Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to defend yourself in Dublin?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

That's how prohibition caused so many problems. Outlaw activities that are fun and you get a disgruntled crowd perfectly willing to break the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭sinead81

I am born and bred in Dublin 8 and I have to say that once you have common sense, I mean (as a female) dont walk on your own late at night down isolated streets, I wouldnt do that anywhere! Drink plays a huge part in most of the assaults. I can spot the junkies a mile away but thankfully most of them are all just scagged out of their heads to attempt to mug you

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Krav Maga is the Walter Mitty's martial art (sic)

I was thinking more of Bruce Lee's "art of fighting without fighting" (Enter the Dragon, boat scene).

(Think there was a walter mitty joke there that I missed...)

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Oink wrote: »
    I also think OP might be a little too worried.

Still, here's my advice: Krav-maga. It will teach you how to not get into fights, how to run away from fights, basically everything you need to know about fights. (And also quite a lot about how to fight, but you dont want to go there.)

Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals.

...Well apart from the weasel

OP, are you in Dublin, Ireland or Dublin, Chechnya?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,252 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Gangs roaming the streets? LOL, I can't help but think of The Warriors!
    "The_Brood, come out and playyy-a"

I've been living in Dublin for 10 years, going out to the pub in the city since the 90's, and working, college and school in the city centre since the early 90's. I've never had a single issue, a couple in the 90's in school walking down Buckingham street, but other than that it's safe. Avoid the obviously dodgy areas and you'll be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Echo a lot of the comments, I went to school in the city centre, university in the city centre, I work in the city centre, until a month or two ago I lived in the city centre (now in D9) and the OP isn't describing Dublin in any way that is familiar to me.

Advertisement