Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boat Registration in Ireland

Options
  • 05-05-2016 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi All
    I am looking to register my 33ft sailboat in Ireland. (I am Irish BTW). I wish to register it because I want to go cruising to other countries and I will need registration papers in order to do so. I have looked at the other threads related to this topic but nothing definitive seems to be written there.
    From what I have gathered so far:
    - There used to be a small ships register for Ireland run by the ISA but it was shut down.
    - The only way to register a boat now seems to be through the full ships register which I believe is a complex and costly process.

My questions are:
    How many people just dont bother with the Irish Registration and go for the UK SSR, is this a common practice and if so Is it easy for an Irish person to do so?

Does anyone have any experience of registering on the Irish ships register and if so could they briefly detail the process and the costs?

As an Island nation we really should have this sort of thing sorted. Frustrating.

Thanks.
    b

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

You can register your boat with the Dept of Transport for a Ships Radio License here: http://www.dttas.ie/sites/default/files/publications/maritime/english/ship-radio-licence-form/ship-radio-licence-form-version-1-1.pdf

That will ensure you have an official Irish callsign and MMSI number.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ahun

I know, had to go through it myself, it is a shame there is no easy way to do it within the Irish system. I wrote down my experience, might help you:

https://attilavedo.wordpress.com/2016/05/02/registration/

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

Forgive my ignorance but do you have to fly the Dutch flag or can you fly the tricolour

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

copper12 wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance but do you have to fly the Dutch flag or can you fly the tricolour

Etiquette is that you display your national / country of registration flag at the stern and a smaller courtesy flag (country you are visiting) at the mast / spreaders.

http://www.rya.org.uk/infoadvice/regssafety/flagetiquette/Pages/flagetiquette.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Steve wrote: »
    Etiquette is that you display your national / country of registration flag at the stern and a smaller courtesy flag (country you are visiting) at the mast / spreaders.

http://www.rya.org.uk/infoadvice/regssafety/flagetiquette/Pages/flagetiquette.aspx
    Jeez, flag etiquette is long gone sadly. In Copper's case all he needs do IMO is wait until he plans a foreign trip, then register the boat somewhere in good time before the 'off'. Meantime, he ignores flying anything on the stern. That way he avoids attracting attention with his courtesy flag (which if I recall correctly, must be flown starboard crosstrees only when his National ensign is flying). As Copper smokes rollies, a Dutch Ensign and a 'visitor' flag would be A - Bad - Idea in the Peoples' Republic!!:D
    The number of boats going around with the tricolour on the stern is huge. most I'd guess are un-regged.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Jeez, flag etiquette is long gone sadly.

I disagree, I see lots of visiting boats with the correct (yes, stbd hoist) ensigns.

I also see lots that don't :D

I was brang up to to it the right way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Steve wrote: »
    I disagree, I see lots of visiting boats with the correct (yes, stbd hoist) ensigns.

I also see lots that don't :D

I was brang up to to it the right way...

Me too! I think I alrealdy told the story here about dipping the ensign to a nuclear sub out of Faslane. But apart from the Q flag and courtesy one, most amateurs have no idea. I was on my own in the RTYC bar a while back and an elderly member engaged me in converstaion on this very topic. He went quite rabid / vitriolic on the topic (but a very nice guy!) - apparently it is an issue over there also.

Advertisement