marathon is always gonna hurt no matter what pace but this plan is designed to have you in the best possible position to get the best from yourself on the day.

Thanks. :) Very much looking forward to DCM again this year.

Fri 22/9

Rest. Checked out some potential running routes.

Sat 23/9

60 min very easy
    7.51 miles at 12:52

Headed out at 6:30. First thirty seconds or so the watch wasn't noting pace or distance. Stopped, reset and restarted. All grand after that. Saw the size for Spar and Lidl, both 4km. Headed out, next sign was around 2.6km, no more after that. Went straight through the roundabout - got to some road works and turned back. Got back to the hotel, showered and later on in the morning started to hear about the DCHM mess. Busy day of conference stuff for the rest of Sat.

Sun 24/9

60 min moderate
    8.16 miles 10:35

Watch, same as the above. I was expecting the 'have you moved hundreds of miles since your last run?' prompt owing to having been on a plane, but didn't spot it. Satellite loading still took a while. Similar route to Sat, headed back via a different way around another hotel. Enjoyed hugging the shoreline. Another full conference day.

Week 8: 43.89 miles. Other runners were also out early around the hotel area on Sat and Sun.

---

Week 9

Mon

Rest. Got a sports massage for the first time. It was grand. Didn't feel like a lot of pressure was used, tbf.

Spent 25 minutes like an eejit trying to find my glasses, including going back to the beach with the torch on my phone. Had a dip in the sea earlier, it was nice. Glasses were of course, in the hotel room.

Tues 26/9

60 min very easy
    6.73 miles at 12:46

Very lacking in sleep. Knew 30 minutes in (about 7:10am) that it was going to be warm day. More conferencing. Late back from Dublin airport, some time around 2am. Zzzzz.

Used a few bars and gels whilst away. Generally left them to the end of the routines in case of needing the loo. Did the runs out foreign before breakfast, btw.

Weds 27/9

3x12 min @ Threshold / 4 min rec
    7.12 miles at 9:00/8:56/8:58

First run back on domestic turf. Read about the rain in the novices thread. :pac: Not too bad out there. Heavier rain kicked in from the second block. Drivers did their best not to splash me. Good few empty gel packets out the Skerries road...may have been a race out here recently. ;) Wet socks.

Thurs 28/9

60 min very easy
    7.41 miles 12:30

Back to the old shoes which were not wet.

Fri 29/9

Rest.

Sat 30/9

60 min very easy
    7.66 miles 12:43

Beautiful morning. Drank most of my water. Couple of other early runners out and around. Met them again down around the turn for Balleally. Couple of emergency vehicles heading out towards Skerries, similar to Thurs.

Sun 1/10

75 minutes at tempo. Longest continuous tempo spell of the plan, iirc.
    7.87 miles at 9:27, plus cool down brought it to 9.23 miles.

Not in great form for the first half as my head's not been great as of late. Hope that doesn't lurk and appear in a few weeks time, it's a battle I could do without. Headed down Kilhedge lane and Hannas Ave. Did this twice. The muck on the latter was some craic - plenty sticky, though a tree branch underfoot was more of a threat to me later on. Back of the legs were fairly muddy upon arriving home. Got an enthusiastic beep from someone near the end, don't know who as I didn't recognise the car. Seemed to contain people dressed as runners.

Garmin Express acting the maggot at the moment. Taper not far away.

Week 9: 38.15 miles.

Mon 2/10

Rest

Tues 3/10

60 min very easy
    7.38 miles at 12:46

In the morning I was trying find my hat and leaning far enough into the wardrobe that I may as well have fallen into it. Grand auld evening for a run after work. First time noticing the Autumnal feel of my route, including kicking through a few leaves.

Weds 4/10

2x30 min tempo w/ 5 min jog between
    9.02 miles at 9:17/9:25

Got the flu vaccine through work. Couple of nods from runners in the evening.

Thurs 5/10

60 min very easy
    7.67 miles at 12:37

Job application time. Tired.

Fri 6/10

Rest. Tried to use my Garmin 25 as a sleep tracker, no dice. It did, however, record an activity of 5.57 miles, so er, guess I move a bit in my sleep. Looked funny on the map too. :pac:

Sat 7/10

60 min moderate
    8.71 miles at 10:36 (cool down was a bit long, 2 miles)

Plenty of pumpkins on the farm out the road. Might buy one next week. Some East of Ireland race going on. Some poor sod barely moving, by the looks of it.

Sun 8/10

3 hours easy
    15.16 for the 3 hours at 11:53. Bit more just to get me home and out of the housing estates. 16.06 miles

Didn't sleep well. Didn't meet anyone else around on the road, tbh. Went out just after 8, up the Man O War, down to Loughshinny and returned. Was followed briefly by a Boxer dog who seemed friendly, thankfully didn't follow me back to the town. Earlier on a horse and donkey in a field stared at me probably thinking who is this eejit traipsing around the place on a Sunday morning? Tried 3 bars and 2 gels. Time on the feet factor did kick in a little after the 3 hour mark.

Week 10: 48.84 miles.

Highest weekly mileage of the plan. Tired. Roll on the taper.

Mon 9/10

Rest.

Ankle felt a bit iffy from Sunday, think it was largely gone once I left the office. Er, the niggle, not that ankle, that is. Somewhere around 10-11am I felt utterly exhausted - the previous week's mileage hit hard.

Tues 10/10

50 min very easy
    6.15 miles at 13:02

Again, a reminder of how short the evenings are becoming.

Weds 11/10

3x15 min @ Tempo w/ 5 min jog between
    7.90 miles at 9:23/9:12/9:19

Windy starting off and more tiredness on the agenda. Launched a new thing in work, some glitches occurred.

Thurs 12/10

50 min very easy
    6.46 miles at 12:40

Finished up and was stretching at the lamppost when some bloke walked up with 'do you mind if I ask you a question?' Brief chat, but was basically very complimentary about dedication to training...that he goes out walking, sees me once, then again an hour later and I'm never sweating. :pac: A little confidence boost this late on is good.

Fri 13/10

Rest

Sat 14/10

50 min very easy
    6.24 miles at 12:41

Passed some bloke - we were almost identical in clothing apart from his newer FD10 shirt and earphones. Another bloke later on was just starting out and on Operation Water Stash. Watched some Boston paramedics thing on Youtube. A photographer at an athletics event was knocked over by runner. :o No actual footage of the collision (broken ankle) and dunno how the runner faired out. Birthday duty later on (some cheesecake was had). Did some more online jobhunting.

Sun 15/10

2 hours easy

10:51 miles at 11:51

Final long run. Nothing on the club website about the weekly schedule, that I could see. Walked past the school almost forgetting to start running! Headed out the Man O War, up by Obserstown, across the Skerries road, take the turn for Skerries golf club, up to Baldongan and return. Passed 3 others going the opposite way. Very much noticed the change on farmland this week and actually one of the fields up at Baldongan is rather large indeed. A little muggy out there - I guess down to what's about to hit us.

Week 11: 37.26 miles

Not many notes this week. Sleep was poor and I didn't bother much with warm up/cool down, in the later stages of the week. Part weather/time (being busy) and tiredness. Even without the warm ups the plan itself was followed, as described.

Mon 16/10

Rest.

Tues 18/10

40 min very easy
    5.28 miles at 12:37

Had one of those 231 scam calls. Not whilst running. :pac: Didn't answer, wasn't previously aware that it's a scam, just saw Liberia on the phone and thought I'd skip that one.

Weds 18/10

4x10 min @ Tempo w/ 4 min jog between
    7.47 miles at 9:18/9:23/9:20/9:21

Second last spin on the tempo machine, well, last proper one. Only 15 minutes next Weds.

Thurs 19/10

40 min very easy
    4.95 miles at 12:34

Tried to find some bars I like. Supermarket was all out.

Fri 20/10

Rest. Job application sent in.

Sat 21/10

40 min very easy
    3.51 miles 12:36

Almost thought of scratching this one as my right ankle felt a bit funny after the first mile. This disappeared about 5 minutes later. Different supermarket later for the bars...nope.

Scribbled down a check list for the 29th.

Sun 22/10

75 min easy
    6.68 miles at 11:50

Awake until 3am. Porridge alarm at 6, second alarm after 7. Club at a 8. Good few laughs here before starting off. They were down for 10 miles ish. Knew I'd lose sight of them pretty quickly and did after 6 minutes. Right ankle a little iffy agin, but as above, disappeared. Did pop into my head once or twice that the odBeautiful morning out the back roads, fields of cabbage and leeks and good old hay bales. :) Very little traffic at this hour and it's just lovely to be out. Bars acquired - yay.

Next week - back in the office. Lots of stuff to sort out. Then just running, expo, park run volunteering and DCM.

Week 12: 27.89 miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Not many notes this week. Sleep was poor and I didn't bother much with warm up/cool down, in the later stages of the week. Part weather/time (being busy) and tiredness. Even without the warm ups the plan itself was followed, as described.

Mon 16/10

Rest.

Tues 18/10

40 min very easy
    5.28 miles at 12:37

Had one of those 231 scam calls. Not whilst running. :pac: Didn't answer, wasn't previously aware that it's a scam, just saw Liberia on the phone and thought I'd skip that one.

Weds 18/10

4x10 min @ Tempo w/ 4 min jog between
    7.47 miles at 9:18/9:23/9:20/9:21

Second last spin on the tempo machine, well, last proper one. Only 15 minutes next Weds.

Thurs 19/10

40 min very easy
    4.95 miles at 12:34

Tried to find some bars I like. Supermarket was all out.

Fri 20/10

Rest. Job application sent in.

Sat 21/10

40 min very easy
    3.51 miles 12:36

Almost thought of scratching this one as my right ankle felt a bit funny after the first mile. This disappeared about 5 minutes later. Different supermarket later for the bars...nope.

Scribbled down a check list for the 29th.

Sun 22/10

75 min easy
    6.68 miles at 11:50

Awake until 3am. Porridge alarm at 6, second alarm after 7. Club at a 8. Good few laughs here before starting off. They were down for 10 miles ish. Knew I'd lose sight of them pretty quickly and did after 6 minutes. Right ankle a little iffy agin, but as above, disappeared. Did pop into my head once or twice that the odBeautiful morning out the back roads, fields of cabbage and leeks and good old hay bales. :) Very little traffic at this hour and it's just lovely to be out. Bars acquired - yay.

Next week - back in the office. Lots of stuff to sort out. Then just running, expo, park run volunteering and DCM.

Week 12: 27.89 miles.

Yep, that's all that's left now! Confidence, patience, good training and HTFU will help you to a strong performance. Best of luck :)

Advertisement