Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Modified number plates

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Karsini wrote: »
    I've seen an odd one near where I live. I often see a car with reg plates that have no Irish county name on them. But for about a week per year, the plates are swapped with legal ones and changed back again, presumably to get it through the NCT. Someone really mustn't want the county name in Irish on their plate! :confused:

Probably a member of the lost tribe...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Vectra. Quibbling over semantics rarely strengthens your argument.

And This ^^ reply had no input to this thread.
    So really does nothing to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

Most fancy plates aren't legal but you will very very rarely get stopped for them and 99% chance nothing more will come of it if you are apart from being told to change them.

Coming from someone whos had them for years :D The mothers Passat had them for 8 years and there was never a word said and I've had various types on different cars for about 6 years and never got hassle either.

Once they're legible, some are ridiculous :eek: I personally think different style plates suit different cars. The standard plates do nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

millington wrote: »
    The standard plates do nothing for me.

But they're not really meant to "do anything for you"! It's just a means of identifying your car from the masses. Does the tax disc in your windscreen do nothing for you either? :D

JoeA3 wrote: »
    But they're not really meant to "do anything for you"! It's just a means of identifying your car from the masses. Does the tax disc in your windscreen do nothing for you either? :D

No it doesn't but I'm sure if I had the means to change it without any great repercussions then I would if I wanted to

I never said they were designed to be aesthetically appealing, I just prefer other ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

What about having your number plate up on the dash? I have seen a few Audis that have grills without a number plate recess with their plates up on the dash. Is this legal?

*Kol* wrote: »
    What about having your number plate up on the dash? I have seen a few Audis that have grills without a number plate recess with their plates up on the dash. Is this legal?

As far as I am aware no it's not but I have heard of judges accepting the fact that it was visible from the front of the car. This is Ireland, the law isn't always the law:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

*Kol* wrote: »

Definitely not - you may as well drive around with a Neon sign on your head to attract the Gardai's attention. And it absolutely screams felt-spec... IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

Went into a motor factors on outskirts of dublin, wouldn't even entertain making anything other than the normal ones...went to a motor factors down home who have a small selection on display. Didn't inspire much confidence man told me he heard of a guy got a fine of 1600 which got dropped to 900...didn't even get a chance to put the plates back on the car...admittedly I was told this was prob a rare case dependent on the gaurd😮😯

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

A German friend of mine finds it very weird but a bit flattering that you all appear to love his country so much that you pretend to be driving German registered cars.

I mean it's a bit like finding a car with Irish formatted plates in Germany. You'd assume they're a lover of all things Irish and the craic.

The stickers are the funniest bit though as its a little like putting up an fake tax disk, insurance and NCT in Berlin...

• Advertisement
Advertisement