Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earth to run out of water by 2050

Options
  • 05-05-2016 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

I was watching RT (Russia Today) UK earlier and they interviewed a guy from Wikileaks commenting on a few of their latest leaks.

It mentioned that Nestle had some study done that states the earth will run out of water by 2050.

“Nestle starts by pointing out that a calorie of meat requires 10 times as much water to produce as a calorie of food crops".

From what the guy from Wikileaks said, Nestle did have this report done for humanitarian reasons but mainly because they have over 80 or so brands of bottled water. Nestle had only circulating the report internally and did not publish it which of course i guess what qualifies it as leak.

http://www.inquisitr.com/3046643/world-will-run-out-of-fresh-water-in-2050-says-leaked-report-earth-faces-catastrophic-fate/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Complete bollox dude

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

This will definitely happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,279 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Ever seen a picture of the earth from space? Mostly blue. Because there's not much water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

To be fair I'd believe a site called wikileaks about leaks. I presume it's a fairly big leak if we're running out in under 34 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

We can dig a deep well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

To be fair I'd believe a site called wikileaks about leaks. I presume it's a fairly big leak if we're running out in under 34 years.

Perhaps run by Irish Water?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's not that it'll run out by then. It's just gonna cost more to supply it to ever-growing and brand new populations.

In any event, you'd be hard pressed to be taking the advice of Nestle when it comes to water... or being a human with the audacity to stay alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

If we fix the wikileaks, we'll be grand.

It's not that it'll run out by then. It's just gonna cost more to supply it to ever-growing and brand new populations.
    Perhaps some form of organisation, responsible for maintaining water supply and infrastructure could be thrown together? Everybody could pay a small annual fee...?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Breaking news: oxygen to run out by 2049 so the water shortage won't affect us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'll do my part and pee more often. Ergo I must drink more beer as that seems to help.

smash wrote: »
    Breaking news: oxygen to run out by 2049 so the water shortage won't affect us!
    On a happier note, the planet appears to have an inexhaustible supply of both bull5hit and credulity.

I thought the soil was to break down by 2048 meaning we'd all starve. Thankfully enough sh!te is being generated by IRA threads in after hours to fertilise the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Its like a headline from Weekly World News.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Nestlé have always been very conscious of the importance of access to safe drinking water, in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 82,015 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

70% of the worlds fresh water is contained within frozen ice in Antarctica, would we not be best to try to warm the earth up to melt this to prevent us running out?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

endacl wrote: »
    Perhaps some form of organisation, responsible for maintaining water supply and infrastructure could be thrown together? Everybody could pay a small annual fee...?

:pac:

Maybe it shouldn't cost a person in Sandyford the same amount to get water to their home as a one-off builder/investor out in the sticks.

fwiw, I've paid all my IW bills so far and don't regret it. People should pay for it based on their usage and how much of a burden it puts on infrastructure to supply them.

IW is an absolute disaster though. I wouldn't blame anyone for not wanting to contribute towards it.

Maybe it shouldn't cost a person in Sandyford the same amount to get water to their home as a one-off builder/investor out in the sticks.

fwiw, I've paid all my IW bills so far and don't regret it. People should pay for it based on their usage and how much of a burden it puts on infrastructure to supply them.

IW is an absolute disaster though. I wouldn't blame anyone for not wanting to contribute towards it.

Feck off with your serious posts! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

endacl wrote: »
    ...the planet appears to have an inexhaustible supply of both bull5hit and credulity.

... and Irish People. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭al22

Many reports are published but most people have no attention.

Globally - shortages of food will start in less than 40-50 years from now. Even if people will start produce an artificial food. The Earth population is growing too fast. The ocean water is a most poisonous substance on the Earth around us. We survive swimming because our skin and immune system protect us. Just one ml of ocean water is enough to kill thousands of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I too call lies on this one.
    I'd believe the shortage of food for the world's population in the future rather than this.

Besides, imagine if there was a water shortage at some point. A better way of processing sea water would be developed. As it stands any joe-blow can boil up sea water, trap the steam which turns into drinkable water. That's as it stands let alone what if in the future or other better means that would be invented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

I don't know. The idea that the world requires water faster than we can treat it wouldn't be too far out of the realms of possibility but a lot of things don't require such water. You can water the plants and give to animals untreated with treated water being saved for human consumption.

That would be a lot later than 2050.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

There is/was a documentary on Netflix about Nestlé and their bottled water empire which was pretty good. If I recall correctly, it seemed they were more interested in profits than caring too much about how they got the water to the plant and there was a fair bit of trouble with local towns and water availability to the population.

I wouldn't believe this story at all.

Edit: the documentary is called Bottled Life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

entropi wrote: »
    There is/was a documentary on Netflix about Nestlé and their bottled water empire which was pretty good. If I recall correctly, it seemed they were more interested in profits than caring too much about how they got the water to the plant and there was a fair bit of trouble with local towns and water availability to the population.

Yeah, I remember Bill Burr's take on it around that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Maybe Danny Healy Rae has the answer...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

mad m wrote: »
    Maybe Danny Healy Rae has the answer...

Combustible water

• Registered Users Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Yeah, the world running out of water in the next 40 years or so - no, not going to happen unless we get hit by a huge meteorite or something catastrophic like that.

A few countries running out of water in the next 40 years or so - yeah, I'd say that there is a fairly good chance of that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

My mother wont have any Nestle products in the house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

lightspeed wrote: »
    From what the guy from Wikileaks said, Nestle did have this report done for humanitarian reasons.

That would be the big surprise.

Advertisement