Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Superheroes vs Supervillains Tournament!

Options
  • 08-05-2016 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭

It is time, ladies and gentlemen, for the final showdown.

Over the past number of weeks we have had a Best Superhero Tournament featuring 64 assembled superheroes battling for supremacy, which culminated in Batman emerging victorious over Wolverine in the final to become the champion. We then followed that up with a Best Supervillain Tournament where we assembled 64 of the most vile, evil supervillains who likewise did battle, and it was The Joker who had the last laugh defeating Loki in the final.

Now, as if we were The Beyonder, we are going to take the final 32 superheroes and the final 32 supervillains from those respective tournaments and pit them against one another to determine who is our ultimate champion!

If you are new to the game, the process is simple and adapted from games often seen on the pro wrestling forum, so credit to the guys there for the concept. It works like so: I will present 'ties' featuring the heroes versus the villains and you have to vote to determine which character you think deserves to go through. The reason for your choice is down to you.

The first character to get to 3 votes qualifies for the next round and the loser gets eliminated. Please try to give a reason why you are voting the way you are. We will go from 64 characters to 32, and then to 16, and so on until we reach the final.

I will try over the course of the tournament to keep the hero vs villain concept going as much as possible, and will separate the two during the draws.

I have done the draw for the first round and it has led to some great match-ups, including one in the bottom half of the round that I reckon is final-worthy. I was also curious to see if the draw would lead to ties featuring superheroes and their natural archenemies and it has happened once from what I can see. (That one is the eighth tie this round so watch out for that.)

So, without further ado, here is the first tie of the tournament which is a cracking all-Marvel match-up.

Gambit

250px-Newgambit.jpg

VS

Thanos

ThanosAvengersAssemble.jpg

It's the card-throwing member of the X-Men, Gambit, taking on the enemy of The Avengers, Thanos.

Which of these characters deserves to go through? First to 3 votes takes the tie.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,296 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm going with Gambit for this one of my all time favourite characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

Gambit

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Thanos

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Gambit, I've always loved him since the 90s cartoon that introduced me to xmen

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Thibus

Gambit, hands down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Gambit plays his cards right to vanquish Thanos. Next up we have a very interesting Marvel match-up.

The Silver Surfer

250px-Toss.png

VS

Venom

250px-Venom-artmm.jpg

It's the cosmic traveller, The Silver Surfer, taking on the alien symbiote, Venom.

Which character should advance? Vote now.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

The Silver Surfer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Glad Gambit won that first one.

Gonna go with Venom for this second face off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭sonic85

Venom is one of my favourite villains so I'm gonna go with him

Silver surfer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Silver Surfer ftw!

The Silver Surfer glides into the next round as we wait for the first supervillain to progress. Next up is a Marvel vs DC clash.

Black Widow

250px-Black_Widow_1.jpg

VS

The Penguin

250px-PenguinBatman.png

It's Russian spy and agent of S.H.I.E.L.D., Black Widow, facing off against crime boss and Batman foe, The Penguin.

Which character advances? First to 3 votes takes the tie.

Black Widow - I'd like to see some of the ladies progress a bit further into the competition, especially the bad-ass awesome ones like Natasha Romanoff

Black Widow.

If anyone from Marvel happens to read this by chance give Black Widow her own movie!

Black Widow

Black Widow leaves The Penguin snarling as she advances to Round 2. Next up we've another Marvel vs DC clash involving an Avenger.

Thor

170px-Thor_Vol_1_378.jpg

VS

Bizarro

216px-ClassicBizarro.PNG

It's the Asgardian god of thunder, Thor, taking on the strange duplicate of Superman, Bizarro.

Which character should advance? Vote now.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Thor.

Thor.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

Thor

Can't say I'm surprised with that result as Thor hammers Bizarro to progress. The next battle is harder to call, though.

Jesse Custer

34_JesseCuster.jpg

VS

Bane

Bane_%28Vengeance_of_Bane%29.jpg

It's the protagonist of The Preacher comics, Jesse Custer, versus the villain who once broke Batman's back, Bane.

Which character should reach Round 2? Vote now.

• Advertisement

Jesse Custer

Bane

Jesse Custer

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

Bane

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Bane

After a nail-biter, it's Bane that advances and he becomes the first supervillain to progress. Next up it's an all-Marvel meeting.

The Hulk

Hulk_%28comics_character%29.png

VS

Kraven the Hunter

250px-KravenTheHunterByJohnRomitaSr.gif

It's Bruce Banner's alter ego, The Hulk, taking on gifted hunter and Spider-Man foe, Kraven.

Which character goes through? Vote now.

Hulk SMASH

Just to keep things interesting, I'm gonna opt for Kraven on this particular one.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Hulk.

• Advertisement

The Hulk

Advertisement