Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was your favorite movies you watched in school

Options
  • 02-05-2016 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭

We used to watch a lot of movies in school, the teachers didn't seem to be that bothered and were happy to leave us to it. Our french teacher used to put movies on all the time and smoke out of the window. Best ones we watched were

The 70s version of Charlie and the chocolate factory
    Monty Python and the holy grail
    Sleepless in Seattle
    The Terminal
    Schindlers List
    Mean Girls
    Saving Private Ryan

Oh and that Mel Gibson WW1 thing, the name escapes me. And a lot of only fools and horses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Reservoir Dogs, honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Mac and Me

That was the only film I saw in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

Kelly's Heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The Field (G'wan the Bull!)
    Silas Marner
    The Exorcist

The Wind that Shakes the Barley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭5star02707

Of mice and men

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Toy Story on a VHS bootleg that some lad brought back from Turkey.

2 weeks before the Leaving Cert then they showed us Shrek for some reason, probably to take our minds off the exams. They had to listen to 'man I love parfait' for the next two weeks after in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

In my day, the only entertainment we had at school was watching the turf burn in the open fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭s8n

Debbie does Dallas when we were in 4th class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Under Siege. The teacher fast forwarded through Miss July coming out of the cake topless.

No, I'm not joking.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

The Texas Vibrator Massacre, Love for the First Time and The Private Afternoons of Pamela Mann to name a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

It was like they only had one fcukin movie. When we had a free class, theyd get "Cool Runnings" out and stick it on.

I know the first 30 something minutes of that film like the back of my hand but haven't a clue what happens after that :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Movies in school ??

Eh, never.

Only time we ever had anything on the TV or projector was:

1. Science teacher was very good. We basically had the inter cert wrapped up in the bag months ahead of schedule so he would once a week have us watch a David Attenbourough documentary.

2. We watched Othello because that was the play for the Leaving Cert.

3. Some crappy low-budget public awareness productions in Civics/Religion class with some kind of message about drinking or teenage pregnancy.

Can't believe the teachers just let you kill an hour and a half watching a mainstream Hollywood movie :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

We used to watch a lot of movies in school, the teachers didn't seem to be that bothered and were happy to leave us to it. Our french teacher used to put movies on all the time and smoke out of the window. Best ones we watched were

The 70s version of Charlie and the chocolate factory
    Monty Python and the holy grail
    Sleepless in Seattle
    The Terminal
    Schindlers List
    Mean Girls
    Saving Private Ryan

Oh and that Mel Gibson WW1 thing, the name escapes me. And a lot of only fools and horses.

WW1 thing = Gallipoli, great film.

In French class, we only watched Jean de Florette & Manon des Sources, which were really good. I still remember the scene with the woman showering under the waterfall. We had the same teacher for English, and he brought Mr Bean episodes, when they were new, along with Hamlet (because it was on our Leaving Cert).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

WW1 thing = Gallipoli, great film.

In French class, we only watched Jean de Florette & Manon des Sources, which were really good. I still remember the scene with the woman showering under the waterfall. We had the same teacher for English, and he brought Mr Bean episodes, when they were new, along with Hamlet (because it was on our Leaving Cert).

Ah yes, quite right/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Only got to see Schlinders List (teacher had to cough loudly over sex scene :o) and Darby O' Gill and the Little People (thankfully no nudity on this one). :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

The Texas Vibrator Massacre.

*eyebrow raised*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Olishi4 wrote: »
    It was like they only had one fcukin movie. When we had a free class, theyd get "Cool Runnings" out and stick it on.

I know the first 30 something minutes of that film like the back of my hand but haven't a clue what happens after that :)

They all get stuck up in Andes and start eating eachother

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

In the first 4 years of my primary school, all students (junior infants up to second class inclusive) would go to the hall for a film on the afternoon of the first Friday of every month. This was 1979 to 1983, so Spiderman, Christopher Reeve as Superman, that kind of stuff. We had a plonker of a headmaster in the second half of primary school, who only allowed a film one time, and the film he chose was "All creatures great and small". For 8 to 11 year olds. No offence to any teachers on here, but some of your colleagues are just plonkers.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

In my day, the only entertainment we had at school was watching the turf burn in the open fire.

La-de-da with yer fancy heating.

We were doing a bit on the planets and solar system for a week so to round it off we got to watch Independence Day and Flight of the Navigator in one day. Teacher playing a blinder there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Sister Act, The Sound of Music, La Haine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

and the film he chose was "All creatures great and small". For 8 to 11 year olds. No offence to any teachers on here, but some of your colleagues are just plonkers.

I loved All creatures great and small when I was in primary school:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

The human centipede

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭CloudCumulus

Michael Collins in history
    When A Man Loves A Woman was supposed to teach us about alcohol abuse.
    Cinema Paradiso
    Strictly Ballroom, good fun to watch now that it's not for exam purposes
    Circle of Friends

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

We were brought to the cinema a few times. Dead Man Walking was probably the most interesting of the ones they brought us to.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,958 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Only film I say in school was 'Muzzy Mòr' once a week :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Witness, Romeo and Juliet (****e), Goodbye Lenin and my favourite Of Mice and Men, 'he got his hand caught in a machine' even became a running joke in our class

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Delicatessen, our French teacher showed it to us on the last day of Leaving Cert.

I'm pretty sure we also watched La Haine.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

"Henry V", the Kenneth Brannagh version.

I enjoyed it so much I actually bought it on VHS :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

A teacher who subsequently left the priesthood to marry stuck on 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' for us on VHS one afternoon.

It's the mark of a decent flick when you can keep 30 fuppin' eejits completely enthralled over a 2 hour period.

Advertisement