Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a scam?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Uk automatically sends out refunds

I'm genuinely curious. It has been 7 odd months since this thread was last posted in. How did you find it and then think it was worth posting in?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

marcbrophy wrote: »
    The government of any country would never admit to owing you any back taxes, let alone actively seek you out to inform you of this :P
    The Revenue are never going to seek you out to give you money.

When I moved from the north to the south years ago, after a short time there was a small problem relating to to my tax status, basically my company hadn't paid tax and the Irish revenue didn't actually believe that I had been working here, with various knock on effects.

As we are all in the common travel area certain details should have been shared between UK and Irish revenues, to link my two profiles in effect. Steps were then taken to make this happen.

One unexpected result of this, of my simply asking the UK revenue to tell the Irish revenue who I was, the Uk revenue reassessed my entire tax situation from when I was last in the UK, and sent me a cheque in Dublin for a refund of taxes that I had no clue whatsoever about being owed.

So some places do actually have their **** together and make sure things are done right. Just not Ireland unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Chances are it's from revenue alright, the one that's based in a shanty town in Nigeria

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I'm genuinely curious. It has been 7 odd months since this thread was last posted in. How did you find it and then think it was worth posting in?

I'm pretty sure someone else posted in the thread earlier today but deleted their post. BrokenArrows wasn't the one who revived it.

And on topic, there have been reports on the news over the last couple of days that there's a phone scam doing the rounds where people pretend to be Revenue offering you a tax refund.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/scammers-ringing-people-pretending-to-be-from-revenue-1.2901281

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

Scammers just don't put the same effort in these days.
    I must pay this invoice right away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

brianomc wrote: »

Damn those efficient German foremen!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

brianomc wrote: »

Signed 'Von Foreman, Delivery Manager'

What a rebel. He comes from such a long line of foremen that the family adopted the job title as their surname. But not Von. Von never wanted to be a foreman. So he followed his dream and became a Delivery Manager instead.

What a man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

I think it's hilarious that revenue seem not to own the domain those emails are registered to. I rang them about similar emails and they're definitely fake. How did someone manage to get an address that matches the kind they email from? Why has nobody taken action to whomever the domain is registered to?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

When I moved from the north to the south years ago, after a short time there was a small problem relating to to my tax status, basically my company hadn't paid tax and the Irish revenue didn't actually believe that I had been working here, with various knock on effects.

As we are all in the common travel area certain details should have been shared between UK and Irish revenues, to link my two profiles in effect. Steps were then taken to make this happen.

One unexpected result of this, of my simply asking the UK revenue to tell the Irish revenue who I was, the Uk revenue reassessed my entire tax situation from when I was last in the UK, and sent me a cheque in Dublin for a refund of taxes that I had no clue whatsoever about being owed.

So some places do actually have their **** together and make sure things are done right. Just not Ireland unfortunately.

Irish revenue will,that too. Actually revenue is one of the government departments that is fairly well run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

I think it's hilarious that revenue seem not to own the domain those emails are registered to. I rang them about similar emails and they're definitely fake. How did someone manage to get an address that matches the kind they email from? Why has nobody taken action to whomever the domain is registered to?!

Its a problem with email spoofing not revenue. There's no checking of addresses in the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Moocifer

If Revenue ever email you all the email will tell you is to log on to your Revenue online account. Never anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

But unless I'm wrong the scammers don't have the domains like revenue.ie or whatever, they just dress their fake domains up to pretend they do. So it looks like the email is from revenue.ie but if you check the actual link itself it brings you to www.gjkgjntttkng.com.

The revenue can't do anything about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

You'll need to pay revenue €150 to realise the monies. Revenue only accept western union payments through their subsidiaries in Nigeria.

Mr. Okangongo is a delight to deal with. 15years working for Irish revenue in Nigeria. He was telling me about how the Chinese and Russian scammers are making it hard for him continue his good work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

RTE published a warning on their site just 5hrs ago,
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1210/837919-tax-bill-scam/
    must be plenty of gullible people out there falling for this stuff:

All these scams remind me of the Fonejacker phone call/video compilations from George Agdgdgwngo:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9biM_ZfIdo (may contain rather feisty language).

At 3'40" their is an issue with a pigeon inside someones bank account.
    Luckily enough I only pay for all goods and services using live pigeons as a barter exchange,
    so don't bother with monies or RFID cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭mrskinner

Revenue@irish.tax.ie
    Got spam email fron Mr. Poole, Revenue Credit Office!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

If you get offered something by e-mail it is a scam.
    E-mail is nil cost to them. Free bait. If one in 10,000 bite they are making money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Uk automatically sends out refunds

The UK isn't run by a bunch a morons who used to be school teachers though, so it has that going for it too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I've received two texts from "Revenue" (no number) in the past week asking me to log in and claim my refund "using my cellphone". I hope no vulnerable people fall for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,447 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Most likely the email addesses you see are fake too and they are directed to their own servers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Strange. Didn't notice that.
    I think it appeared on the boards homepage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Psychlops

I got an email in my spam box, from the address revenue@revenue.ie

It looks like the real deal, and says I'm entitled to a €300 tax refund and links to a form where I put in my details.... Spam?

If Revenue want to contact you, you will get a brown letter in the post, no emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Psychlops wrote: »
    If Revenue want to contact you, you will get a brown letter in the post, no emails.

Not true. I got an email from them the other day telling me I had new correspondence and to log in to PAYE Anytime to read it.

Key thing is though, there were no links in the email. If there's a link in your email from the Revenue, it's a scam.

Advertisement